Gen II Crash Bar Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does Stephanie send an email before she ships? She did phone me shortly after ordering to confirm I did not have an AE. I've received neither bars nor email and am beginning to wonder since some are posting they were among the last to buy and already have theirs.

I got an email from UPS that it was on the way.

Got my crash bars on thursday. Planning to put the on this weekend. The bars look great!
mine are on their way but still got a ways to go

COMMERCE CITY,

CO, US 02/26/2009 10:26 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

CERRITOS,

CA, US 02/25/2009 2:13 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

CERRITOS,

CA, US 02/24/2009 11:41 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

CHULA VISTA,

CA, US 02/24/2009 8:30 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

02/24/2009 6:46 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN

02/24/2009 6:31 P.M. FORWARDED TO THE FACILITY IN THE DESTINATION CITY

US 02/24/2009 6:44 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

I might call or wait for Renegade to get an update. I had mine shipped to Garauld for paint matching...so I don't know that I would get an email or call before they shipped. I'm sure Garauld would inform me when they arrive.
Same here. I am waiting to hear from Garauld. Stephanie was waiting to the end of the order for the Garauld orders since she knows he is painting them. She wants to make sure all of the bugs are worked out before he paints them.

I received a PM asking a question that I think may benefit others. It really came down to clarification of some comments I made about the original right side bar and what was wrong. Here is a synopsis of my reply to clarify:

Q: The instructions tell me not to use my original nut on the rear mounting bolt and to thread it into the bar, but the bar is not threaded, DUH!

What they failed to tell you (at least in my instructions) is that the rear mounting bolt gets flipped around so that you insert it into the right side and it threads into the left side bar. The left bar is threaded and becomes the "nut" for the rear mounting bolt. Of course, if you start on the right side as they suggest, you can get confused by this easily... as I did. Anyway, remove the rear mounting bolt & nut, install the right side first and just slide the rear mounting bolt into the hole and through to the other side. When you install the left bar, your bolt will have threads to screw into.

Q: I received my crash bars but the right side appears to be about 1/8" short in the rear and won't allow the rear mounting bolt to line up.

My right side bar was not "short", it was just the right length (as I suspect yours is) it just would not slide far enough to the rear to make a clean opening for the bolt to go through. This was caused by clearance issues between the frame and the engine cover. As I said in the thread, I ground some metal off of each side (front & rear actually) to clearance the bar and make it fit. My replacement bar that just arrived had a smaller diameter tube used in the rear than my first one and the clearance was not an issue. (1.25" OD tubing on the original, 1.0" OD tubing on the replacement)

I hope this helps others that may have received the original version of the right side bar. An easy way to tell would be to check the diameter of the tubing used on the rear mounting point. If it is 1.25" OD, it is the original design and may have clearance issues on 09, 08, 07? but I suspect will fit an 06 since something minor changed from the original bike used to design the bars.

I just wanted to add a few pictures of the Crash Bars with my old TOGs on them.

Thanks to Garauld for the extended bolts!

I added my old TOGs to my Crash Bars to see how they looked, add some protection and a place to put my feet.

Anyway, I think they look fine and will have to decide between them and the ones 905 may be sending. I'm guessing the 905Racing sliders may be buttons, but not sure. Oh well... enjoy!

Right Side

p98514546-4.jpg

Head-on

p397144925-4.jpg

Left Side

p403132126-4.jpg

My Betty

p331910542-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to add a few pictures of the Crash Bars with my old TOGs on them.
Thanks to Garauld for the extended bolts!

I added my old TOGs to my Crash Bars to see how they looked, add some protection and a place to put my feet.

Anyway, I think they look fine and will have to decide between them and the ones 905 may be sending. I'm guessing the 905Racing sliders may be buttons, but not sure. Oh well... enjoy!

Right Side

p98514546-4.jpg

Head-on

p397144925-4.jpg

Left Side

p403132126-4.jpg

My Betty

p331910542-4.jpg
I'll try to do that with the sliders I have already on when I get the bars in. I still haven't gotten them and it has been a loooong time. They said maybe this week from an email this past week. How'd you install the sliders? Are the crash bars fitted with a bolt on spot on the ends to accomodate it or what?

doctorj

<SNIP>How'd you install the sliders? Are the crash bars fitted with a bolt on spot on the ends to accomodate it or what?

doctorj
The TOGs/Sliders are installed with longer engine mounting bolts. I had them custom made by Garauld. Having longer engine mounting bolts adds leverage for bending, but the leverage is countered by the stability of the crash bar. Everything seems pretty solid to me.

By the way, if/when 905 Racing does sliders, this is how they will be mounted. They will send a slider that fits into the end of the crash bar and a longer engine mounting bolt to reach the frame.

Well I got the front bars on my '06 AE, thanks Duff for the coaching. HOWEVER, I had to remove the plastic gear

position cover to get the left bar on. I don't know if I got the left bar that is specifically modified for the AE but

it needs to be moved out about 1/2 inch where it attaches to the aft mounting tube to clear the cover.

I will check with 905 Racing tomorrow on this. Other than that they fit fine.

BTW Duff, your bike looks great with the bars mounted.

John

Well I got the front bars on my '06 AE, thanks Duff for the coaching. HOWEVER, I had to remove the plastic gearposition cover to get the left bar on. I don't know if I got the left bar that is specifically modified for the AE but

it needs to be moved out about 1/2 inch where it attaches to the aft mounting tube to clear the cover.

John
Since I do not have an AE, I'm not sure about the issue you had. I'm glad they fit though.

Thanks for the compliment. I like keeping Betty lookin' good... then she treats me good! :rolleyes:

Well I got the front bars on my '06 AE, thanks Duff for the coaching. HOWEVER, I had to remove the plastic gear

position cover to get the left bar on. I don't know if I got the left bar that is specifically modified for the AE but

John

I will getting my bars for my 07ae tomorrow, but I think I'll wait until weekend to install. Post when you get the answer from 905 racing.

Pat, I talked to Adrian a few minutes ago. He's going to go to a Yam dealer to take more measurements for the AE. He said he would call back after he got back.

The front left bar they sent me needs about 3/8 to 1/2 inch length added to the rear mounting tube to clear the gear position

sensor cover. It fits fine if I take the cover off. The length of the rear mounting tube on my bar is 5&1/16 inch from the face of the nut to the rod at the weld. It appears it needs to be about 5.5 inches long at that point to clear the housing.

John

Pat, I talked to Adrian a few minutes ago. He's going to go to a Yam dealer to take more measurements for the AE. He said he would call back after he got back.
The front left bar they sent me needs about 3/8 to 1/2 inch length added to the rear mounting tube to clear the gear position

sensor cover. It fits fine if I take the cover off. The length of the rear mounting tube on my bar is 5&1/16 inch from the face of the nut to the rod at the weld. It appears it needs to be about 5.5 inches long at that point to clear the housing.

John
Interesting, I know they checked fitment with a AE before they made them, maybe the measurements didn't translate when they made the Jig. Any chance they can use a space with your bars to make it work?

John

Thats what I'm seeing too. I went ahead and installed it anyway, I'm thinking that i will in the near future I will just take a round file to the sensor cover and be done with it .

John

Ok John, let me know what he says when he calls you back. If they add a 1/2" won't that throw everything else off?

Today I installed my bars front and rear on my 06 AE. the rear went on fairly easily except that I had to relocate slightly with a homemade bracket the mounting strap for my AudioVox CC vacumn cannister. The issue with the left hand front units are as have been previously above noted. The dimensions for the mount are cut too closely. I too had to cut away part of the plastic cover to get it re-installed. the cover is still difficult to remove and would not be good if anyone riding an AE had a loss of power and needed to manually shift the gearing on the roadside. the easy fix as I see it is for the rear post that attaches on the left aft engine support location to be lengthen about 1-1.5 inches to afford more clearance for removal and install of the YCCS plastic cover.

I have not called the shop yet but will do so and give them my thoughts. Also, has a decision been made on them proviing the sliders as was once announced. All in all a useful farkle for the bike.

Got mine today but it will be a while before I get a chance to put them on. If there are issues with the shifter side I think i will wait till they work it out.

I tried calling stephine today and the number was disconnected, what number are you guys calling?
The number on their website... I just tried it and it's NOT disconnected...

Don't be scaring me like that....

For questions on our products, services, or to schedule an event contact:

Aaron Celiceo at (619) 210-4777

or e-mail [email protected] For ordering info contact:

Stephanie at (619) 210-3787

or e-mail [email protected]

I tried calling stephine today and the number was disconnected, what number are you guys calling?

Sorry, I was getting scared too, but the number for Stephanie the (619) 210-3787 said it was disconnected, I tried it twice, the other number for Aaron was ok. I will try it again maybe something is wrong on my end. By the way I just recieved a box from UPS, not sure if I should bother installing the left side, until I hear from Stephanie or Aaron, since I have an AE.

the number off their website worked okay for me yesterday afternoon. I'd called for order status, and since i was late ordering, mine won't leave until tomorrow. :( It's almost like waiting for Christmas

but, since I've been sick with flu/bronchitis, I haven't ridden in two weeks anyway, so no big rush-I'm glad i got a chance to get in on this after trying and failing to locate police style crash bars for the FJR since I bought it almost two years ago.

Sorry, I was getting scared too, but the number for Stephanie the (619) 210-3787 said it was disconnected, I tried it twice, the other number for Aaron was ok. I will try it again maybe something is wrong on my end. By the way I just recieved a box from UPS, not sure if I should bother installing the left side, until I hear from Stephanie or Aaron, since I have an AE.