Gen II Crash Bar Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone is on the fence because the price might be higher than the $150 per set stated in the begining, I called them last Friday and they said they would still honor the price. But who knows for how long.
Good to see they work, sorry about the bike though.
I will call and order a set, but I have a AE version. Did they ever get a good fit on a AE? I looked over this thread, but might have missed it they got their hands on a AE version.

Glad you are okay Renegade. Not the kind of stuff we like to hear, but as long as you can walk away, ..that's good. That the bike survived, ...that's just gravy!

Glad you are okay Renegade. Not the kind of stuff we like to hear, but as long as you can walk away, ..that's good. That the bike survived, ...that's just gravy!
Yep, anytime you can walk away, count all your digits and extremities, is a good day. :yahoo:

All I recall is hitting my head, it happened that fast. Helmet's good, jacket is good, gloves (check). I was wearing jeans, and if I hadn't had the benefit of what ever was lubricating the street, I'd be hurting. There's no real rash, it's more like a rug burn.

I'll just need a bag... and a new left side crashbar, some new gear and I'll be ready to go.

-MD
so good to hear ya good to go

you should really consider replacing the helmet; I know I would

do you really need to replace the left crash bar...I guess I'd consider repainting the scraped part and adding a delrin slider

to improve the protection and hide the scrape

JMHO

best to ya and things to me seem sweeter after surviving a bad situation,

Mike in Nawlins'

Yeah, I don't 'half' to replace it. I could touch it up but I'm afraid it's ground down a little bit.

I've asked 905 about the sliders :) and if I can get a new left for $75 :) then I'll do that and have a spare ready to go. Which normally means I won't ever need it.

I am already helmet shopping. Kinda sucks, cause I liked the one I had and they don't seem to make the Nolan's in anything but solids anymore.

Yeah, I don't 'half' to replace it. I could touch it up but I'm afraid it's ground down a little bit.
I've asked 905 about the sliders :) and if I can get a new left for $75 :) then I'll do that and have a spare ready to go. Which normally means I won't ever need it.

I am already helmet shopping. Kinda sucks, cause I liked the one I had and they don't seem to make the Nolan's in anything but solids anymore.
ya might like this one...I do:

n102ncom_secret_platinumblue.jpg

Nolan Helmets at ExtremeSupply.com

Nolan Helmets - N102 N-COM Modular Secret Platinum/Blue Full Face Flip Up Helmet

Ready for N-COM communication system (N-COM System Sold Separately)

Aerodynamic polycarbonate shell with built-in spoiler for improved stability

Pivoting chinbar with stainless-steel latching mechanism

Safety dual-action Centromatic release system

VPS (Vision Protection System) - short dark shield mounted on the outside of the shell and moving independently from the clear shield with 3 positions

Fully removable and washable liner on snaps and tabs with extra neck roll for wind-noise reduction

Optically correct, tool-less quick change Lexan faceshield offers UV 400 protection

Easier to open JSW top vent and independently operated chinbar vents

Chin curtain included

Sanitized antimicrobial hypoallergenic interior.

Microlock (adjustable quick release) retention system.

Velour chin-strap padding

DOT approved

MSRP $419.95 US Your price: $239.95

Truly Free Shipping / No Handling Fee on orders over $100.00

Mine are en-route from Garauld. If they are here by the weekend I'll be happy... I don't have many roads with oily crap on them, but there's enough sand on the roads to fill a playground
You never know when one of your roads will get oiled down like Renegade's. It happened to me but when I saw the Mustang in front of me skidding to stop at a light and then fishtailing while trying to accelerate I knew to be uber-careful. I could barely hold the bike up the asphalt was so slick under my feet. Then, my feet kept slipping off the pegs the rest of the way to work. Using my nose, I believe that it was diesel fuel. I suspect that is what Renegade hit. All it takes is for a trucker to forget to cap his saddle tank and, whereever there is a bump or a turn, the diesel pours out on the pavement.

I have a problem with the left (shifter and clutch) side bag guard. There is a fitment issue. I can't be quite sure exactly which dimension is off. If you look at it straight on and the top two screws are in then the bottom larger bolt to the muffler mount is about 3/8 inch toward the front wheel and will not line up. If I put the large bottom muffler mount bolt in then the top two holes appear to be about 3/8 inch too high and toward the rear.
Did anyone else encounter this? What to do? Grind out the holes to make them fit? I'm not experienced with this kind of thing and I don't know whether to try to "fix" it myself or call Stefanie. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Call Stephanie. She's been great at solving these issues.
Any answer to this problem yet? Stephanie has not shipped mine yet since they are AE's going to Gary for painting. She wants to be sure all fitment issues are fixed before painting.

I had same problem with my rear bar on left side. Stephanie suggested I try to bend\straighten. The bar appears to be too far out of alignment for me too start banging. The right side fit perfectly. I have 08A.

I have a problem with the left (shifter and clutch) side bag guard. There is a fitment issue. I can't be quite sure exactly which dimension is off. If you look at it straight on and the top two screws are in then the bottom larger bolt to the muffler mount is about 3/8 inch toward the front wheel and will not line up. If I put the large bottom muffler mount bolt in then the top two holes appear to be about 3/8 inch too high and toward the rear.
Did anyone else encounter this? What to do? Grind out the holes to make them fit? I'm not experienced with this kind of thing and I don't know whether to try to "fix" it myself or call Stefanie. Suggestions would be appreciated.
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM LAST WEEK, TALKED TO STEPHANIE ABOUT IT, WAS QUITE UNDERSTANDING, WHAT I DID WAS BARELY ELONGATE THE BOTTOM MUFFLER HOLE ON THE RACE905 GUARD, THEN TOOK MY SMALL JACK AND PUT BETWEEN THE UPPER AND LOWER BAR AT AN ANGLE AND TORQUED IT OPEN A LITTLE BIT TO SPREAD IT. AND WORKED.

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM LAST WEEK, TALKED TO STEPHANIE ABOUT IT, WAS QUITE UNDERSTANDING, WHAT I DID WAS BARELY ELONGATE THE BOTTOM MUFFLER HOLE ON THE RACE905 GUARD, THEN TOOK MY SMALL JACK AND PUT BETWEEN THE UPPER AND LOWER BAR AT AN ANGLE AND TORQUED IT OPEN A LITTLE BIT TO SPREAD IT. AND WORKED.
THE OTHER THING I HAD TO DO WAS SOME SERIOUS GRINDING TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PASSENGER PEGS TO GET THEM TO LAY DOWN FLAT AND TO FOLD UP AND DOWN. HAD TO SPREAD THE RACE 905 PEG MOUNTING SQUARE AREA IT WAS TO TIGHT TO EVEN GET THE PEGS INTO. THE REARS ARE FAIRLY BUTT UGLY BUT DO SEEM TO BE PRETTY FUNCTIONAL. I NEVER RIDE WITHOUT SIDE BAGS AND HAVE WELDED SOME SMALL ATTACHMENT POINTS TO THE BARS TO BE ABLE TO TIE DOWN SLEEPING BAG, TENT AND ADDITIONAL LUGGAGE WITHOUT HOOKING TO BIKE OR SCRAPING THE BIKES PAINT

so when will ya mount the rear set and re-test? :)

Sorry, couldn't resist, since it sounds like everything came out well in the end:)

So I'm just riding to work minding my own business. I'm about a mile away, three turns left to negotiate.
A left, a right, then a left into the parking lot. I go through this intersection every day and yes it always looks like hell.

But this time it has an extra special coating of something oil like which I don't see until after I try to stand up and just about bust my ass.

I was going maybe 15-20, the road leading to it is 45MPH and I didn't have to wait for the light and there was no one in front of me.

I go to turn left and *bam*

IMG_0084.JPG

Next thing I know I'm sliding across the pavement, uttering a few obscenities.

Luckily there was an ambulance sitting at the light. They guys jumped out helped me pick up the bike. They offered to call it in, but I declined. Nobody hurt but my FJR and my pride.

All I recall is hitting my head, it happened that fast. Helmet's good, jacket is good, gloves (check). I was wearing jeans, and if I hadn't had the benefit of what ever was lubricating the street, I'd be hurting. There's no real rash, it's more like a rug burn.

Now for the Feej:

I only had the fronts installed, the rears are too fugly for me, and the ones I have don't have peg mounts for the passenger pegs.

IMG_0087.JPG

Though my left side is starting to get a little sore.

Standard left side low-side damage:

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

The mirror took a hit but is still intact. I already have a replacement thought :)

I'll just need a bag... and a new left side crashbar, some new gear and I'll be ready to go.

Clearly the crashbar saved my stator cover (already dinged up from a parking lot drop) and my left side fairing. That more than covers the cost of the bars.

Higher res images are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/mdisher/FJRCrashbarTest#

-MD

so when will ya mount the rear set and re-test? :)
Sorry, couldn't resist, since it sounds like everything came out well in the end:)
I think I'll pass on that ;) I have to send my rears back to 905 to get the peg mounts welded on. They go back tomorrow.

for what it's worth the little plastic inserts didn't last :) In fact the one I stuck on the right side is now missing.

Still best money I've spent in a while, if only I'd had the rears on-board.

-MD

Jeeze Renegade. That's too bad but I'm glad you are OK and doubly glad you set the buy up. I haven't put mine on yet cause there is still ice and snow in front of the garage. I don't want to test them just getting out of the garage.

Cheers,

7X

Wow! Organize the group buy and perform a crash test! Now that's dedication. Way to take one for the team! :) Glad you're OK!
2247302-plus1.gif

Has anyone fitted a skyway hydration kit on the rear peg with the rear crash bar?
I sent them pictures of the kit on my Gen I, in hopes that they might design them to work in cojunction with it, but I'd imagine the Gen II bars aren't gonna end up that way anytime soon, if at all....

Entire OP repost
How 'bout Phugeddingabout doing that?

OK
So these have now been crash tested. Photos and details in a little while, still gathering my thoughts, but I and the Bike are OK.
Sorry to hear you tested these so soon... glad to hear they held up. Even more happy to hear that you got up and were able to walk/ride away. That's always a good thing.

A couple comments:

If you have not ordered these and are considering them, jump on the "extended" intro-price... even if you have an AE or Gen I. Why? because these folks have been so good about working with us that it is only a matter of time before they have the AE fitment issues worked out and everything is perfect. Then you will have your cake and your extra coin too! IF for some reason they don't get things worked out to your liking, I have no doubt that a refund would only be a phone call away. JMHO.

I added my sliders to my crashbars. This should give a little more distance between the rad and the stator/engine covers. I am very happy to see that the lower fairing received NO damage... my first set of TOGs were only good enough to prevent breaking, but allowed them to get scratched a bit. At least this is an upgrade from that. With both, I may even prevent any bag damage in a standing fall... although I am not holding my breath.

As always, my opinion is like everyone else's... I have one.

Just a quick update...

(I had called 905 to order a new left side and Aaron asked me to check to see if I needed any bolts.)

I took them off last night to check all the bolts and the bars. None of the bolts or bars are bent in any way.

I am very happy, with delrin sliders on the ends when those are available you might just save the bars too.

:)

-MD

Just a quick update...
(I had called 905 to order a new left side and Aaron asked me to check to see if I needed any bolts.)

I took them off last night to check all the bolts and the bars. None of the bolts or bars are bent in any way.

I am very happy, with delrin sliders on the ends when those are available you might just save the bars too.

:)

-MD

Any idea when the 905 sliders are gonna be done? I'm hoping to incorporate highway pegs with the sliders. Also, here's a pic of my passenger "pegs". I didn't want to send them back for the weld on peg brackets so I got some 1" clear plastic tubing from the hardware store. It was a bitch getting it slid over the washer on the end of the bar. Used a heat gun and soapy water. After I got it on I heated it again to shrink it tight to the bar. The tubing is soft enough to give some boot grip and also a bit of vibration insolation. I don't have a passenger on this bike very often so I think it will hold up ok. If not, I'll cut it off and stick on a couple pieces of skate board tape.

100_1169.jpg

Any idea when the 905 sliders are gonna be done? I'm hoping to incorporate highway pegs with the sliders. Also, here's a pic of my passenger "pegs". I didn't want to send them back for the weld on peg brackets so I got some 1" clear plastic tubing from the hardware store. It was a bitch getting it slid over the washer on the end of the bar. Used a heat gun and soapy water. After I got it on I heated it again to shrink it tight to the bar. The tubing is soft enough to give some boot grip and also a bit of vibration insolation. I don't have a passenger on this bike very often so I think it will hold up ok. If not, I'll cut it off and stick on a couple pieces of skate board tape.
100_1169.jpg
That's some tasty "thinking out of the box", but I wonder, if a passenger DID use that as a foot rest, would the top bar press on the back of the calf muscle?

Hard to tell from the angle.