Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still riding on mine.. Shit I've ten years of tread left..

And I've actually had hard parts on the ground and didn't crash.. Granted my technique sucks It's all good by me.

Ain't even going over to the lite thread... Lite beer drinkers hang there.

Gurlz..

OK, I'll admit it: I've been getting a little throttle happy lately. Was on my way to work on a nice dry morning, about 70 degrees, and stopped at one of the 12 or so lights along the way. Light turned green, and I took off in my usual manner: release the clutch, give the throttle a good twist, shift at about 5 k and ease off once up to speed, just over 50 for most of the trip to work. However, I forget just how much power I'm putting down and how much weight I'm moving. I'll be honest, the FJR takes off so smoothly most of the time, I forget to expect the unexpected. Anyway, at one intersection, the crosswalk has a number of large painted stripes in my path. I got a huge surprise going over one of them. The stripe was about a foot wide and maybe 6 feet long. As soon as the back tire hit that thing under 3/4 throttle at about 3k rpm, the tire began spinning... for that six feet. My mind was off somewhere and I didn't expect it... it just caught me by surprise. The FJR recovered just fine, but the ordeal sure got my attention. Once again, I'm reminded that the power of an FJR is deceptive. Guess I need to remember that if the Feej is in gear, the brain better be too.

Gary

sideslider #44

OK, I'll admit it: I've been getting a little throttle happy lately. Was on my way to work on a nice dry morning, about 70 degrees, and stopped at one of the 12 or so lights along the way. Light turned green, and I took off in my usual manner: release the clutch, give the throttle a good twist, shift at about 5 k and ease off once up to speed, just over 50 for most of the trip to work. However, I forget just how much power I'm putting down and how much weight I'm moving. I'll be honest, the FJR takes off so smoothly most of the time, I forget to expect the unexpected. Anyway, at one intersection, the crosswalk has a number of large painted stripes in my path. I got a huge surprise going over one of them. The stripe was about a foot wide and maybe 6 feet long. As soon as the back tire hit that thing under 3/4 throttle at about 3k rpm, the tire began spinning... for that six feet. My mind was off somewhere and I didn't expect it... it just caught me by surprise. The FJR recovered just fine, but the ordeal sure got my attention. Once again, I'm reminded that the power of an FJR is deceptive. Guess I need to remember that if the Feej is in gear, the brain better be too.

Gary

sideslider #44
It was probably good that your "mind was off somewhere" when the spin occurred. If you would have had time to "panic" something bad might have happened!!??

Glad it worked out.

Heavy throttle on wet roads can surprise you some times also. especially when you have a slight lean. :rolleyes: That's when a little dirt experience comes in handy.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Heavy throttle on wet roads can surprise you some times also.

Dave
Hey Dave. It's funny: that's exactly what I was expecting... when the roads were wet. I could spin the tire quite easily on a wet road... before I went to the dark side. Now it's a different story. It's amazing how much traction that Exalto has in the wet. That's exactly why it took me by surprise when I spun up the rear tire on that white stripe. It was a perfectly dry day.

Gary

I did it and I LIKE it.

After much reading and debate between my friends and myself I pulled the trigger and went to the Darkside. I barely noticed a differnce. After 45 years of riding, mostly dirt bikes, you would think I would have noticed a huge difference from such a radical profile change, but NO. Either I'm lame or the tire is working just fine. I didn't push it because both tires are new and I only went 35 miles. I will wait until a few more haet cycles are in them. My last 4 sets of tires only lasted 6-7,000miles before they were toast, hopefully this will free up more time and $$.

I have only posted a couple times but have been a follower since before I bought my AE in Sept '06. I would like to thank all of you innovators and experimenters for the knowledge you have provided here. My bike is almost where I want it thanks to you guys without hardly any missteps. Last items on my list are aux tank(taildragger), mirrors and driving lights.

Anyway thanks again. I linked some pictures, hope the link works.

The picture link didn't work. I'll try again

155.jpg

159.jpg
:ph34r:

Congrats!

I had a nice experiance a couple days ago. I was at my local Yamaha store and ran into someone who was asking a few questions about my bike and CT. After answering them I found out he was a Motorman for Dade County FL. He had actually evaluated the FJR, ST, and BMW motorcycles as a replacement for their current Harleys. I tossed him the keys and suggested he try a CT and give me his opinion. He rode it with apprehension into the first turn and when he did not burst into flames, he just started riding normally. The ride only lasted about 2 miles. After we got back to the store he was quite impressed. He said it really did not seem that much different than a standard tire. He was quite surprised at how well it cornered and stopped. Even commented on the larger contact patch of the CT handling loose stuff such as sand much better than a moto tre. All in all he was quite impressed. Coming from someone who spends 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week riding professionally, it was quite an endorsement. He did admit all the ideas he had about a CT were completly wrong. I already knew that. VBG

Larry,

With that last post, you nailed it my friend. I mean you said it ALL. Everybody considering the darkside oughta read your post several times.

RPAETZ - Congratulations on your decision. Welcome to the darkside collective. Resistance was futile. You have been assimilated. Your experiences and your future posts will be a credit to the darkside. There will be no limit to your power now. On a more serious note, let me ask you a question for comparison sake. Have you noticed a difference in the amount of pressure (on the handlebars) it takes to initiate a turn at low speeds, say 10 mph or so? If you read my first post as a new darksider ( # 1881 on page 95), it was the one area that I noticed the most on that first day. My FJR developed a little more neutral slow speed steering. What did you think?

Gary

darksider #44

Screenshot2011-02-05at94131PM.png

Thanks Gary, I did notice LESS pressure required to maintain turn at lower speeds. Intiating turn felt a little heavy at first but after 4-5 turns it didn't register as any difference. The only negative handling issue is the tendency to "pull" to the low side of steeply crowned roads when going straight. Takes constant pressure to maintain line. Hands off straight line tracking on normal roads is actually better and stopping the bike it just stays up, no lean until you want it to.

RPAETZ - Welcome to the Darkside. You have been entered into the FAQ as Darksider # 47.

This thread exists to help people decide if this crazy idea is something they want to try or just stay away from. As you have discovered, it's not that different, but does offer both advantages and disadvantages. You used the info here to make an informed choice. Informed is good. Information is here so that others can learn from the existing trial and error.

Thanks Gary, I did notice LESS pressure required to maintain turn at lower speeds. Intiating turn felt a little heavy at first but after 4-5 turns it didn't register as any difference. The only negative handling issue is the tendency to "pull" to the low side of steeply crowned roads when going straight. Takes constant pressure to maintain line. Hands off straight line tracking on normal roads is actually better and stopping the bike it just stays up, no lean until you want it to.
I've ridden on steeply crowned roads as well and haven't noticed this. You must be talking about some serious crowns... the likes of which aren't available much in my neck of the woods. Anyway, I have noticed that since I dropped my pressure to 31, a number of issues related to the tire feel better to me. Just my opinion...
Gary

darksider #44

--I've put about 2500 on it so far: the front PR 2 and the Exalto are wearing just fine. Will be taking a 5k trip in a couple weeks up the Blue Ridge Parkway and up through NY, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Omaha... might even check out the Grand Canyon. Should have some more info when I return in late June.

I got 2200 miles on the BF Goodrich before I had to replace it :angry2: Damned potholes anyway.

Going with a Nokian eNTYRE this go round. ;) Guy down the road has one on his Valkyrie and after sampling it I think is going to be fine.

I got 2200 miles on the BF Goodrich before I had to replace it :angry2: Damned potholes anyway.

Going with a Nokian eNTYRE this go round. ;) Guy down the road has one on his Valkyrie and after sampling it I think is going to be fine.
Jeeze Bust, have you considered a tire hazard warranty? Do post your observations on the Nokian and a pic once you've had some time to compare it for feel. I'll then add that info to the FAQ.

Funny you mention that Eric.

I asked the guys at Discount Tire and they said as it wasn't an approved application, they wouldn't warranty it :blink:

I'm still convinced the tire saved my rim from ruin. :)

Funny you mention that Eric.

I asked the guys at Discount Tire and they said as it wasn't an approved application, they wouldn't warranty it :blink:

I'm still convinced the tire saved my rim from ruin. :)
Yeah Bust, and if you shaved your ass and walked backwards your appearance would dramatically improve also! Ya fecking Jackass!

On the way to a 7-hour rally this past weekend I may have made one or two converts to the Dark Side. Two guys (one on a red FJR) in Ellensburg were on the way home to complete a SS1000 and stopped to refuel when I did. His riding buddy noticed the car tire and rattled off a lot of questions, and showed it off to all of the other passing motorcyclist needing fuel. :blink: Nobody believed that it worked, so I had to give a little demo as I left.

Confused the hell out of a lot more people at the rally itself, and illicited a "That's dangerous" from some knucklehead looking at Alchemy's dark-side FJR. Just responded with a "Don't knock it till you try it" and went back to programming my GPS. :glare: