Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to Udjeni's post, is it typical for the tire to be that hard to mount or would it be just for that particular tire due to sidewall or sumpin? :unsure: Also, do think he got the message way over there in South Africa that his cajones will either fall off immediately or have a 1-2 month delay after putting on the CT? :rolleyes: BTW, did others notice the mileage he had gotten from the PR2. Peeps on this board would kill for that mileage me thinks.

doctorj

As to Udjeni's post, is it typical for the tire to be that hard to mount or would it be just for that particular tire due to sidewall or sumpin? :unsure: Also, do think he got the message way over there in South Africa that his cajones will either fall off immediately or have a 1-2 month delay after putting on the CT? :rolleyes: BTW, did others notice the mileage he had gotten from the PR2. Peeps on this board would kill for that mileage me thinks.
doctorj
Tires do vary. The stiffer the sidewall, the more difficulty. Technique has a lot to do with it too. On automated changers, the problem is getting the second bead fully on. When you get to the last third, it wants to start rotating the tire on the wheel instead of continuing to slide the bead over the rim. The trick is to hold the lower bead up into the 'well' of the wheel, either with blocks or by pulling up on the bottom of the tire, (very difficult on the narrower moto wheel). This is where all the extra manpower comes in.

As to the PR2 mileage, ~13k isn't anything unusual for a PR2 on a FJR.

i dunno why it was so hard ours mine and catfish"s just about fell onto the rims. I have lots of miles on mine including snow miles about 15 packed snow miles different to be sure but surprisingly sure footed i actually had an easier time powering over the road with out my tire breaking loose. I was still scared my fj is perty heavy and im a 130 lb guy but c/t didnt let me down and got me home!!!!

Can't remember if I posted this or not. When they mounted my Yokohama, two guys did it. Took about 3 minutes. They used a long tire iron in front of the machine's " turning thingy" to help lift the bead over. I was 10' away, so didn't get a good look.

I'll be taking a trip to AR (if this #$%^& winter ever ends) that should finish off the CT. Lasted about 20,000 miles. Not complaining but wonder if other CTs get more miles. Ian, Iowa

Maybe BugR will let us know how his has been doing. He should have some good miles on. I'm still stuck at 25k on mine, having been doing too much work/sleep to get rides in. The 019 Grid still is wearing evenly and rides the same as it did new, though turn in is smoother now with the edges worn in some.

Eric and guys/gals,

Just hit 5k on my Michelin Pilot Plus. Would post a pic, but it still looks like it did the day I mounted it...

Darkside12.jpg

...except a little dirtier.

ZERO measureable wear in 5k miles. I fully expect 30-40K miles from this tire.

Also, do think he got the message way over there in South Africa that his cajones will either fall off immediately or have a 1-2 month delay after putting on the CT? :rolleyes:
Yeah, I heard that, but since we've got extra cajones in this part of the world, losing a couple doesn't scare me. :lol:

Also, do think he got the message way over there in South Africa that his cajones will either fall off immediately or have a 1-2 month delay after putting on the CT? :rolleyes:
Yeah, I heard that, but since we've got extra cajones in this part of the world, losing a couple doesn't scare me. :lol:
Keep of the good work, Udjeni....

Over here, we store all our extra testicles in a town just a few miles east of Arlington, Virginia, HERE! :rofl:

Hey OC one more time just wanted to drop in and say big ups to you!! My potenza is still flawless, ive tested it every way imaginable, leaned it way down in the corners (apprehensively at first, admittedly) hauled ass out, put it through every pace you can think of and its still a beaut. Cant thank you enough for your pioneering work in this particular field of study.

I think i have around 3 or 4k on it so far, maybe more, i havent really been counting, but the quality of the riding has been good. (weather here has been el sucko this year, so between that and family issues my riding time has been minimal)

If i ever ride your way ill buy you a beer. (no homo) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the props DangerDog. Glad it's working well for you. I'm still pretty pleased at 28k myself, and still trying to wear out that first Potenza G019.

A note of caution for the CT users - Pay attention to your tire pressure. Due to the stiffness of the sidewalls, compared to a moto tire, the difference in feel between the 31 psi many of us run and say, 21 psi, is very slight. However, the sides of the tire will wear much more at low pressures if you ride the twisties in a normal fashion.

The larger concern is that if you pick up a nail or other item causing a leak, that you might miss the fact while riding on the road. I picked up an inch long piece of glass during a 500 mile day and didn't notice it during the ride as my pressure dropped 10 psi or so. Only caught it when I checked the tire condition and pressure before the next ride.

It feels like turn in is a little soft, or easier than normal. Please be aware of this and sensitive to it being a warning sign! If you even think it feels different, stop and check your tire pressure.

If we lose all the pressure in the tire, it may be possible to have cornering forces that push the tire off the wheel and result in an accident. I've had this happen on flat trailer tires, but it would be much more unpleasant with the FJR. Appearance doesn't change with a flat tire. The sidewalls are more than stiff enough to support the bike just like if it was aired up. Use a pressure gauge before each ride.

Appearance doesn't change with a flat tire. The sidewalls are more than stiff enough to support the bike just like if it was aired up. Use a pressure gauge before each ride.
I think I will go ahead and get another Smart Tire sensor for the second wheel considering this.

edit: If I can find one. :(

So.....

After reading this thread a few times. I decided to take the plunge.

Off to to tire rack I went and ordered a 205/50ZR -17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Stopped by the sports store and bought a strap.

Picture053.jpg

What can I say I liked the tread pattern.

The tire arrived yesterday. i removed the the rear wheel for the first time since my FeeJay left the dealership. Dang that was easy... :yahoo: :yahoo:

Loaded up the wheel and tire in to the truck to see if I could find someplace to mount it after work today.

On the way home from work I stopped by my favorite hole in the wall bike shop and asked. After getting told "my balls were going to fall off", I showed him my strap, and then he said "The bike would handle like crap on the twisties", I said shw was was a slab bike and I have a sport bike for that any way,then "Car tires were not made for motorcycles" he even had a article on why you should not do it. "Yeah Yeah I know all of that" I said. As I turned to leave he says $25 bucks and 25 mins we will have it done.

15 mins later $25 lighter I am on the way back to the house.

The install goes even faster than the removal. Opps torque rod. I spy a piece of 1/4 X 1 flat stock in the corner and fire up the grinder with a cut off wheel and wacked off 2 pieces and drilled 3 holes. Bolted it up. It will work for now well at least until I figer out a more elegant way to do it.

Picture054-1.jpg

And there she is.

09 FJR 6K miles and already one with the Darkside.

I just need one more darksider to slide in here so that I can be forum memeber #19 and darksider #19.
:rolleyes: If that's all that's stopping you, technically, BP is #18 because #17 is also SA1. I can play that one either way.

I just need one more darksider to slide in here so that I can be forum memeber #19 and darksider #19.
:rolleyes: If that's all that's stopping you, technically, BP is #18 because #17 is also SA1. I can play that one either way.
Perhaps I can help..... I have my spare rim all set with the Michelin pilot ready to go. Does that count or do I need more proof?

Perhaps I can help..... I have my spare rim all set with the Michelin pilot ready to go. Does that count or do I need more proof?
Oh yeah, do it. I'm actually waiting on the brake disc for my wheel to arrive.

Post a pic and you're in. Normally it's nice to see it on the bike, but spare wheel guys swing both ways...

:unsure: