Gen II Crash Bar Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ideally they are looking for someone that can leave their bike there for a day or two. (I suspect you'd get a free set, if you did this or at least a significant discount).
Hmmm...Might this person receive a loaner bike to get back home to Clovis on?
I don't know if they have any bikes to loan, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I suspect the answer would be no though.
Well, I offered. Haven't heard back yet....

:yahoo: Just talked to Steph. If you are like me, and the bars shipped prior to Racing905 realizing that not all Gen 2's are the same here's her solution, (if you haven't heard from her yet): She is sending a new bar out to replace the non-fitting one, and a return shipping label to send the old back. She was very nice on the phone, and even whined about having to go to a trade show in Indiana next week, (it's cold there ya know). Poor baby says it only gets down to like 45 degrees where she's at.....at it's coldest. :rolleyes:
she forgot to mention the wind chill factor.... keeps the temps under 65 even at midday. Of course I'm 5 miles North and probably 200' higher than her... :lol2:

I called Stephanie to see if they would ship them USPS, the answer was yes so I ordered the front set. Shipping to Nova Scotia with USPS priority was $26.00. It's $45.00 if you want it express.

Thanks NSrider, I didn't have a chance lately to investigate the shipping. $26 bucks by USPS is reasonable, and no brokerage

fees.

Frank from the Hat

I had a voicemail today and Stephanie is shipping my new right bar. Even though I have mine installed, she wanted me to have a new one and make sure it fit with the changes. I think I like these guys... I'll definitely take any other business I can their way. ;)

Now, if I could just get the bike back from the shop in a timely manner... :unsure:

Reading through all this, am I correct that no one has a Gen 1 version of these yet? I see they are still looking for a test mule, are they going to be able to build these to fit the Gen 1 without cutting the fairing? Sorry if these ?'s have been answered, I cruised through without seeing that specific info.

Gen-I will have to have a hole in the fairing, no way around it. The engine bolt is inder the plastic. And it would have to be a well-dressed hole, as the edge would be exposed, not like a slider where the slider covers it overs.

Reading through all this, am I correct that no one has a Gen 1 version of these yet?
Correct

I see they are still looking for a test mule, are they going to be able to build these to fit the Gen 1 without cutting the fairing? Sorry if these ?'s have been answered, I cruised through without seeing that specific info.
I was told that the Gen I bars need to stick out farther, as the plastic is approx. 1-1/2" wider on each side in that area. As I understand it, the fairing will still need to be drilled for the upper mount to go through it.

And yeah, we're still waiting for somebody to step up for the collective and get their Gen I down that way for a couple of days. The vendor is willing to make a Gen I rear set as well, provided they can get a model to work from....

Well, I tried the fitment of a gen 2 crashbar set on my 05 today.

1) the rears are WAY different (as Toe predicted :) ). The radius of the bends would need to be a lot tighter. I could modify the brackets and make an offset for the peg mount, but it would look like crap. If they are going to make a set for the gen 1's, I'm certainly not going to bother tearing this set up to make it work.

2) the fronts are close. I didn't see the distance of the plastic from the engine mount as too much of a clearance issue. If it is, a small spacer like used for the R&G sliders would be more than enough. My biggest problem was the distance from the front mount to the rear needs to be about 3/8" more. Also the rear mount on the right side is rubbing on both the engine cover to the front and the outer portion of the frame to the rear. The rear of the left side is threaded for the long bolt that goes through and is much smaller diameter tube so no issues. Because I could not get the two engine mount connections made I did not see where the bottom shaft would feed through just forward of the engine. I think I could bend & grind (similiar to Duff's mods) to make the fronts work. I need to enlarge the holes in the plastic to 1½". Again I think I'm going to hold off till 905 decides if they're going to make a gen 1 specific set. If not I'll modify.

Oh, & Wild Bill pegs wont work with these. Not that somebody would want to do that anyway :)

Well, I tried the fitment of a gen 2 crashbar set on my 05 today.
1) the rears are WAY different (as Toe predicted :) ). The radius of the bends would need to be a lot tighter. I could modify the brackets and make an offset for the peg mount, but it would look like crap. If they are going to make a set for the gen 1's, I'm certainly not going to bother tearing this set up to make it work.

2) the fronts are close. I didn't see the distance of the plastic from the engine mount as too much of a clearance issue. If it is, a small spacer like used for the R&G sliders would be more than enough. My biggest problem was the distance from the front mount to the rear needs to be about 3/8" more. Also the rear mount on the right side is rubbing on both the engine cover to the front and the outer portion of the frame to the rear. The rear of the left side is threaded for the long bolt that goes through and is much smaller diameter tube so no issues. Because I could not get the two engine mount connections made I did not see where the bottom shaft would feed through just forward of the engine. I think I could bend & grind (similiar to Duff's mods) to make the fronts work. I need to enlarge the holes in the plastic to 1½". Again I think I'm going to hold off till 905 decides if they're going to make a gen 1 specific set. If not I'll modify.

Oh, & Wild Bill pegs wont work with these. Not that somebody would want to do that anyway :)
thanx much Vol...I'm a waitin' for what happens for Gen I bars as this juncture...

I *just* bought mine..... guess I'll either skip the front set or sell the pegs and get some that will work with these bars... decisions, decisions...
yeah, I like my WB pegs and use them more than my stock ones (I tour alot, so far)

guess I'll sell them if I get crashbars and go with Kury's; shoot I sold my Vulcan 750 with just the Kury setup I could have used

don't think I'll put the floorboard Kury's that are on my Goldwing (yech!)

glad I haven't purchased R&G sliders yet as they would have to go, too. I'll just wait and slow down till I get something in the way of crash protection for my Isabella...

Mike in Nawlins'

Received the following in an email from Stephanie just a few moments ago:

Good News....Adrian was able to find both an 07 and 08 AE model at the dealership. He brought the bars with him to test the fitment. He will have to extend the bar out a few inches for it to clear the electronic box, but everything else lines up. He took down all of the measurements and he will start building the bars for the AE model today. It should only be a few days before they ship. Also, he is making the change for the "A" model which I explained he is making that mounting point smaller in diameter, so there will be no grinding neccessary. (For those who are worried about that)
So shipments will resume soon.
Spook, looks like AE bars on the way

Last edited by a moderator:
Will these work an an 07 AE????
Eventually. The 905 folks told me they had to make an adjustment for the AE model.

Thanks for the replies to my questions, I'll stand next to everyone else in the Gen 1 group waiting to see how a finished version fits our model.
I'm sure when a Gen I version is finished, it will fit. Things would happen much quicker if somebody with a Gen I would step up and let them use it to model from.
I went as far as to take some detailed photo's of my Hydration kit in hopes that they can make the Gen I rear bars fit with it in place.

I went as far as to take some detailed photo's of my Hydration kit in hopes that they can make the Gen I rear bars fit with it in place.
Kewl. I figured the hydration system was another item I was gonna have to work around (or just move it elsewhere). I noticed in their installation photos that they had another peg placement setup on their rear guards, but didn't make it to the finished product I guess. It just offset the peg up and forward a bit.

I WILL TAKE A PAIR OF FRONT AND BACK IN BLACK. IT LOOKS LIKE I GO STAIGHT TO THE MANUFACTURES WEB SITE AND ORDER.