FREE Pirelli Diablo Strada when you buy a rear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a Pirelli DS today and sent off the P-O-P required stuff after registering on the Pirelli website. We'll see how it goes from here. The tire remaining counter changed to 771 tires remaining after doing the web entry.

A set of tires should only last 6 to 8 weeks on a fjr. If they last longer than that you should sell your FJR and take up bikini waxing in a old folks home. Because you not riding near enough..hard enough!!! :bleh: Smitty

I must ride close to how Smitty does because my Pirelli Diablo Strada EMS's only lasted 3500 miles, mostly twisty rides in El Dorado wine country <_< Fu@k! The original Metzler Z-4's lasted 4500 miles (and didn't explode) :haha:

I have Avons in the garage waiting for some clear daze to get em installed. Anyone know of a better way than the stealer in Folsom? :blink:

Just a FYI guys and girls. I was checking out the Southwestmoto tire site and the AMT site for prices on the Pirelli Stradas and noticed that the AMT site lists the tires that fit the FJR and at the bottom of the list they also list the front and rear as FJR (OEM) and the rear is listed with an 'E' at the end. I e-mailed them and they replied that it is the beefed up version for the extra wieght and torque of the FJR. Southwestmoto does not list them like this. Also AMT list the 'E' version $10 higher than the same one listed above it. Is anyone buying the E version when they order the rear tire?

GP

Just a FYI guys and girls. I was checking out the Southwestmoto tire site and the AMT site for prices on the Pirelli Stradas and noticed that the AMT site lists the tires that fit the FJR and at the bottom of the list they also list the front and rear as FJR (OEM) and the rear is listed with an 'E' at the end. I e-mailed them and they replied that it is the beefed up version for the extra wieght and torque of the FJR. Southwestmoto does not list them like this. Also AMT list the 'E' version $10 higher than the same one listed above it. Is anyone buying the E version when they order the rear tire?
Well, that might explain (along with my heavy-handedness) why my other Strada rear wore down so fast. Good job GPR :clap:

I did notice that, but figured that the deal may not include the "FJR OEM" tire in the deal, so I just went with the regular 180/55 instead.

To be honest that just made me think that Yamaha is going to be using Pirelli Strada's as the OEM tire on the 2006 FJR. I guess we'll soon find out when they hit start coming in.

did ya notice they will only let you buy the rear tire from one place :angry:
Not so. Their agreement states it must be from a "Parts Unlimited" dealer. Well, just about everyone selling aftermarket motorcycle parts and accessories is a Parts Unlimited dealer. Parts Umlimited and Tucker Rocky are the two primary vendors in the USA for ordering that stuff. So, as long as you aren't buying your rear tire from some ebay buyer over in China or any private citizen, you should be ok.

Try calling your favorite internet tire seller and ask them when you have them on the phone if they are a Parts Unlimited dealer. See what they say.

FWIW, every tire I have ordered in the past 15 years either through mail-order or over the intenet has arrived with a Drag Specialties/Parts Unlimited wrapper on the tire.

I did notice that, but figured that the deal may not include the "FJR OEM" tire in the deal, so I just went with the regular 180/55 instead.
To be honest that just made me think that Yamaha is going to be using Pirelli Strada's as the OEM tire on the 2006 FJR. I guess we'll soon find out when they hit start coming in.
Yeah, but the OEM rear has a different number designation and higher price, while the OEM front is identical. And they did tell GPR that it was 'beefed up' for the FJR. Hmmm.

When I ordered , the beefed up version didn't show until I clicked on the tire size. Then the 'E' version popped up with a note about OEM for the FJR. Thanks to being forewarned I kicked in the extra 10 bucks.

Be interesting to see what Pirelli sends for a front since they know I'm on an FJR now.

did ya notice they will only let you buy the rear tire from one place :angry:
That's not exactly correct. You must buy from a "Parts Unlimited" dealer. There are hundreds of them! Go to parts unlimited's dealer locator and put in your zip code. It came back with 15 dealers within a 30 mile radius of my zip, and one of those delivers to my shop! I was just getting ready to buy a Strada rear, so this couldn't have showed up at a better time. So thankyou, thankyou, thankyou to Smitty for posting this one! :D :D :D

I also went for the deal. I bought from motorcycle-superstore.com. $125 shipped. Not the "E" model. Until this thread, I wasn't aware of one, and neither Pirelli's or superstore's website listed one. I saw that mototire did. Oh well, maybe next change.

Let's post results please. How long to get your tire, how much for mount, balance, how much mileage. I'm curious about the differnece between the "E" model and standard as to wear and performance. Every review I've read about this tire is positive. As to buying in town, I'd like to, but my local dealer wanted $210 including tax to CARRY the tire out the door. The REAR tire only. I didn't even price the front. Mount and balance extra. $125 shipped for the rear plus $25 for the front is just to good a deal to pass up.

The tire was $186 + tax at my dealer, but he tries to be as competitive as he can. Without asking, he dropped the price to $142. Still not as cheap as mail order but close enough for me to make the purchase.

Shep

sounds like a good deal i am in . any thing to save A FEW BUCKS . 3 teenage girls at home and yes there killing ME .

Let's post results please. How long to get your tire, how much for mount, balance, how much mileage. I'm curious about the difference between the "E" model and standard as to wear and performance.
I sent a query to their HQ about the "E" model. While browsing, found their calendar :eek: Definitely NWS (Which officially means Not Work Safe, or Hey Jeff, check this out!) Italians are so progressive! (is that racist?) Sorry Stef.

Thanks for the heads-up Smitty... I need new tires now anyway, good timing. I hope they corner and handle the wet as good as the Avons... or at least close. I went with the "E" version. They only give you 14 days to send in the receipt and rebate form. Mine will be in the mail today. ;)

Edit to add... yeah TC... Can you imagine putting up one of those calendars in an American corp. office? Hell, Eve will smack ya if it's in your garage. :headbonk:

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent a query to their HQ about the "E" model. While browsing, found their calendar :eek: Definitely NWS
Did you also notice that they have DECADES of those calendars online? Nice. B) Oh yeah, and make sure you let us know what they say about the "E" model.

Pirelli's website must be a bit behind. They don't list an E model or an FJR in their fitment catalog. They list ST1300 for the regular model. They weigh about what my bike does, so I don't think they are light duty by any means. Maybe an 06 oe tire. Yamaha has to buy tires from someone. Since they're related to Metzler, maybe they replace the Metzlers on the 06. If my local daeler had come down to 145 bucks, I would have bought from them also.

Oh yeah, and make sure you let us know what they say about the "E" model.
What they said, in its entirety:

The FJR1300 takes a special rear tire and it is the E spec. Many

times we see that lots of bikes take special tires. Hayabusa, FJR,

BMWs, Hondas are other examples.

Best regards,

PIRELLI MOTO

Best regards,

PIRELLI MOTO
Did you thank them for that "informative" answer? <_<

Best regards,

PIRELLI MOTO
Did you thank them for that "informative" answer? <_<
I think they hire "special" people to give out such comprehensive information. :blink: