FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing a LOT of riders that have a LOOOONNNNNGGGGG way to ride in the next 23 hours.

~snip~ there are some epic rides in progress.
Beyond belief what many of thee riders are doing. Not only does it capture one's imagination in so many ways, it also pulls at your heart and fears.

Prayers, cheers and encouragement to the many riders who have "Gone Big" vs just going home.

Imagine riding 10 days at the pace and itensity of many of these riders and then putting it all on the line on the 11th day ...which is what many of these guyz and galz are doing. Wow. More cool than Fonzie.

Cheering all all of ya from Reno!

Last edited by a moderator:
What would you ride in the Hopeless Class?
From the looks of things, I'd say ANY BMW from ANY year. They're becoming more and more of a poor excuse for a motorcycle.
But they are still about 40% of the field, and one is in the hopeless class, a 20 year old GS, I see on the official IBR site they have Al holstberry riding a GS, looks like a stock FJR to me, It doesn't matter what he's riding I just hope he makes it back to NMexico as a finisher.

#168 is going to be down to the wire at this point. Some of these folks are cutting it very close.

#168 is going to be down to the wire at this point. Some of these folks are cutting it very close.
An 18-hour drive .... or thereabouts.

There are 20 hours remaining before penalties. If the rider is rested, he'll make it :)

An 18-hour drive .... or thereabouts.

There are 20 hours remaining before penalties. If the rider is rested, he'll make it
smile.png
Ahhhhhhh, I forgot about the 2 hour time difference. He can still pick up a couple of more bonuses then.
rolleyes.gif

Hey Twigg... question.

Maybe I missed it if posted, but is your Spot Tracker on your bike you loaned out so at least you can track it off the Rally radar?

Props to you again for doing that...
punk.gif

Hey Twigg... question.
Maybe I missed it if posted, but is your Spot Tracker on your bike you loaned out so at least you can track it off the Rally radar?

Props to you again for doing that...
punk.gif
Nope. Allen transferred his own Spot to my cradle.

He is not on the Public Spot page, and I don't have his private link. I've had a few text messages and all seems to be going well.

As the IBR nears its conclusion with some epic rides, I wanted to add my cudos to HotRodZilla and Twigg and any others that stepped up to assist this years competitors. HotRodZilla has done so for me in the past (oil change in his garage in the middle of an adventure).

It simply depicts a level of awesomeness that I have come to appreciate on this forum.

That said, when most riders wakes up Thursday morning and they have 24 hours to get back they are not going to run, get a hotel, then ride again for the last few hours to the 9am checkpoint in NM.

- Colin
8am penalties start, after 10am DNF

Dig deep Riders!!

;)

;)

When I finished my first IBR in 2011 I rode into the hotel at around 3am in the morning. I was both spent, frazzeled and completely wound up all at the same time. It took me a moment to get the bike parked, off the bike. Helmet and earplugs out. Hanging around was a couple other riders who had finished a few minutes before and were sitting on the ground just decompressing. A small gaggle of other people were all crowding around to welcome the riders in.
This always means a lot to the riders. Having someone there, even a complete stranger, welcome you back. In my case the very first person to walk up and congratulate me was Jim Owen. 'Nuff said.

- Colin
On reflection, I was surprised at how important a hug from Voni was when I pulled in at Missoula.

Do you think the northern guy might be trying for LIBI and BICA before heading south on 25? - seems like that's a lot of miles with time running out and some sketchy looking weather all the way down the Rockies....

I think they are coming down 385 to 71 (in CO) to avoid Denver and CO-Spring traffic. Wild Guess is they will pick I-25 up around Trinidad CO.

UUHHH.. strike that last as irrelevant... back to SPOT TV....

Amid all the 'who's riding where' posts can anybody answer me this:

Why have the rally organizers decided to have the finish location at a BARN? I would have thought a nice hotel with proper beds, real toilets, and warm showers would be far more deserving
grin.gif

Or is it like the scenes from the movie 'Witness' with Harrison Ford, where all the riders get extra points for helping to actually build the BARN as their final test
jester.gif

Sorry, please excuse my British humour (that's humour with a 'u')
winksmiley02.gif

Do you think the northern guy might be trying for LIBI and BICA before heading south on 25? - seems like that's a lot of miles with time running out and some sketchy looking weather all the way down the Rockies....
He could get LIBI. Not too sure about BICA. I thought he was going to turn south at Miles City, MT. Now, I'm thinking he'll turn south in Custer. If not, he's hallucinating. :) The miles from Custer to ABQ shouldn't be too much of an issue for this rider, but he's going to be cutting it close, for sure.

Amid all the 'who's riding where' posts can anybody answer me this:
Why have the rally organizers decided to have the finish location at a BARN? I would have thought a nice hotel with proper beds, real toilets, and warm showers would be far more deserving
grin.gif

Or is it like the scenes from the movie 'Witness' with Harrison Ford, where all the riders get extra points for helping to actually build the BARN as their final test
jester.gif

Sorry, please excuse my British humour (that's humour with a 'u')
winksmiley02.gif
This is confusing... We spent the weekend they took off at that hotel, the Sheraton in ABQ. The showers and toilets worked fine, the bed was super comfortable, and the room was really quiet, even with the AC on.

Not a Sheraton cheerleader, but really, what more could you ask for? (... and for only $100 per night?)

While re-reading the daily reports I just read that the rider I met at the bonus location near me (southern NJ) was the guy that collided with the mountain lion during IBR2011.

He could get LIBI. Not too sure about BICA. I thought he was going to turn south at Miles City, MT. Now, I'm thinking he'll turn south in Custer. If not, he's hallucinating. :) The miles from Custer to ABQ shouldn't be too much of an issue for this rider, but he's going to be cutting it close, for sure.
Approx. 1,000 miles in 16 hrs, with weather all the way down from Montana. He needs to get on 90, 25 now. Unless he's figuring on some penalty time. I'm pulling for him/her!

Mike Kneebone just stated that the accident the other day was caused by a hit and run driver on I-395.

Status
Not open for further replies.