Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've been watching this thread since its inception. All along I have been one of the nay say-ers, not wanting to believe that a tire designed for an automotive application could possibly handle and perform as well as a tire purpose-built for bikes. But, as far as I can see, there has only been one person who's tried the koolaid and didn't sing the praises (Bungie) and that may eventually come down to a bad choice of CT model on his part.

I am not a slab rider. Period. Given the choice of getting somewhere twice as fast (by taking the slab) or not, I'll take the longer, secondary roads route almost every time. I also do not participate in any sort of endurance, high mileage (iron butt type) riding. For those reason, I have been resistant to trying a CT myself.

This last set of tires, in lieu of my favorite combo of Pirelli Diablo Strada front and Roadsmart rear, which had always netted me ~8k miles per set, I tried a set of PR2's. I now have just over 8k miles on them and the back one is just about done. The center of the tire still has at least another 3-4k miles left on it, but the softer compound sides won't pass inspection next spring as the tread is down below 1/32" in some places.

Unlike some others, I liked the performance of the PR2's for the most part. The front did become noisy fairly early on, but the traction seemed fine even with the noise so that didn't bother me like it does some others. I also noticed that the hard center compound in the rear tire is very slippery when it's cold out and my ABS was firing off a lot when the temps were below freezing.

Since I'm apparently not really benefiting form this harder center compound in terms of extending my rear tire wear, it seems like maybe the PR2's dual compound rear tire design is not quite right for someone like me that, due to route choices, rides on the sides of their tires more often than the center strip.

Considering all of the positive feedback surround darksiding, and lack of much negativity, I think that I will have to give it a try myself. That is really the only way that I will ever know if darksiding is for me or not. The investment is pretty small, and the upside potential is pretty big. If I don't like the results I'm betting that I will have no problem in selling off a used Exalto with a few k miles on it.

I look forward to reading your comments Fred. I was not too sure how FJRONAMISSION was going to like darksiding, being a bit of a hooligan. Yet he's happy and has contributed to the information significantly in this thread and broke new ground on tire choices too.

Bottom line, any input from you regarding your first hand experience is very welcome. It all adds to the forum's knowledge base and helps others to decide if they want to give darksiding a try, or stick with what they know. Even if you decide it's not for you, that still adds to the topic and benefits others if we understand your process and reasons.

After Brodie's comments, I'm wondering what it will feel like going from an FJR with a car tire to my ST1300 with MC tire. I ride both equally and then will add a Super tenere later. Will see.

JDP

What pressure range seems to be the best for the Exalto? IIRC, Kirrilian told me it makes a big difference in handling i.e. more than the motorcycle tire.

doctorj
I run 30 psi, and I weigh 180, rarely have a passenger, and load the bags frequently. I've tried 35 (too stiff) and 25 is way too loose. So baby bear felt that 30 is just right :)

After Brodie's comments, I'm wondering what it will feel like going from an FJR with a car tire to my ST1300 with MC tire. I ride both equally and then will add a Super tenere later. Will see.

JDP
I rode RaYzermans when he tried my CT and I did notice it felt more responsive, but it only took 1 corner to re-adjust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a follow up...

My new '06 AE now is shod with an Exalto and I took it on a brief shake down run this evening around town.

It's been almost 6 months since I was taken out by a 2000 *Chevy Silverado on a dark levy road south of Sacramento. Post recovery I've driven my Daughter's CBR 600F4i about a hundred miles, and my replacement FJR about 1500 miles. I must have acclimated myself to the Metzler on the rear, the first few hundred feet down my road with the Exalto woke me up to the wonderful "self righting" quality of low speed driving.
blink.gif
OH, I remember this now - use a little body english at these parking lot speeds. It's interesting comparing what I remember how my Bridgestone 019 Grid handled with what I am experiencing now. It seems that by shifting my hips to the left the bike wants to fall into that direction, shift to the right it falls in that way. I don't recall my 'Stone handling quite like that.

Once I got up to speed the familiarity came back. It may take a few tanks of gas before I can fully drive this thing, but I think it's all in my head. I'll say this the Exalto feels good right from the get go, the 'Stone took a little breaking in.

I'm looking forward to the rain.
tongue.gif

Brodie

*I wonder if the driver of that Silverado is a member of the local ELKS lodge.
glare.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I was forced back to a MC tire when I replace my wrecked '06 with another one. It had the Metzler Roadtech rear on with about 1k when I got it a month ago - just getting a flat spot started down the middle. I never felt planted on this tire. My last bike had a 019 Grid, and with my 10k worth of miles I never had it slip on me, it inspired a lot of confidence in the way it handled. With this new bike, another '06, I don't trust the MC tire. We've been through some rain in the past few weeks and I felt like it was going to let go several times. With 1500 or so miles I put on it it looks like a poorly cupped front tire, all misshapen with a definite flat spot, horribly worn just off the flat spot - the sipes nearly gone, and plenty of met near the edge. With the Rifle windshield I can hear the tire howling when I lean just a little bit left or right, and that's at 44 psi.
I've got to echo what Brodie says about "not trusting the MC tire..."

I've got 12,000 miles on my CT now on the Feej. But for the sake of keeping my ZRX "fresh as a daisy" I've been splitting up riding between the two bikes. The ZRX has Michelin Pilot Powers on it...one of the stickiest MC tires on the market, good for 5,000 miles if you're lucky. They have about 1200 miles on them. Even with low mileage, sticky tires, I feel MUCH less confident on the ZRX than I do on the FJR. And that's with a bike 150 pounds LIGHTER than the FJR, albeit with the same power characteristics as the FJR. Rolling on the throttle in a curve with the FJR just creates acceleration. Rolling on the throttle in the same circumstance with the ZRX with a MC tire CAN cause slippage, which I've NEVER felt on the CT. I'm way past any personal debate about whether the CT is good for me....I'm convinced it's good for the FJR and I'll never go back.

I also want to echo Brodie's thanks to Eric/OCFJR for beginning the adventure.

one other plus on the CT is my Wife like the ride on it much more. Guess with the lower pressure it does not jolt her as much on rougher stretches.

Ok as a FNG I must tippy toe in here some. I wear Steel Toe boots. Plus I am posting while on some OxyC for my crash last week... I am shopping for a new bike and so far it looks like its going to be a FJR1300AE (60%) or a Burgman 650 Scooter (40%). I will Darkside the bike as soon as the first tire is gone. I tried to read all these 86 pages but my bandwidth is limited. I ran a Potenza RE92 160/65 SR14 on my 03 Burgman for over 15,000 miles.

Has anyone made a list of Car tires that has worked on a FJR? If ya could PM me, thanks up front.

Ok as a FNG I must tippy toe in here some. I wear Steel Toe boots. Plus I am posting while on some OxyC for my crash last week... I am shopping for a new bike and so far it looks like its going to be a FJR1300AE (60%) or a Burgman 650 Scooter (40%). I will Darkside the bike as soon as the first tire is gone. I tried to read all these 86 pages but my bandwidth is limited. I ran a Potenza RE92 160/65 SR14 on my 03 Burgman for over 15,000 miles.

Has anyone made a list of Car tires that has worked on a FJR? If ya could PM me, thanks up front.
You'll find a lot of questions answered on this FAQ thread.

--G

You'll find a lot of questions answered on this FAQ thread.

--G

Curious George :)

A free beer to the gentleman from Snohomish for pointing the new guy to the source. Thanks G.

I was forced back to a MC tire when I replace my wrecked '06 with another one. It had the Metzler Roadtech rear on with about 1k when I got it a month ago - just getting a flat spot started down the middle. I never felt planted on this tire. My last bike had a 019 Grid, and with my 10k worth of miles I never had it slip on me, it inspired a lot of confidence in the way it handled. With this new bike, another '06, I don't trust the MC tire. We've been through some rain in the past few weeks and I felt like it was going to let go several times. With 1500 or so miles I put on it it looks like a poorly cupped front tire, all misshapen with a definite flat spot, horribly worn just off the flat spot - the sipes nearly gone, and plenty of met near the edge. With the Rifle windshield I can hear the tire howling when I lean just a little bit left or right, and that's at 44 psi.
I've got to echo what Brodie says about "not trusting the MC tire..."

I've got 12,000 miles on my CT now on the Feej. But for the sake of keeping my ZRX "fresh as a daisy" I've been splitting up riding between the two bikes. The ZRX has Michelin Pilot Powers on it...one of the stickiest MC tires on the market, good for 5,000 miles if you're lucky. They have about 1200 miles on them. Even with low mileage, sticky tires, I feel MUCH less confident on the ZRX than I do on the FJR. And that's with a bike 150 pounds LIGHTER than the FJR, albeit with the same power characteristics as the FJR. Rolling on the throttle in a curve with the FJR just creates acceleration. Rolling on the throttle in the same circumstance with the ZRX with a MC tire CAN cause slippage, which I've NEVER felt on the CT. I'm way past any personal debate about whether the CT is good for me....I'm convinced it's good for the FJR and I'll never go back.

I also want to echo Brodie's thanks to Eric/OCFJR for beginning the adventure.
You are making this hard on me. I've got a new set of PR2s to go onto my bike very soon, but now I may get the exalto and do the dirty (dark) deed and see how it goes. I can always go back to the new PR2 rear I guess. I got the brake stay from Kirillian so good to go. Decisions--sheesh!!

doctorj