Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Fine

So am I #17 or #18

just want to be sure I have the correct numbers on the darth FeeJeer helmet sticker

WOOT POST 1K

:yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yahoo!!! I nailed Reply #1000!!! (not Post #1000, that don't count, BPFowler :finger: )

does not count? Only in your world Howie.

1K posts 1k replies Not that is really matters.

And this thread still lives.

only about 19 people here have done this and we have over 1000 posts. what ever way you look at it this thread is the longest for the fewest number of actual converts.

30 k out of that tire thats alot of saved cash . 3 pr2 say 400 bucks ,I just might have to do the same . Thanks for all the info .

30 k out of that tire thats alot of saved cash . 3 pr2 say 400 bucks ,I just might have to do the same . Thanks for all the info .
Don't forget to read the Darkside FAQ too. Much shorter than this thread!

While we currently have 19 public darksiders, there are another ~dozen that I know of that are not public, some not on the forum at all.

Eventually it will happen, I'll run into some guy on the road and he'll tell me all about why I should run a CT on my FJR... :lol:

Alright, got the tire mounted. The local Honda/Can-Am dealer took care of it with more than a couple suspicious questions. I called Skagit Powersports but they didn't even let me get to the "sidecar" explanation and just said that they won't mount car tires on motorcycle wheels.

The dealer only has 3 of the bolts I need for the brake rotor and I still need to sort out the caliper arm (I'm hoping to get it cut in half as I've seen done before in this thread) but, other than that, I'm ready to give it a try.

I went with a Falken ZE512. It seems to fit the bill between price, specs and tread design. I shall see.

P1040608.jpg

So, now to focus on the most trivial aspect of this, do I get spot #19? :)

Mark

Perhaps I can help..... I have my spare rim all set with the Michelin pilot ready to go. Does that count or do I need more proof?
Post a pic and you're in. Normally it's nice to see it on the bike, but spare wheel guys swing both ways...

:unsure:
:lol2: :lol2:

Well................I don't exactly have it on the rim yet.......I have the spare wheel (bought from ebay a few threads ago) and the tire, but I'm just wanting to finish off the few K I have left on my Azzaro before I take it to have it mounted. I'm leaving the road attack on the spare 'cause it's got 6-7K left on it. I'll make it official once it's on the bike.............I don't want to sully the prestige of becoming an official darksider. Sorry Meosborn...................

Well, you went this far...

Ok, you can have #19, but I'm not putting it on the FAQ list until you actually ride on the CT. So wishy washy, these spare wheel guys! What, the hardware store doesn't have bolts? Probably cheaper and stronger than the Yamaha butter-steel ones too. Button head, allen cap screws in 8mm or so? Grade what ever is metric for 8. <_<

Ok, you can have #19, but I'm not putting it on the FAQ list until you actually ride on the CT. So wishy washy, these spare wheel guys! What, the hardware store doesn't have bolts? Probably cheaper and stronger than the Yamaha butter-steel ones too. Button head, allen cap screws in 8mm or so? Grade what ever is metric for 8. <_<
Not until I ride on it huh? Man, you run a strict operation. :)

I thought about getting hardware from Ace but since I still need to get the caliper arm taken care of it isn't an emergency.

Bwaaaaaaaaa!!! :rofl:

Eric, thanks for the laugh. You're always good for a grin and the ol' lady's bein' a handbrake this mornin'. I needed that!

All right, tire time. Looking into this thing. Saw Howie's bike a while back, didn't examine Howie hisownself but he's not soprano, so the gonad detachment theory is now a confirmed fallacy (phallusy?) or in Mythbusters terms, BUSTED.

Got onto Tire Rack and looked around, tires ranged from a Sumitomo for 61 bucks to some outrageous prices, up around $250!!! Looking at a couple right in the 95-100 dollar range, and then hoping I can find a shop to pop it on.

There's a Yokohama at $97, a Dunlop at $99, and a Kuhmo at $101. I had some Kuhmos on a cage once, and they didn't hold balance, or maybe shape, as they wore; started getting a bit rough. The Yokos and Dunlops have a similar directional "gatorback" tread, and it "looks" like the shoulder tread blocks on the Dunlop are larger, i.e. perhaps less flexible. At the bottom of the price range there are three different Sumitomo models, but . . . . Sumitomo. Seriously?

I've also got some thoughts about the torque arm for the brake caliper, and I'm wondering if I can't do away with it altogether by running a pin through that bolt hole and into the swingarm. Offset's a little high, which worries me, big shear load, so maybe the pin plus a tension brace extending to a point further up the swingarm, but still well clear of the tire. Obviously a good solid bar of steel will suffice in place of the existing torque arm, but it would just seem "cleaner" with the caliper fixed right into the swingarm. Hell, in my opinion, shaft drive, the caliper ought to be mounted on the swingarm instead of the axle, since we don't have to adjust the axle for chain tension, but that's more of a change than I can handle.

Anyway, it's gotta happen this week, as the bike's tire is showing the underlayer of rubber, but no cord or steel yet. Won't be long, though.

Thoughts on these tires, anyone?

Dang, Walt...72 different tires in the "right" size. Lotta choices!

All I can say about choice, is go what you feel good about in the price range you're looking for. I probably spent $60 more than I needed to, but I just liked everything about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus I put on my bike, from its uni-directional tread to the UTOG rating to the 45,000 mile warranty. 6000 miles on it and it still has the little rubber "feelers" between the tread blocks. I don't think a single molecule has worn off yet.

I've also got some thoughts about the torque arm for the brake caliper, and I'm wondering if I can't do away with it altogether by running a pin through that bolt hole and into the swingarm. Offset's a little high, which worries me, big shear load, so maybe the pin plus a tension brace extending to a point further up the swingarm, but still well clear of the tire. Obviously a good solid bar of steel will suffice in place of the existing torque arm, but it would just seem "cleaner" with the caliper fixed right into the swingarm. Hell, in my opinion, shaft drive, the caliper ought to be mounted on the swingarm instead of the axle, since we don't have to adjust the axle for chain tension, but that's more of a change than I can handle.
Anyway, it's gotta happen this week, as the bike's tire is showing the underlayer of rubber, but no cord or steel yet. Won't be long, though.

Thoughts on these tires, anyone?
Check out the FAQ for tires currently in use. I kinda agree on the caliper on the swing arm, but Yamaha sure likes the existing method, and just may know something we don't. :unsure: I suggest KISS. ;) At least until you've popped your cherry.

Got onto Tire Rack and looked around, tires ranged from a Sumitomo for 61 bucks to some outrageous prices, up around $250!!!
Eish! You guys are sooo lucky. Over here I basically had a choice of 1 tyre, maybe 2 if I was willing to compromise on a symmetric tread, and that one cost $300. :angry2: But then a PR2 costs $230 over here. :(

Bwaaaaaaaaa!!! :rofl:

Eric, thanks for the laugh. You're always good for a grin and the ol' lady's bein' a handbrake this mornin'. I needed that!
Oh Yeah, and I'll just betcha you have been a real ray of sunshine today yourself: Tu Puto Perro - Manatee Molester!!!