Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't drop the soap in the shower at the next darksider roundup. :eek: :lol:
Hey Ray, I've spent time in County Jail; you kick the soap to the corner of the shower, then with your back to the wall you pick it up! FJR Forum Darksiders won't get me!

Last edited by a moderator:
There was one very small glitch though: As I drove past the "Prancing Stallion" gay bar...
Seriously, that about sums it up. You *drive* a motobike with a car tire. You *ride* a motobike with a moto tire.
Or, in your case, you *wide like a wittle gwirl*!!! :****:

Well, yesterday I got to do my last test of the car tire - tight twisties. I was faster than I have ever been! I still can't get my head around it. It just makes no sense to me. My favorite set of twisties in Arizona - constant 20mph-30mph curves that I was taking at 35mph to 70mph. The FJR felt totally planted. More than at any other time I have ridden it. More planted led to it feeling 100% rock solid stable which gave me the total confidence to take it to extreme lean angles. I actually scraped pegs 5 times or so. Now, I am not a big peg scaper - I do it occassionally. (Remember I have custom suspension front and rear) But since the car tire actually raises the rear of the FJR I thought I would never scrape with it on there. To scrape now, I have to be leaned over more than I ever have been before. Yet there I was, hitting those lean angles I have never hit before and being totally relaxed. Usually, I feel 'tight' when at extreme lean angles. But not yesterday. Sometimes that has to deal with being 'in the zone' or not, and yesterday I was, but I have NEVER been that relaxed at hitting those extreme lean angles. I just don't get it.

So, I know have a bit over 5,000 miles on the car tire, I will do a write-up soon of all the advantages and disadvantages.

Well here it is folks: Look at that happy, astounded, elated and impressed expression on the latest Darkside rider, I was so excited about just putting 50 miles on SkooterG's car tired FJR I almost shit myself (well actually, there was one little shart in my undies!). Papa Chuy Viejo is now a Car Tire Convert!
Who are you and what have you done with beemerdons?

I had to go back and read some of your previous comments on the subject and don't know whether I would have believed it if you hadn't posted the pictures! (They don't LOOK Photoshopped.)

Ross

And when you ask What The ****, and decide to open your mind and try something new, then you will understand. Seek enlightenment.

This is the second time this thread has forced me to ask...WHAT THE ****?? I swear.
AJ, you know Greg and Papa well enough by now to know we live to give each other crap; makes our day, to shit shoot the other one. When we swapped bikes east of Prescott I fully expected to be able to bust his balls when we reached Cordes Junction west of Interstate 17, saying something rotten about his CT FJR: But I couldn't come up with a single negative, I really couldn't find one.

Pissed me off! But I'm not kidding when I say how little difference running a car tire on an FJR makes in real world riding; it just doesn't make a squat and it gives you three times the rear tire life.

Gawd...If you death seaking losers convert me, I don't know what I'll do.
You're starting to have second thoughts. Don't fly any closer to the flame of the darkside even though they have cookies.
Es Verdad, HotRodZilla! When I finally get the car tire on my Miss Lucy Liu, I'm going to ride to Albuquerque to tempt you with cookies; Real Cookies! Bunuelos, Polvorones de Canele, Churros y Biscochitos; MEXICAN COOKIES, ese!

When I see a car tire at a motogp I'll believe. Until then, :****: no way.

And yes, I rode a car tire - it felt like a MT tire gone bad.

To each their own, I make no judgement. Maybe if I lived in Florida or Arizona - otherwise, no...

Gawd...If you death seaking losers convert me, I don't know what I'll do.
You're starting to have second thoughts. Don't fly any closer to the flame of the darkside even though they have cookies.
Es Verdad, HotRodZilla! When I finally get the car tire on my Miss Lucy Liu, I'm going to ride to Albuquerque to tempt you with cookies; Real Cookies! Bunuelos, Polvorones de Canele, Churros y Biscochitos; MEXICAN COOKIES, ese!
FWIW, I like chocolate chip and Oreos. Yum!

To each their own, I make no judgement. Maybe if I lived in Florida or Arizona - otherwise, no...

I swear I heard Auburnfjr say the same exact thing, when we were up at WCR. Deja Vu, all over again. :lol:

Have you ever seen a Russell seat on a MotoGP? An auxiliary tank? Cruise control? Heated grips?

When I see a CD player and air conditioning on a Formula 1 car....blah-blah-blah.

Don, what a piss-poor argument. You oughta be ashamed. TSK TSK TSK!

That's right Don, you did ride a car tire, all of 10 miles or so. The first couple trying to get used to a paddle shifter on your extended gravel driveway - on a bike with a fresh custom paint job.

You did good , it was fun watching ya.
IMG_1751.jpg

It just wasn't an Exalto.

I have to admit, my buddy Brian was on to something when he mounted the first one up on his '08. He got a good 20K on his until it went away a bit during some extreme hooliganism with the sport bike guys.

By the way, them Moto GP guys have a little bit different application for their bikes. Let's see them put a set of hard bags, trunk and a set of driving lights and ride across this country dragging their knees and elbows in the sweepers - in a rain storm - at night - in deer country.

Then I might think about riding their equipment

The MotoGP argument is Apples and Oranges my friend.
To each their own, I make no judgement. Maybe if I lived in California or Colorado - Absoloutly YES !
yahoo.gif

Hugs and kisses, my friend.

wink.gif

Brodie

The only thing that I can assume is that the brand of tire must make a HUGE difference. There was never any mistaking that something was wrong when I had the Yokohama on the back.

But I will not be sucked back in by you kool-aid drinkers. At least not until I get a chance to ride an FJR (someone else's, not mine) equipped with an Exalto and see for myself.

The only thing that I can assume is that the brand of tire must make a HUGE difference. There was never any mistaking that something was wrong when I had the Yokohama on the back.

But I will not be sucked back in by you kool-aid drinkers. At least not until I get a chance to ride an FJR (someone else's, not mine) equipped with an Exalto and see for myself.

You are most welcome to try mine but it will have to wait 'till spring since my bike is wintering in Florida. 2012 Maine Chowdah run maybe?

Ross

Have you ever seen a Russell seat on a MotoGP? An auxiliary tank? Cruise control? Heated grips?

When I see a CD player and air conditioning on a Formula 1 car....blah-blah-blah.

Don, what a piss-poor argument. You oughta be ashamed. TSK TSK TSK!
Mi Hermano RadioHowie, Thanks for telling Homo Pedo Pendejo off! When I see dcarver ride a MotoGP bike I'll go back to an MT, but I won't be seeing a miracle soon!

9,600 views, 68 pages, 2,715 replies and 50 miles on a car tire have finally convinced me it's time to make the move. When my Pirelli Angels wear out, I'm going with an Exalto on my FJR. I always like the funny line from HotRodZilla: Car tire freaks are going to die a horrific, fiery, flaming, molten, screaming, agonizing and sinister Death!

If there had been one solo instance in all of this dialoque pointing to an accident resulting from running a car tire, then I would be apprehensive and would not consider it.

But the fact of the matter is in all of these many miles there has not been a single reported incident of any accident even remotely caused by running a car tire. WORD!

Couple that with the fact I could not discover a single negative with a car tire and witnessed our own SkooterG flat out smoking the twisties of White Spars and Yarnell Grade convinces me that this is the way to go for long distance traveling with an FJR. Would have been perfect for Canada this year and Southern Mexico last year!!!

I always like the funny line from HotRodZilla: Car tire freaks are going to die a horrific, fiery, flaming, molten, screaming, agonizing and sinister Death!
Hey you Irish meatball...You know I was kidding when I said that right? As much as I make fun, I back you freaks all the way. Of all the dangerous stuff we can do to motorcycles, I don't think adding a car tire to the rear is one of them.

Maybe...Maybe, one day I'll try one on mine. Most likely not since I still like girls, but I guess anything is possible.