FRJ A OR AE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't downshifting in the twisties suck w/ an AE? That would be the only reason that I wouldn't own one. I hear that they shift lightning fast.
Not sure what you mean.

I have never found this to be an issue.

Downshift before the corners, in the corner (which I'd never comfortably do with a standard) and upshift after the corners a as smooth as silk.

As with any vehicle, it takes getting used to.

I'm on my second FJR. The first was an 03 that I put 30,000 miles on with no issues. My current FJR is an '06 AE with 12,000. The AE is in it's element in the twisties. I upshift and downshift in mid corner if I want. The ECU slips the clutch until engine and wheel speed match and it's always smooth. The real key to riding one of these well is throttle control. To accelerate, just hold the throttle steady and start shifting. BAM, BAM, BAM just as nice as can be. For down shifting, just chop the throttle and click down through the gears. Smooth. I always use the left hand control, never the foot lever.

Slow speed is a little nerve racking until you master the throttle control, then it's not much different than slipping the clutch, you're just feeding throttle at the right time.

I would buy another one. I also currently own a GL1800 and a C1400 and find myself constantly trying to shift these with my left hand!

SteveF

Last edited by a moderator:
This has turned into a pretty funny thread. Hail the all knowing motorcycle god! I can't rattle off any random names of has beens that I raced with, but I have raced quite a bit but mostly off road and I would NOT ride an offroad bike with an auto clutch system. BUT I love my choice in the AE with my FJR. I would gladly ride either, in fact I may pick up an A this summer but I have tons of fun on my AE. It feels very natural on the drag strip AND alot of the guys at the strip think its pretty cool to have a paddle shift out of the box.

Bare

Doesn't downshifting in the twisties suck w/ an AE? That would be the only reason that I wouldn't own one. I hear that they shift lightning fast.
I think you have it backwards, Heidi. :) On the AE, you can keep the balls of your feet planted on the pegs and shift as often as you want, as fast as you want, in mid corner if you want. These things act like they were made for twisties!

jride

One other neat thing nobody has touched on yet in this thread concerning the Yamaha Chip Controlled Shift is no matter how you work the bike you will never ever blow a shift. In fact the only way you can get close to it is shifting the wrong direction. :eek: Just remember to turn the damn paddle shift on before nailing the throttle in first gear! :blush:

I was leery about longevity when I bought my first model year AE, but after 52k miles in 24 months I am one happy camper. :yahoo:

I'm no racer, I don't know any racers (current or has-beens), but I know this bike far exceeds the size of my gonads.

Brodie

:dribble: [SIZE=8pt]What did I just say?[/SIZE]

Sorry if this has already been beat to death
It well and truly has.

No matter what any one posts the ONLY way to know is to ride both.

No one who has an E model is going to openly admit they made a mistake and should have got the A model, and visa versa.

I personally don't like the E model but like everything it's a personal choice.

Yea? well Bullshit Okierider! I have been riding all my life and you can't tell me the auto clutch is better then a regular clutch, no way no how! If you can't use a clutch you should be riding a little scooter or maybe in your case a Hoveround! :dribble: Don't talk about my experience on bikes, you don't know me, I raced with Scott Parker, and Kenny Roberts, and last time I talked to them, they use clutches too. If clutchless is so hot of an item why doesn't Yamaha, or any other sport bike maker use them in their sportbike lineup, because no one would buy them! They are for entry level, old men, who got in over thier heads. :yahoo: Hows that for a Friday rant! And my buddies Dave Aldana and Gene Romero who I last saw in September wouldn't ride a clutchless bike either!
You really need to learn how to speak your mind :blink:

I wouldnt own an AE mainly because of the complexity, I keep things forever, and the less wizardry, the better. I have an Non ABS 05. But thats just my personal preference. Someone else mentioned F-1 racers and thought the clutch/shift mechanisms may be different I agree, paddle shifting is fast and accurate. If the AE has any disadvantage in full on powershifting, it MAY be the 1-2 shift. After that the increase of mementum, need/torque pressure on the next rear is much less. What do I mean? Well how fast are you going when you are at redline in 2nd gear?? I think teh AE would have an advantage in almost every situation except for the 1-2 shift, and long term service and maintenance. Key word there is think....

I've been impressed by what I have read and heard about the YCCS, so much so I considered an AE, but in the end, decided against it. Then again, I'm the guy who wants hand crank windows...... :rolleyes:

If this was just a dick measuring contest I'm sure I could swing with the best of them. If that was the point. I have ridden with, and work right next to guy who got real famous in the 70's as a world champion. (His last name is Baker, look it up) The guy who bought my '04 raced professonally untill he was 46. Who gives a rats ass.

I didn't buy my AE because I'm in any way physically challenged, I bought it because I like new technology, period. As far as how my AE compares to my other FJRs, the guy who bought my '04 is about 25 pounds heavier than me, and given the weight difference between the two bikes, ourselves and the slightly different gearing, what we have found is that the two bikes run dead even up to 140+ or so. YMMV.

What I have found is I love the way my AE works, especially once I really learned how to use it. Upshift, downshift, corners and straights, it's all good. Once again, YMMV. If you don't like the idea, don't buy it. I remember when I thought shaft drive and water cooling was sacriledge. If I still saw things that way, I could still buy a bike that doesn't have those things. As far as I'm concerned, anyone riding a motorcycle is a brother, why would I waste my time second guessing what makes other riders happy when it comes to their choice in rides. Again, YMMV, that's certainly everyones right.

If this was just a dick measuring contest I'm sure I could swing with the best of them. If that was the point. I have ridden with, and work right next to guy who got real famous in the 70's as a world champion. (His last name is Baker, look it up) The guy who bought my '04 raced professonally untill he was 46. Who gives a rats ass.
I didn't buy my AE because I'm in any way physically challenged, I bought it because I like new technology, period. As far as how my AE compares to my other FJRs, the guy who bought my '04 is about 25 pounds heavier than me, and given the weight difference between the two bikes, ourselves and the slightly different gearing, what we have found is that the two bikes run dead even up to 140+ or so. YMMV.

What I have found is I love the way my AE works, especially once I really learned how to use it. Upshift, downshift, corners and straights, it's all good. Once again, YMMV. If you don't like the idea, don't buy it. I remember when I thought shaft drive and water cooling was sacriledge. If I still saw things that way, I could still buy a bike that doesn't have those things. As far as I'm concerned, anyone riding a motorcycle is a brother, why would I waste my time second guessing what makes other riders happy when it comes to their choice in rides. Again, YMMV, that's certainly everyones right.
Very well said!!!

Steve Baker?

Old Tech or New Tech, you will need to decide. The arguement that you need to be old or unable to shift if you buy an AE is a joke. They are both great bikes it's just that the AE is better. :D

..... I raced with Scott Parker, and Kenny Roberts, and last time I talked to them, they use clutches too. If clutchless is so hot of an item why doesn't Yamaha, or any other sport bike maker use them in their sportbike lineup, because no one would buy them! They are for entry level, old men, who got in over thier heads. :yahoo: Hows that for a Friday rant! And my buddies Dave Aldana and Gene Romero who I last saw in September wouldn't ride a clutchless bike either!
I bet Formula One drivers said the same thing a few years ago too and now look at them. :D

Actually......When down shifting,clutch or clutchless,the brakes should be controlling the decreasing speed,harmoniously with the drivetrain drag.

thanks, I love a spirited debate, it usually results in lots of good info and this was no exception

Yea? well Bullshit Okierider! I have been riding all my life and you can't tell me the auto clutch is better then a regular clutch, no way no how! If you can't use a clutch you should be riding a little scooter or maybe in your case a Hoveround! :dribble: Don't talk about my experience on bikes, you don't know me, I raced with Scott Parker, and Kenny Roberts, and last time I talked to them, they use clutches too. If clutchless is so hot of an item why doesn't Yamaha, or any other sport bike maker use them in their sportbike lineup, because no one would buy them! They are for entry level, old men, who got in over thier heads. :yahoo: Hows that for a Friday rant! And my buddies Dave Aldana and Gene Romero who I last saw in September wouldn't ride a clutchless bike either!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea? well Bullshit Okierider! I have been riding all my life and you can't tell me the auto clutch is better then a regular clutch,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing personal, but:

If I read his post correctly, HE JUST DID!

Goshkers! Nothing like being open-minded. <_< YCC-S envy? :(

Seriously, I don't have an AE, but wouldn't mind riding one to experience it for myself--whether or not Kenny Roberts or Gene Romero approve.

Sorry if this has already been beat to death. Is the AE a good option for someone who likes to accelerate hard and rip through the gears or does it tend to respond poorly to fast gear changes and slip the clutch??

It seemed from the Yamaha web sight that it might not be the bike for that type of ridding and maybe the A would be a better choice for me

IT semms i messed up the topic FRJ?? OOPS I mean FJR :dribble:
I picked up a new 07 AE in October of 08..Love it. The shifting's probably not as slick if you're into drag racing, but on the road, it's tough to beat. This is a SERIOUSLY fast motorcycle, so even if the AE isn't quite as quick as the A, it's still way ahead of most bikes and fast enough to attract the local constabulary in a New York minute!

I bought my AE for the best reason of all-a GREAT price :yahoo:

I wish there were a manual override to release the clutch on the AE, but other than this, I don't really have any criticisms. Its a very nice bike.

Actually...no. This is one area the AE really surprised me. You can flick down 2 or 3 down shifts incredibly fast. Plus, the engagement is silky smooth as well. I've downshifted mid-corner with the bike pushed over pretty far and it was basically a "non-event".

As far as the AE vs. the A, this is a VERY subjective topic (as evidenced by the mindless rant of an earlier poster...Sheesh). I went with the AE simply due to a screamin' deal that basically fell into my lap. It did take me a few weeks to really appreicate the AE model. To be quite honest, I had a couple of weeks where I was bordering on buyer's remorse. But now, I'm very glad I went with the AE model. I truly don't miss the clutch whatsoever.

When it comes time to replace the bike, I will have an AE model at the top of my list. But I can't foresee replacing this bike for a long, long time.

Cheers,

Joe