Gen II Crash Bar Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completed installing front and rears on my 09. Front went smooth except for the instructions on installing rear engine mount bolt. Mine had bolt on left side and nut on right side.

Rears are on but not without modifications. Right side went on with no problems except missing bolts for passenger foot pegs were not sent for either side.

Left rear bolt pattern did not line up with muffler bracket. In order to get it on I drilled out the upper 2 holes with 3/8" drill bit. I installed bolt in foot peg first, then the 2 bolts on top. Almost crossed threaded top 2 because fit was still not right. Had to lift muffler a little to get last bolt threads started then tightened all.

Bought a couple 1 1/2" by 1/4" #20 threaded bolts for passenger pegs but the tolerances are so tight that standard bolts will not work for either bracket.

I am made a run with them and all works well. One minor caveat is when walking the bike to and from garage the rear gaurds hit me in the calf so I take shorter steps now.

Will make hardware run tomorrow and install passenger foot pegs and will note if there were any problems here.

Hi everyone,

Did not read the entire thread so if this has been mentioned I apologize

I Don't have an FJR as of yet but I am hoping to have one later this year or early next spring. When I do get one I will be installing these bars. I am curious as to the rear foot peg. I looks in this picture that the added peg bracket moves the peg up and rearward. I would think that would really tighten up the passengers legroom.

If the FJR peg pads are screwed to the peg like my Concours, I would rather remove them from the peg and attach them to the bar itself. This would return them to almost the exact stock position.

Seams you could drill holes in the bars, weld in an insert to slip the screws through (would want the insert to naintain structural integrity of the bar) then using longer screws just attach the pad to the bar. If the profile of bar and pad are not exact, some shaped rubber or cork/rubber material could be epoxied to the pad to match the bar profile. If your that anal about it anyway.

Just a thought.

Rear2.JPG

I had to drill out the third mounting point (the one that goes to the rear passenger peg). I installed the other two points and marked where I needed to drill to widen the hole. I did the drilling on the bars and not the bike's footpeg mount of course :)

Rick,
You have an '07-A, bars fit w/no problems? Twisted has an '07-A with fit problems. My bars ('07-A) just arrived at Garaulds for paint; he called me after my last post and I've put the paint on hold until I'm sure they will fit. Wasn't thrilled with having to re-paint if they didnt fit properly. Not sure what I can do other than ship them here to make sure they fit then ship them back for paint...PITA. Any1 else have an '07-A with fit problems? Any1 else have suggestions......

what size bolts/nuts did you end up getting to mount the rear foot pegs?

Completed installing front and rears on my 09. Front went smooth except for the instructions on installing rear engine mount bolt. Mine had bolt on left side and nut on right side.
Rears are on but not without modifications. Right side went on with no problems except missing bolts for passenger foot pegs were not sent for either side.

Left rear bolt pattern did not line up with muffler bracket. In order to get it on I drilled out the upper 2 holes with 3/8" drill bit. I installed bolt in foot peg first, then the 2 bolts on top. Almost crossed threaded top 2 because fit was still not right. Had to lift muffler a little to get last bolt threads started then tightened all.

Bought a couple 1 1/2" by 1/4" #20 threaded bolts for passenger pegs but the tolerances are so tight that standard bolts will not work for either bracket.

I am made a run with them and all works well. One minor caveat is when walking the bike to and from garage the rear gaurds hit me in the calf so I take shorter steps now.

Will make hardware run tomorrow and install passenger foot pegs and will note if there were any problems here.

what size bolts/nuts did you end up getting to mount the rear foot pegs?
I could not find socket bolts, the store only had cap bolts 6mm X 40MM. and the did not have stop nuts so I bought lock washer instead. I used stainless steel.

On the right side there was not enough clearance to use the positioner plate so I did not use the footpeg spring,ball bearing or positioner plate.

The left side did have enough clearance.

I am debating on if I want to leave the passenger pegs on or just cover the gaurds and use them as the foot rest.

Any word on bars for the Gen 1 , If not I'm going to find a local fabricator.
I have a set paid for, and they had a Gen I in for fitting a few weeks ago. I expect to get some pretty soon, and we'll probably announce a Gen I (and maybe II again) group buy once they are ready to produce them.

Chris
The delay on the AE bars are getting frustrating. Two weeks ago, they explained that they were doing the final measurements for the AE. I also asked about the problem with some people finding some of the rears do not fit. They said that they now know what is going on and verified it with a recent set. Since the rears are the first time they have made a product with a full 180 degree bend, the bend is changing during the heating process for powder coating. They are going to recheck the rears after the heating process to fix it. Mine will be going to Garauld for Cerulean Silver and they cannot say whether his heating process will affect the fit as well.

Chris
The delay on the AE bars are getting frustrating. Two weeks ago, they explained that they were doing the final measurements for the AE. I also asked about the problem with some people finding some of the rears do not fit. They said that they now know what is going on and verified it with a recent set. Since the rears are the first time they have made a product with a full 180 degree bend, the bend is changing during the heating process for powder coating. They are going to recheck the rears after the heating process to fix it. Mine will be going to Garauld for Cerulean Silver and they cannot say whether his heating process will affect the fit as well.
I can understand your frustrations... I don't have my rears back yet.

I could be wrong but doesn't Gary just paint them? I don't think he heats them in any way so that's unlikely to change them.

FWIW...

I doubt it will affect any currently produced rears but I'm asking 905 to look at changing the rear peg placement to something more like:

PegLocation.jpg

which IMHO would be preferred over where they are now.

It would certainly make the mount a little more complicated than what they have but worth doing I think.

-MD

...I'm asking 905 to look at changing the rear peg placement.It would certainly make the mount a little more complicated than what they have but worth doing I think.
And looks like it would be much more conducive to mounting the hydration kit base. :clapping:

I'm patiently waiting for progress and totally staying out of their hair, as to minimize the "group buy blues"....

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW...
I doubt it will affect any currently produced rears but I'm asking 905 to look at changing the rear peg placement to something more like:

PegLocation.jpg

which IMHO would be preferred over where they are now.

It would certainly make the mount a little more complicated than what they have but worth doing I think.

-MD
They might need to be off-set a little more forward than that to accommodate the heel of a riding boot. I liked what someone else had done by placing a material on the bracket itself. I might attempt that.

Currently, if mine would fit, that footpeg placement is going to raise the feet of my pillion. I might skip the footpegs if A) they would fit and B) the pillion is ok with them after a 200 mile "shake-down ride.

Home sick today (food-related) - I might make a final attempt at getting the rear bars on and call 905 with my frustrations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone else having problems contacting them. I've sent a few emails and called several times trying to order a front set. I've never gotten an email response. They have tried calling back twice, later in the evening when i'm at work and can't answer the phone. 2nd shift can suck sometimes. I'd order them from their website, but it doesn't give me an option to order just the fronts. Do I need to know the secret handshake?

Is anyone else having problems contacting them. I've sent a few emails and called several times trying to order a front set. I've never gotten an email response. They have tried calling back twice, later in the evening when i'm at work and can't answer the phone. 2nd shift can suck sometimes. I'd order them from their website, but it doesn't give me an option to order just the fronts. Do I need to know the secret handshake?
You can order the fronts only (now$175.00) from the super secret handshake page here:

https://secure1.netbilling.com/cs/store.cgi...p;prod_cat=3105

It's in the handbrake section.

I just talked with Stephanie and she said that she would hold off on my AE set another week. She just sent out an AE set and wanted to confirm with them that they fit before they send mine to Gary for painting.

Regarding the rears, she said that the change during the heating appears to be slight. She said that one set returned was not off enough that they thought they would not fit. She thought that that person was using the wrong size bushing which might affect the lining up of the holes. She said that it is best to get all the bolts in before tightening them up (but I am sure the people with fitment problems would know that).

I just talked with Stephanie and she said that she would hold off on my AE set another week. She just sent out an AE set and wanted to confirm with them that they fit before they send mine to Gary for painting.

Regarding the rears, she said that the change during the heating appears to be slight. She said that one set returned was not off enough that they thought they would not fit. She thought that that person was using the wrong size bushing which might affect the lining up of the holes. She said that it is best to get all the bolts in before tightening them up (but I am sure the people with fitment problems would know that).
With my luck, the AE beta bars she just sent out was to me :dribble: !

Oh well, if it was me, hopefully it fits (thinking positively) :rolleyes: !

Best Regards,

Shane