Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On another site a poster micro siped this Potenza. Found that it was a bit more squirmy in the corners. He ran the same size tire on his wifes Honda Insite so he swapped out for an unsiped one. His plans were to have just the center siped but the tire tech did the whole width.

So IF one of ya all think about it, try it without the sides siped. I dont see it helping on a lightweight bike.

I ordered the Pilot Exalto A/S tire last night. I got it from onlinetires.com for $152 and free shipping. That was best price I could find, but not sure it was a good deal. I guess I'll let you know when I get it on the bike. I will have a PR2 rear tire to either sell or save.

doctorj

I ordered the Pilot Exalto A/S tire last night. I got it from onlinetires.com for $152 and free shipping. That was best price I could find, but not sure it was a good deal. I guess I'll let you know when I get it on the bike. I will have a PR2 rear tire to either sell or save.

doctorj
You did good, doctorj. I never found one that cheap, but I did buy a used one for $90 w/90% tread.

Anyway...I found this tire. Yokohama AVID ENVigor. Price isn't too bad, and it seems to have good ratings. I'll give it a go when time for a rear tire change.
My rear PR2 doesn't want to die. 11k+ miles on it and it still have a good amount of thread depth left. It is starting to get flat in the center though. Better safe than sorry, so I'll probably be purchasing the above tire to install in January. I have some other maintenance to do on the bike, so I'll probably all plan it around the same time.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I was looking at the road cams lots of snow up in the passes- "carry traction chains or tires"..... Sooooo has anybody run a studded tire?

I am waiting to see if Santa is putting a CT in the stocking ;)

I'm not sure what one would gain by preparing one end of the bike for ice. The other end has some import in its operation, I'm told . . . . :lol:

Ooh. Unless one plans to keep the other end in the air all the time!!! :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at the road cams lots of snow up in the passes- "carry traction chains or tires"..... Sooooo has anybody run a studded tire?
The problem with studs is the same with moto tires. On a bike, traction is important, both in a lean and vertically. Studs hold the rubber off the road some, which really starts to impact traction when there is no snow or ice to allow the studs to dig in and the rest of the tire to have purchase.

You can easily stud the front too, Aerostich/Rider Warehouse sells kits. If you rode in full winter conditions, this would be the shit. The frozen wilds riders tell me that in really cold weather, regular tires do pretty well on the bike too. Really cold snow has a stickyness that wet snow lacks. eh.

...The frozen wilds riders tell me that in really cold weather, regular tires do pretty well on the bike too. Really cold snow has a stickyness that wet snow lacks. eh.
'Strewth -- it's been said that the Eskimo have 100 different words for snow.

Anyone who's groomed snow trails knows (some of) the difference as well as cross-country skiers (who have different waxes for traction).

Edit: winter traction (cont.) -- Scandinavian rally teams use tall/skinny tires in winter (wide & flat = no good).

One of the more onerous traction offenders is -- horsepower (more HP often means less traction). Hence the proliferation of Digital Traction Control (and its step-sister: ABS).

Have exceeded 500 miles with this darkside tire. No regrets, and it feels more secure in corners now. BTW, it was 80 F on the gulf coast today, very nice day for riding.

I agree 100%
With a two year old post. Go with that BigBlu. :lol: :lol:

You might want to check out the FAQ. While your opinion is noted, it's not really going to change the fact that about 40 of us have been doing this for a while now w/o issues.

I agree 100%

You might want to check out the FAQ. While your opinion is noted, it's not really going to change the fact that about 40 of us have been doing this for a while now w/o issues.
Your diplomacy skills are getting better Eric. :rolleyes: My darkside experience will probably begin when the snow melts.

I agree 100%

Your diplomacy skills are getting better Eric. :rolleyes: My darkside experience will probably begin when the snow melts.
Well Ray, how was Eric going to argue the wearing ladies underwear part with BigBlu? Merry Christmas to All of You FJR Darksiders!

You wierdos need someone pulling for you in your corner, might as well be Jesu Cristo!

Well Ray, how was Eric going to argue the wearing ladies underwear part with BigBlu? Merry Christmas to All of You FJR Darksiders!

You wierdos need someone pulling for you in your corner, might as well be Jesu Cristo!

Yes, God protects fools, dogs, and little children.

Yes, God protects fools, dogs, little children, manatee molesters, goat defilers, armadillo screwers and sheep feckers!
I fixed it for you, you're welcome! Senor El Toro, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2011: From the AZ Stanley Boys!

Papa Chuy,

We are still waiting for you to join us.

I am up to 34K miles on my Bridgestone Potenza Grid. I rode it another 1,000 miles on Tuesday to finish my 4 seasons saddlesore ride. I have used it in the "Ride Like a Pro" and "Streetmasters" motorcycle training courses, as well as all kinds of riding conditions and it works great.

I will post up a picture of the tread when I get a chance. I am looking forward to setting a new longevity record in a few months as I go past Mr. Ocfjr's current record of 36K+...

Papa Chuy,

We are still waiting for you to join us.

I am up to 34K miles on my Bridgestone Potenza Grid. I rode it another 1,000 miles on Tuesday to finish my 4 seasons saddlesore ride. I have used it in the "Ride Like a Pro" and "Streetmasters" motorcycle training courses, as well as all kinds of riding conditions and it works great.

I will post up a picture of the tread when I get a chance. I am looking forward to setting a new longevity record in a few months as I go past Mr. Ocfjr's current record of 36K+...
Feliz Navidad Doug and Happy New Year 2011 from Stanley Boys of Arizona! You're right mi Compadre, my Miss Lucy Liu would be the perfect candidate for a Car Tire.

I'm not an aggressive rider like Fairlaner and SkooterG, and I ride high mileages down in Mexico; where moto tires don't exist! My Best Buddy Big-D already has one!!!

Yes, God protects fools, dogs, little children, manatee molesters, goat defilers, armadillo screwers and sheep feckers!
I fixed it for you, you're welcome! Senor El Toro, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2011: From the AZ Stanley Boys!
Muchas Gracias Senor Papa Chuy!

I had thought about adding transvestites (with the underwear and all), but decided to let it go.

The Lord works in mysterious ways :unsure: