Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've been watching this thread since its inception. All along I have been one of the nay say-ers, not wanting to believe that a tire designed for an automotive application could possibly handle and perform as well as a tire purpose-built for bikes. But, as far as I can see, there has only been one person who's tried the koolaid and didn't sing the praises (Bungie) and that may eventually come down to a bad choice of CT model on his part.

I am not a slab rider. Period. Given the choice of getting somewhere twice as fast (by taking the slab) or not, I'll take the longer, secondary roads route almost every time. I also do not participate in any sort of endurance, high mileage (iron butt type) riding. For those reason, I have been resistant to trying a CT myself.

This last set of tires, in lieu of my favorite combo of Pirelli Diablo Strada front and Roadsmart rear, which had always netted me ~8k miles per set, I tried a set of PR2's. I now have just over 8k miles on them and the back one is just about done. The center of the tire still has at least another 3-4k miles left on it, but the softer compound sides won't pass inspection next spring as the tread is down below 1/32" in some places.

Unlike some others, I liked the performance of the PR2's for the most part. The front did become noisy fairly early on, but the traction seemed fine even with the noise so that didn't bother me like it does some others. I also noticed that the hard center compound in the rear tire is very slippery when it's cold out and my ABS was firing off a lot when the temps were below freezing.

Since I'm apparently not really benefiting form this harder center compound in terms of extending my rear tire wear, it seems like maybe the PR2's dual compound rear tire design is not quite right for someone like me that, due to route choices, rides on the sides of their tires more often than the center strip.

Considering all of the positive feedback surround darksiding, and lack of much negativity, I think that I will have to give it a try myself. That is really the only way that I will ever know if darksiding is for me or not. The investment is pretty small, and the upside potential is pretty big. If I don't like the results I'm betting that I will have no problem in selling off a used Exalto with a few k miles on it.
Fred, I'm not going to the dark side anytime soon but, speaking from an Un-biased point of view after riding for two days watching Howie's rear end!

(Damn, that sounds wrong) :eek: I can say that although it was all slabbing, during the lane changes I saw that there was plenty of real estate of the tire contacting

the asphalt. The contact patch was almost equivalent to a regular tire. I'm addicted to the PR2's but seeing Howie's tire perform, I'm not hatin' the idea anymore.

I say, give it a try. I think you might like it! :rolleyes:

I say, give it a try. I think you might like it! :rolleyes:
Thanks for the encouragement.

I've convinced myself I have nothing much to lose (except perhaps my dignity! :eek: ), so will definitely be trying it in the spring. Although we don't have any snow standing yet, it is just a matter of days before the bad whiteness happens. That will give me plenty of time to purchase and install a CT and the required brake stay.

I intend on running the new CT with my old (>8k mi.) PR2 on the front at least until that one fades away. Then I'll have to try and find out what the best front tire is to pair with a CT. Maybe another PR2? :unsure:

I can only think of a couple of ways to be behind Howie and see him smiling at the same time, and neither one is good . . . . To my way of thinking, anyway! And for God's sake, certainly not for two days!!!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I intend on running the new CT with my old (>8k mi.) PR2 on the front at least until that one fades away. Then I'll have to try and find out what the best front tire is to pair with a CT. Maybe another PR2? :unsure:
Fred, I gotta tell ya, the PR2 on the front performs wonderfully with the CT on the rear. I put a brand new PR2 on my Feej the same day I had the CT mounted on the rear....12k miles and I haven't hit the wear-bars yet, and the tire profile is perfectly round...as in, no triangulation, cupping or odd wear.

I can't say having the CT on the rear makes the front wear more evenly, because I've religiously monitored the front air pressure to keep it at 40psi, so I'm sure that is a contributing factor. I'm very happy with the PR2/CT combo.

Fred, I gotta tell ya, the PR2 on the front performs wonderfully with the CT on the rear. I put a brand new PR2 on my Feej the same day I had the CT mounted on the rear....12k miles and I haven't hit the wear-bars yet, and the tire profile is perfectly round...as in, no triangulation, cupping or odd wear.

I can't say having the CT on the rear makes the front wear more evenly, because I've religiously monitored the front air pressure to keep it at 40psi, so I'm sure that is a contributing factor. I'm very happy with the PR2/CT combo.
+1! :good: Yeah Baby! The wear on those PR2's are unbelieable! :dance:

+1! :good: Yeah Baby! The wear on those PR2's are unbelievable! :dance:

Well my Yokohama Advan has finally come to an end after only 25,000 miles. Today I mounted a nice new Exalto. Looking forward to another 25-30000 miles of Darksiding. I would like to thank OCFer for starting this whole idea with the FJR. Life is indeed good.

Thanks Eric. Hope to see you at Busters to collect! ;)
Sadly, the FJR is not quite fast enough for me to be two places at once and I'll be in Nevada participating in the White Stag winter rally. I may arrange for you to be taken care of all the same. Busters is good chow and service.

How many of the Dark Siders have had their CT's "Siped" before mounting them? I have a shop near by that will do it, but I was just wondering if people have found it to be worth doing.

How many of the Dark Siders have had their CT's "Siped" before mounting them?
Ok, I'm curious! What is this "Siped" thing of which you speak? :huh: Never heard of that before! :unsure:
Siping is where the dealer cuts radial slices all the way around the tire. Theory is the tire flexes more, extends mileage and traction. I do it on my truck tires, mostly for snow traction. And I don't think anyone has.

How many of the Dark Siders have had their CT's "Siped" before mounting them?
Ok, I'm curious! What is this "Siped" thing of which you speak? :huh: Never heard of that before! :unsure:
Siping is where the dealer cuts radial slices all the way around the tire. Theory is the tire flexes more, extends mileage and traction. I do it on my truck tires, mostly for snow traction. And I don't think anyone has.
Cool, Thanks! Damn good Idea! :)

All road tires (except "slicks" and , some, "knobbies") have sipes -- what you're talking about, here, is a process called 'micro-sipe'. Many more 'slits' are cut in the tire's tread surface -- allowing it to flex more -- and, usually, giving more traction on ice (B'stone Blizzak). It must be done on brand new, un-used, tires (to protect the cutting tool) and has been around for decades.

Can't comment on motorcycle efficacy... :unsure:

All road tires (except "slicks" and , some, "knobbies") have sipes -- what you're talking about, here, is a process called 'micro-sipe'. Many more 'slits' are cut in the tire's tread surface -- allowing it to flex more -- and, usually, giving more traction on ice (B'stone Blizzak). It must be done on brand new, un-used, tires (to protect the cutting tool) and has been around for decades.

Can't comment on motorcycle efficacy... :unsure:
I had No Idea! Thanks for the Info! :clapping:

I will have to make sure I sipe the snow and mud tires I put on the FJR for the winter to extend the season then.

Nice info to have. Thanks.