Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ScooterG a Dark Sider???? :dribble: NAAAAHHH I can't believe it :unsure: ....Not with all the verbage about it in the past... :eek:

I sure would like it if the other 30+ known Darksiders would also fill out the survey. Just so we can have a broader base of people saying they have had zero problems.

I'm relatively new to the "Darksiding" concept, and I've been considering it myself. However, I don't have enough information about it. So, for those who have gone to the *other* side, and those who know about the Darkside of riding:

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of switching the rear tire from MC to CT?

2. Do CTs pass tech inspection at rallies, especially the IBR?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Bennett

Hershey, PA

IBA: 16412

I'll withold comment but will point out that most of the info about darksiding is in the "Never Ending Pointless Recurring Threads" forum, where I'm sure this thread will be soon.

1) Advantages? You get to be a retard!
pot_calling_kettle_black.jpg

I'll withold comment but will point out that most of the info about darksiding is in the "Never Ending Pointless Recurring Threads" forum, where I'm sure this thread will be soon.

Really? You didn't see which board you were in when you posted this???? A bit lost, are you? :p :p :lol:

C'mon dudes. It's the magic of admins.

It didn't start out in the NEPRT, it just got moved there and merged into this thread...
Yes! It's something you are 'gifted' with, not some simple, silly self determination. Yessir, being gifted with the NEPRT classification by the admins is a special reward ;) :lol:

Just a follow-up from an earlier comment, I rode with my new Z6 Interac on the front with my 13,000 mile old Exalto last Sunday. Wow, what a difference, the feeling returned that I seriously did not think I had a CT on the rear it handled that good. This will all very gradally change as that Z6 wears....

I'm relatively new to the "Darksiding" concept, and I've been considering it myself. However, I don't have enough information about it. So, for those who have gone to the *other* side, and those who know about the Darkside of riding:

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of switching the rear tire from MC to CT?

2. Do CTs pass tech inspection at rallies, especially the IBR?
Advantages are longer tire life, (40k), greater resistance to puncture, much better traction and handling in gravel and poor surfaces and the ability to get a replacement tire nearly anywhere that sells car tires if the worst should happen and the tire is not repairable. Only one mod, replacing the brake tension arm, is required and it's fully compatible with regular moto tires, and easy to swap back if you choose.

2. In the past, they have not been a problem, but the head technical inspector for the IBR has stated that may change for '13. Which will piss off a bunch of Wing guys too. That individual is on this forum as well.

A FAQ exists for Darksiding HERE.

It's been a while since I posted but I wanted to give you the poop on my experience thus far with the CT (exalto). I have only done about 3000 miles so far. When I first got the tire on the bike I had it at 40lbs.....it felt blocky and required a significant amount of push on the bar to make the turns.....at a good speed not so bad but still unpleasant.....slow speeds were horrible. After talking with Eric, I brought the pounds to about 33. A totally different experience :clapping: . While it didnt feel exactly like a MT, it was close enough that I thought it would work.

Fast foward..........CJ and I went to the parkway last week, and while our trip was cut short due to his accident, we did manage to go about 111 miles on the parkway. All I can say is that for me, my bike felt way more planted. The big difference I noticed is that I felt more in control of the cornering. What I have experienced (maybe it's my skill level) is that when I'm on a MT and I'm negotiating a sharp corner, the bike was very touchy, so at times I would over correct or go the other way. With a CT you have to conciously push the bar but to not so much that it was difficult or tiring. It tracked better around corners. I was worried about what kind of lean angle I'd be able to get away with but quickly I discovered that was clearly not an issue.

In slow speeds it's still a touch squirrley but again, not to the point where I would even consider going back to a MT. I'm now used to it and dont even notice it. The one area that I dont like about the CT are the "valley's" in the roads that are created by CT traveling the roads. When you hit one of those you have a tendancy to hang on and pucker! I never lost control and when I get to one of those sections I just ride a little higher or lower on the road. Also keep in mind that CJ road bitch all the way from VA to MA in the pouring rain and not once did it act up.

MPG has been a concern for some folks....so far I have not noticed it but as someone pointed out earlier, the odometer is now more in line with actual MPH. CJ and I usually put the same amount of fuel at the same times however our mileage wouldnt be the same as it appeared on the bike.

HP......I noticed no change. The bike is just as snappy with the CT as it was with the MT.

It's too early to say what impact it might have on the front tire. I did replace it about the same time as the CT and so far it looks normal but time will tell.

I dont believe I'll put another MT on the bike....I'm pretty satisfied. Clearly its not for everyone but then again nor is an FJR, to each their own! Thanks again for some good discussion and friendly ribbing! :p