Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who will be the first to bastardize, I mean darkside, the Gen III? When will it happen? I think this is a topic ripe for pointless speculation....

I'm working on my bastard step-pappy as we speak!
Won't work, my friend....

The CC is a POS.

He wouldn't know how to use it anyways. He still can't figure out how to get into Tour Mode, and it will take him a year or two to figure out how to customize the display. If he ever figures it out.

Despite my pleas, I can't get that crusty ol bastard of a lemming to accept text message on his cell phone. (He has the option to even 'receive' turned off) Just think of all my witty prose he is missing out on!

Who will be the first to bastardize, I mean darkside, the Gen III? When will it happen? I think this is a topic ripe for pointless speculation....

I'd bet just about anything that it WON'T be Sir Richard.
no.gif

Isn't there a type of sauce that installers put on some rims to seal things up? Might wanna check on that. Also, ya might wanna check with a local tire shop to see if they can do this for ya. Seems like it would be pretty quick and easy with the right equipment.

Gary

darksider #44
I use Ru-Glyde tire stuff to mount my tires. However, I have had aluminum wheels on my older cages develop rim leaks after3 or 4 years due to oxidation of the aluminum, expecially where they put on those clip-on wheel weights. The tire shop at the time, dismounted, cleaned and clearcoated the bead seats and reinstalled the tires....... apparently it happens all the time.......

I bought a new Exalto for installation sometime this winter and will clean up the rim real good.

I'm working on my bastard step-pappy as we speak!
Won't work, my friend....

The CC is a POS.

He wouldn't know how to use it anyways. He still can't figure out how to get into Tour Mode, and it will take him a year or two to figure out how to customize the display. If he ever figures it out.

Despite my pleas, I can't get that crusty ol bastard of a lemming to accept text message on his cell phone. (He has the option to even 'receive' turned off) Just think of all my witty prose he is missing out on!
Poor old bastage was all upset during the La Pine run because he couldn't communicate with you, yet Donna could.

Now, I understand your wanting to converse with the lovely Mrs Donna, but this puts a whole new spin on it.. The krusty old fuker needs to learn to read.

Update on my latest experience with the flaming tyre of death...

Two weeks ago while on my way home form a job I noticed a different feel in the handling of my old pig. It was raining and cool 40 degrees or so and at first I thought it was the combination of the two conspiring to slow me down and keep me chilled...

Nope. It seems I'd picked up a 16 penny nail somewhere in my travels. It was about an hour after sunset and, as it was a small highway, no fooking steer lights.. A quick check of the pressure showed maybe 4 psi.. not good.

Now as I'm known by most everyone within 20 miles of home, I knew it wouldn't be a good idea to repair this on the side of a rather dark road...
no.gif
Like fish in a barrel if you catch my drift.

I ended up riding a couple miles with the severely under-inflated tire adding more risk to what some consider an already deadly combo.. Guess what?

I didn't die and in fact was comfortable enough to kick my speed up around 25 and aside from a little sluggishness she handled decent. I slapped a plug in, aired her up and by golly made it home.

Could I have done this with a bike tire? I dunno if you could run 2 or 3 miles on a complete flat, and if you did would the tire be toast?

I'm chalking this up as just one more reason you flatlanders have too consider the Dark Side..

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez, hain't no respect 'round here. Bust, I'll step in and say I'm proud of ya. Yer update was a real contribution today. Who sez old dawgs cain't lern new tricks? You da man.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Naw....he's an idjit and we should not listen to him.

jes' sayin'.
I just noted that I only have a few friends on my profile. Thought I would up the anty and add a few. Don't know who these folks are but they ain't from where they say they are.....I'll bet money on it.....or beer.....or wait......I can't even start a new topic. Nevermind......I thought my wife had my balls. Seems someone else does.

Man up odot, you know you want a car tire on your FJR. Your wife may have your balls, (or some admin), but you could have a manly bike that scares small children and old farts w/o a clue.

Joined the dark side this weekend. Pilot Exalto A/S. it was fairly cold, so the bike shop got it mounted, but the bead wouldn't seat. Went back to the car shop, and they got it seated with different equipment and pressure. Took a short ride through Niles canyon to feel the handling difference. The initial impression was "what have I done!" But after the tire warmed up and broke in, it became very good. Initial turn in is harder, but turns are just as solid, and track well. This hound be ideal for the big miles coming this summer.

Joined the dark side this weekend. Pilot Exalto A/S.
Welcome to the Darkside. Got a pic of the bike with the new rubber?

You should find that it gets even better as the tire takes a set and becomes a bit more flexible over the next 1000 miles or so.

Joined the dark side this weekend. Pilot Exalto A/S.
Welcome to the Darkside. Got a pic of the bike with the new rubber?

You should find that it gets even better as the tire takes a set and becomes a bit more flexible over the next 1000 miles or so.

Nope.

The tire doesn't change, the rider's muscle memory does. I go back and forth, and every time I go back to the car tire after riding on moto tires for a couple thousand miles I have to go through the 'adjustment' period all over again. Usually takes about 100 miles or so.