Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6379557299_45735193ee_o.jpg

The only thing that I can assume is that the brand of tire must make a HUGE difference. There was never any mistaking that something was wrong when I had the Yokohama on the back.

But I will not be sucked back in by you kool-aid drinkers. At least not until I get a chance to ride an FJR (someone else's, not mine) equipped with an Exalto and see for myself.
Make ya a deal, Fred:

Come on down to beautiful warm and sunny Florida for a few days this winter, there's a bunch of us around. I'm an hour and a half west of Disney. You can take mine out for a cruise any time. At least after watching you ride it, the neighbors might assume it was me, and will think I finally learned how to ride :rolleyes:

Gary

darksider #44

Eric, you're a DORK!!!

This is the answer to the question that should never have been asked.

Thanks for the entertainment, though.
So today marks exactly three years since this thread was started. 94,000 views later, I would like to thank Eric for his pioneering initiative. I remember reading this thread when it was but a few days old, and thinking I would be giving this a shot, even though I did not even own an FJR at the time, and would not get one for three months. I would still end up being the second person in the US, and the third person overall to give this a shot. 40K miles on my first tire, and 4K on my second, I am very pleased with my choice. Putting on a tire at 60K miles and not taking it off until I had 100K was quite different than using a standard motorcycle tire. Special thanks to FJRonaMission(Brian) for discovering the Michelin Exalto and demonstrating its superior handling characteristics during an infamous ride with another forum member. The Exalto is a major improvement over the initial Potenza Grid 019 I started out with.

It sure is illustrative to look at the comments of the naysayers with three years of data and perspective. I think all of us still have our plastic still looking the same. I have not had so much as a tip over while using a Car Tire.

What a difference three years makes, right Skooter...

From the latest issue of "Motorcyclist" magazine. They compare you guys to a dog licking its own butthole. Don't shoot the messenger... :lol: :lol: :lol:

CarTireArticle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that. Yeah, we be 'dumb'. I got quite a kick out of it.

I tell you, it's not easy being a blasphemer.

Here's a more readable version:

CarTiresOnBikes001.jpg

Well it's from Motorcyclist.. I don't pay much attention to that rag anymore. :lol:
+1, Gunny; Motorcyclist is the absolutely crappiest moto magazine out there, rag totally sucks moist ass cheese!

I just can't wait for my Pirelli Angels to wear out so I too can join "The Dumb Club"! Bust and Howie are my Heroes!

The very second sentence in that article is so blatantly incorrect that I gave none of the rest any credibility. Granted, the second sentence is in the guy's question and the rest of the article is the "answer," but it's . . . . . wrong. Simple as that.

And Skooter, I find it quite easy most days. :D

Are there any web sites that provide CT size and the "optimum" tire pressure recommendations for each bike? Riding a cruiser these days and replacing the rear tire every 7K miles to 9K miles is getting old, fast.

Thanks in advance...

Probably not, and this site probably isn't the best source for "cruiser" facts. And there probably won't be "a site" to cross-reference all the bike models tires with car tires.

But generally speaking, you want the same diameter tire, as close as you can get, so the rolling circle of the tire is the same as stock. Don't want to severely alter the speedometer. Some math involved there, sorry. Also, the tread is obviously wider than the bike tire's tread, and the maximum width at the sidwalls is also probably greater, so there may be clearance issues. On rhe FJR that involves reworking or replacing the brake caliper's torque bar, but there are no other issues with clearance. Other bikes may have other issues, like close-fitting fenders or narrow swingarms, that can't be worked around with the right size tire.

As for pressures, run the car tire at car pressure, not bike pressure. Running bike pressure will be a serious overinflation.

Are there any web sites that provide CT size and the "optimum" tire pressure recommendations for each bike? Riding a cruiser these days and replacing the rear tire every 7K miles to 9K miles is getting old, fast.

Thanks in advance...
There is a darksider forum on Delphi Forums which has a table of bikes, tires and pressures as I recall.