Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand El Commandante Eric, also known as Che, has already assembled a hit squad! RaYzerman19 will be the Black Ops Platoon Leader!
We tried this once. RaYzerman19 was sent out with a crack team from The House of Chrome Removal, only to come back hours later, very tired, with lipstick in places normally not seen. The rest of the team was later found at a local spa, claiming to be very relaxed and... errr.... "satiated" When asked about the hit, a blank stare and the following response occured: "what hit, hit what?? Oh, he hit it all right... Oh! you mean the hit... Opps, we forgot."

Needless to say, we never tried that again. :rolleyes:
I told you not to post this, as we're all trying to forget. And there was a reason no cameras were allowed. No pictures, didn't happen. Lordy help Fred if he had been there!!

Very nice post Fred. Giving a reason for your choices was a refreshing read as opposed to it will not work. I do not have any of the problems you described but I also live in the land of straight roads where our only curves are known as exit and on ramps. I really should not say ramps as that designates a change in elevation. But it does work for me quite well even with an occasional ride to the mountains.

<!--quoteo(post=593647:date=Jun 4 2009, 03:12 PM:name=OCfjr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OCfjr @ Jun 4 2009, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=593647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are now 3 darksiders. The third will post up soon with some pics, and he's a Gen II bike also.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This disease is spreading quicker than the swine flu.

We need a vaccine for it.
Bump

The third darksider asks what happens if there isn't a vaccine for it??? :p ;) :eek:

I'm noticing something that is troubling me. Could it be that we are experiencing divisions within the darkside? Obie-wan was right, it has been noted that the force was strong in this Anakin Fred-walker. His scholarly, well documented and highly respected opinions have caused a great tremor in the force. His wise words have given us much information that we did not have before, and the darkside has once again benefitted from some careful evaluation. However, it is apparent that this tremor has none the less caused many to doubt their belief in the power of the darkside.

Furthermore, the squablings between those wearing different rubber seems to be causing issues. It could be argued that those not riding on an Exalto risk alienating potential converts by their poor example. After all, there is no known history of anyone of the Exalto sect defecting from the dark side. Even so, there are others who would claim that a CT is a CT and it doesn't matter which you choose. I must disagree with this liberal view of the fundamentals of the darkside. If we are to take over the FJR world, we must agree on one tire to best represent our beliefs. We must unite in one tire choice to prevent further tremors within the darkside of the force.

However, I believe an even greater issue is at hand. It appears that our fearless leader is talking of defecting from the FJR fold. How many great movements in the past have come to naught because of the passing of their leaders? Let us learn a lesson from history and take great care not to lose our focus. If the loss of our leader is indeed at hand, we must be vigilant.

We teach that once you've been seduced by the darkside, there's no turning back. There is no known cure for anyone who has known the real power of the darkside. However, I'm beginning to wonder if the Exalto sect is the only faction within the darkside that can claim to be true darksiders. Look at the track record and let the record speak for itself. It is true that some are defecting from the darkside, but we are beginning to wonder if the type of rubber they've chosen is the problem. A bike's foundation is its tires, and a building is only as strong as its foundation. Maybe tire choice is THE DIVISIVE issue we must deal with. Could it be that only the Exaltonians have experienced the true power of the darkside?

Maybe it's time to take the next step and chose a new leader. One who can represent our beliefs and not falter. Alas, what shall we do? Here's my proposal: men come and go, but the Exalto, being inanimate, will never defect or bail out on us. I'd like to make an official motion that we elect the Exalto to be our new leader. Only then can we unite to purify our cause, to come together under the banner of the one tire with the best possible track record, and thus secure the purity and integrity of the darkside for generations to come. With the right decisions today, one day we can rule the MC world and the darkside will be the only way.

*** EDIT: Sarcasm is most effective when it is CLEARLY understood to be in jest. :yahoo: I enjoyed PMing you today about this, Fred. Glad we both enjoyed a little darkside diversion and hope the rest of you did as well. ;)

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm plenty happy with my Dunlop, and I don't plan on un-darksiding unless I move to West Virginia or someplace like that.

So there are other tires that work. :p

Well... After my split tread earlier this week on the PR2, the darkside deed has now been done:
100_2925.jpg
My son has been home for a couple of days and helped me muscle it on this morning. I also made some modifications to my home made tire mounting "stand" (old steel car rim) that made it easier to flex the tire on. This is a Yokohama Avid Envigor.My reports on perceived handling differences to come...
And now, the deed has been undone.Yep, that's right. I'm throwing in the towel. The compromise in handling is too much for me to give up for the potential upside (to me).Today was the Covered Bridges ride, and my first real test of the Car Tire, except for prior short rides around my neighborhood. The Bridges ride is just a sedate paced ride through the New England country side that immediately showed me the biggest problem of running a CT on the back (to me). We have all agreed that no matter which car tire you run there is a certain increase in steering effort, with some being worse than others. With a car tire you need to keep counter-steering pressure on the inside handle bar to stay leaned over in the corner. I believe that this is because as you ride up on the inside of the tire the contact patch moves inside of the centerline of the wheel. Regardless of the physics, it happens.My big problem is that in New England, smooth road surfaces are far and few between. Which means that the suspension is always working hard while cornering. When I have constant pressure being applied to the bars and start humping bumps the front wheel weights and unweights which makes the steering fluctuate. This is very unsettling. Through the day I could sense the tire beginning to breakdown some, or maybe I was just becoming acclimated? But either way, at the end of the day's ride I pulled the bike into the garage and yanked that POS Car Tire off of the bike and slapped on a new PR2 (the one I got in the warranty claim for the split tire last week). I have other issues with the car tire, such as when accelerating out of a corner (as I am wont to do in twisties) the tire squirms and slides, probably because it is still so new with very tall tread blocks. That might also be the particular tire I was running. I don't care. I didn't like it and my experiment is over.Anyone want a Darksider trial kit? I'll send you a basically new tire (has ~ 400 miles on it) and a brake arm for the cost of shipping. Local pick up is free.To you died in the wool Darksiders: Please do not take this as a personal attack of your choices. We all have different wants and needs. We make our own choices. I feel that I gave this a good shot and learned that this is DEFINITELY not for me. PS - I'm getting so good at tire changes these days I had the CT off and the new PR2 on and balanced and back on the bike in a an hour flat. With no tire machine. ;)
I am a Candy Butt Rider (and proud of it). I do not make LD rides, or rallies. I see no pleasure in riding slab for endless hours to cover a given large amount of distance. I often spend all day in the saddle, only stopping for gas and to pee, and at the end of 10-12 hours I might have only covered 400-500 miles and have never touched an interstate. That is the kind of riding that I find pleasurable. I do not understand the people that think LD rides are "fun", but I can appreciate that everybody has different likes and dislikes and they are certainly all equally valid. I'm amazed by some of these LD feats people talk of, not because I couldn't do it. I'm sure that I could, if I were motivated to. I'm amazed because I ask myself, why? :huh:
I rode KrZy8 to NERDS - Stowe, Vermont, from Kali. I am still riding on the same tires at time of this posting. Almost 10k later, these tires are consumed- but they still feel more responsive, to me, than Brodies CT bike I rode some time ago.

Need to upgrade suspension? Where is the economy of having to buy an aftermarket shock at ~$750-1000, which will from most accounts need to be rebuilt every 30-40 k miles when with motorcycle tires I can happily run the stock shock or somebody else's stock take-off when mine wears out.
Fred, spend the $$ - upgraded suspension, freshened annually - YES, worth the bucks, and I am frugal.

I'm noticing something that is troubling me. Could it be that we are experiencing divisions within the darkside? Could it be that our beliefs have been rocked by the most recent rantings of yet another unbeliever? Obie-wan was right, it has been noted that the force was strong in this Anakin Fred-walker. His scholarly, well documented and highly respected opinions have caused a great tremor in the force. It is apparent that this tremor has none the less caused many to doubt their belief in the power of the darkside. We must come together brothers and sisters. We must maintain the integrity of the darkside of the force. It's time to rise up and take a stand.

...snipped a whole bunch more...

Whoa. Dude... You need to get yourself a new hobby or something. Maybe take up basket weaving or something? :p

But one has to wonder why someone would want to try so hard to convince others to join them in such an endeavor. Does that some how validate your own choice? Isn't it enough for you that you have made your choice and like the results? I know that it is for me...

I'm noticing something that is troubling me. Could it be that we are experiencing divisions within the darkside? Could it be that our beliefs have been rocked by the most recent rantings of yet another unbeliever? Obie-wan was right, it has been noted that the force was strong in this Anakin Fred-walker. His scholarly, well documented and highly respected opinions have caused a great tremor in the force. It is apparent that this tremor has none the less caused many to doubt their belief in the power of the darkside. We must come together brothers and sisters. We must maintain the integrity of the darkside of the force. It's time to rise up and take a stand.

...snipped a whole bunch more...

Whoa. Dude... You need to get yourself a new hobby or something. Maybe take up basket weaving or something? :p

My rantings, you say? No, no... :nono: I don't think so. I made some personal observations and left them out there for others to make up their own minds. That's all. Unlike certain other people, I am not trying to sway anyone one way or the other.

But one has to wonder why someone would want to try so hard to convince others to join them in such an endeavor. Does that some how validate your own choice? Isn't it enough for you that you have made your choice and like the results? I know that it is for me...
You Darksider Zombie Cabalists should have burned Fred W at the stake when you had the chance! Now you CT'ers are going to have to hunt him down with wild dogs and stone him to death! Don't forget the silver dagger through his heart and the garlic/cloves wreath around his head! Happy Hunting, You Goofy Car Tire Bastards!!!

Just wanted to note that the darkside brake strut, provided to me gratis by Larry33319 in FL, has found itself a new home, likewise.

Now... just wait until you all find out who it was that took it!! :eek:

:p

(You'll never guess, and even if you do, I'm sworn to secrecy...)

I'm with Fred on this one. :blink: Easy does it Gary, there a big difference between a convert and a Zealot. One is made by Guzzi! The other's just too far over the top.

Tire choce does affect turn in and handling, wear and over all feel. Just like on moto tires!

This is an option, not the be-all, end-all of tire choices. I wouldn't put a person new to a FJR on a CT right away, or a newer rider, for example. It has distinct advantages, but also detractions. The idea was to put the info out there and allow others to make their own decisions, but also for those that do this to contribute an on-going base of information to allow a more informed decision with opinons and information from different perspectives.

I think we are doing a good job of this, despite the sometimes high level of off topic banter on the thread. And the FAQ exists to give a manageable snapshot of info as well.

Yes, later this week Darksider #1 will get a fresh set of motorcycle tires, likely never to be darksided again. Hopefully someone new will join the FJR ranks and become a happy new member of our little group.

My work here is done. :yahoo: The Darkside will live on w/o me, though I may come by now and then to give a virtual bitch slap or poke fun at you silly boys. ;)

Just wanted to note that the darkside brake strut, provided to me gratis by Larry33319 in FL, has found itself a new home, likewise.

Now... just wait until you all find out who it was that took it!! :eek:

:p

(You'll never guess, and even if you do, I'm sworn to secrecy...)
THE SHADOW KNOWS!

750px-Shadowverngreene1.jpg

Just an observation from my experience so far. The condition of your front tire has a lot to do with the impression you'll get. As the front tire wears, your turn-in effort will increase. I started with a worn Metzeler Z6, found a big improvement with the new Z8 I installed, then as it wore out..... not awful mind you. I just got a new Z6 on and rode it yesterday. Felt like a brand new bike, turn-in was very easy, brought back the feeling that there was no CT on the back. Kewl. Prefer the Z6 over the Z8 BTW.

Also, for those who raised questions about whether a CT decreases front tire life.... not true in my experience. Same wear and tire life as before, nothing unusual at all.

Blasphemers!!!

You sick bastard darksiders are an evil bunch! Have you all no shame?

Which one of you sick, sadistic monsters did it? RadioHowie? Doug5551? Or was it your evil Darksiding leader, OCfjr?

Imagine my utter shock and horror when I came out to my garage the other morning and found THIS!:

BrandNewExalto9.jpg

One of you twisted SOBs Darksided my FJR!!! :eek:

:angry2:

Well, what was I supposed to do? I had to be somewhere, so off I went with a freaking car tire on my FJR!!! Oh, the HORROR!

I swear, while I was riding with that POS on there I was just waiting FOR THE WHOLE WORLD TO BLOW UP! I was sure I was doomed to a fiery, apocalyptic end! Surely, the moto Gods would dish out their viscious retribution upon me for the sin I was committing.

And sure enough it happend. After riding a few miles, waiting for the end to come, expecting my FJR to simply sommersault me on my head, anticipating the violent conclusion of my moto riding days, and my life......I realized....... I liked it.

I guess I truly am retarded. I am not proud of the company I now join. It seems I may have become one of you. Joined your little cult.

That's SCARY.

How I wish this were all just a bad dream! Somebody pinch me and wake me up! I CAN'T be a darksider! I simply can't! I want my mommy!

Ever since I returned from that little trip I have been curled up in bed in the fetal position with my blanky, sucking my thumb. No food. No water. Just my tears. The whole weekend SHOT!

You darksiders are all a truly evil lot.

Oh well....... give me my damned retard number! :finger:

Oh, and here's a oh-so-special one just for you, Douggie boy: :finger: :finger: :finger:

Somebody shoot me.

Let It Be Known: I would much rather have an Uncle in the Marine Corps, a Niece in a Whorehouse and a Cousin that rides a Hondapotamus; rather than have an illegitimate bastard Son that runs a car tire on his FJR!

I DISOWN YOU! Burn in Hell, You CT Bastard!!!

Jeebus Skooter! I feel for ya man. Nobody should have to wear a car tire on their scoot. It's like zombies!!!! You bite each other and get converted, don't ya???!!!!

Then again, you always were on the cutting edge of inovation Greg:

bigsquarebicycle.jpg

Jeebus Skooter! I feel for ya man. Nobody should have to wear a car tire on their scoot. It's like zombies!!!! You bite each other and get converted, don't ya???!!!!

Then again, you always were on the cutting edge of inovation Greg:

bigsquarebicycle.jpg
Dear ShinyPartsUp, His Mother and I just are just shaking our heads and wondering where we went wrong with SkooterG. I am assuming we did not properly potty train him as a youngster or it may be the fact that we let him dress like a girl until he was fourteen years old. No matter, this is now his New Daddy:

DSC_2499.jpg

And here are SkootyG's New Bastard Uncles: Mopsy and Flopsy!

TechIII-Mechanics.jpg