Great Ride in NE Washington until...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AuburnFJR has it right. John Batterman is taking lead on coordinating everything, he can be reached at 425-765-7839 or [email protected]. As of right now, there isn't much to do. After they get home is when the real help will be needed. I'm keeping both of them updated on the posts and they are both overwhelmed and thankful for the amount of people who care about them. They just got moved into the same room and are happy to see each other again. The best and most current updates can be found here: https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/davidcolleenkillough. I update that as soon as anything happens, usually before I manage to get on here.

Once again, thanks for all the love and support.

Great news that your there David, when I called over the day of your dads surgery the gal who was in the room with your mom said you'd be headed over. I also understand your two younger bro's may be over this weekend and that is also good news as a little family reunion will be good for all.

Wish I could get back over, seeing them on the mend would be good for me also.

David & Colleen,

Totally at a loss for words - Barb and I were totally devastated when we heard of this. If there is anything we can do give us a holler.

Bryan, Marissa, Dave and Kevin way to go - you guys are a bunch of cool cucumbers............

Heal up quickly and see you soon on the westside,

J

I think things have calmed down enough to ask with out seeming superficial...

Does anyone know the status of the bike? I know the front end was pretty trashed.

Here's the latest: You can follow their progress here: https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/davidcolleenkillough

<LI class="entry first-entry">Friday, June 18, 2010 3:15 PM, PDT

Colleen is back in the room and doing fine. No report from the surgeon yet, but we should be getting one shortly. She has a nerve block in so she isn't feeling anything yet.

David is getting physical therapy right now, they had him walk around with a walker for a few minutes, now he's back in his recliner.

I'll post more info as soon as I talk to the surgeon.

<LI class=entry><A name=5672464>Friday, June 18, 2010 2:06 PM, PDT

Colleen is out of surgery and in the recovery room. She'll be there for an hour or so then they will move her back into David's room. I haven't spoken to the surgeon yet (she came into the waiting room to see me about 2 minutes after I left to check on David, awful timing) but hopefully will soon. More to follow.

Great news!

Incredible; a couple days away and find this posting.

Amazing efforts by the riding partners and injured riders as well.

It's was a great job done reporting this to the forum, well done, not too much info...and not too little...Thanks for keeping a level perspective and sharing this with us. Prayers sent up for The BR's and their family..a long process awaits, we pray for patience, strength and togetherness.....

Those onsight photos, gives priceless insight of the story.

From CaringBridge:

"Friday, June 18, 2010 3:56 PM, PDT

It seems that I have managed to omit one of David's most painful injuries: 7 broken ribs. While by no means dangerous or life threatening​, they are very painful and keep him from getting comfortable in his bed."

From CaringBridge:

It seems that I have managed to omit one of David's most painful injuries: 7 broken ribs. While by no means dangerous or life threatening​, they are very painful and keep him from getting comfortable in his bed."
Don't tell him any jokes, laughing will hurt like hell..

From CaringBridge:

Don't tell him any jokes, laughing will hurt like hell..
And fergawdsakes, don't bring anything in that will make him sneeze!!

From CaringBridge:

It is really late and I have not gotten too much sleep for the past couple nights, so I apologize if this entry isn't up to par. David seems to have finally gotten comfortable is seems to be sleeping soundly.

Dr. Smith, the surgeon who operated on Colleen's arm, finally made an appearance. She had been in the operating room all day, but was still able to talk to Colleen and myself. She said the "the surgery had gone beautifully" and that Colleen "would be impressed by the number of screws and plates in her arm but everything went back together." She also said that Colleen's arm is completely stable and can be moved or adjusted however it needed to be. This provided Colleen with a tremendous amount of relief, as she had been in some pretty intense pain. A new medication regimen, removing the sling, and repositioni​ng the arm has seemed to alleviate most of it, hopefully we can all get some sleep now."

From me: Family and friends, nothing better in this world.

Dave B

PS: As our friend Tyler can atteat to.

Last edited by a moderator:
From CaringBridge:
It is really late and I have not gotten too much sleep for the past couple nights, so I apologize if this entry isn't up to par. David seems to have finally gotten comfortable is seems to be sleeping soundly.

Dr. Smith, the surgeon who operated on Colleen's arm, finally made an appearance. She had been in the operating room all day, but was still able to talk to Colleen and myself. She said the "the surgery had gone beautifully" and that Colleen "would be impressed by the number of screws and plates in her arm but everything went back together." She also said that Colleen's arm is completely stable and can be moved or adjusted however it needed to be. This provided Colleen with a tremendous amount of relief, as she had been in some pretty intense pain. A new medication regimen, removing the sling, and repositioni​ng the arm has seemed to alleviate most of it, hopefully we can all get some sleep now."

Dave B

The worst part of that kind of surgery is not being able to move the arm. The muscle atrophies (Is that the right word?). Then, when it comes time to move, it REALLY hurts.... REALLY hurts. I hope she doesn't have to go through that.

Gut-wrenching story. Praying for a full and complete recovery for both. Thank God they were in the company of brave and capable friends when this occurred.

Craig

From CaringBridge:

Dave B

The worst part of that kind of surgery is not being able to move the arm. The muscle atrophies (Is that the right word?). Then, when it comes time to move, it REALLY hurts.... REALLY hurts. I hope she doesn't have to go through that.

So far she hasn't had much pain at all. Having the shoulder stabilized with whatever hardware they have in there has made it less painful.

Oh my, I got chills just reading the story of this amazing rescue. Goodness knows how it must have felt to actually BE there. What a cool headed buch of folks, from all the descriptions. The bike was piloted safely between the obstacles, into the water. The river rescue was done ultra-professionally. ATGATT goes without saying, a very wise move indeed.

My very best wishes are sent for a swift and full recovery for the injured parties. I will read the updates on Caring Bridge.

From me: Family and friends, nothing better in this world.Dave B

PS: As our friend Tyler can attest to.
When I tell the story of what you lovely FJR folks have done for me, people get leaky eyes and I even do still sometimes (in a good way!) at the thought of it. It is indeed an honor to be a part of this community and I am glad to still be around to be able to pay it forward. Colleen and David have an amazing support network here whenever they are ready to tap into it.

Y'all ROCK!! :clapping:

DAMN!

Just found this, so sorry to hear about the crash.....effin forest rats. Sounds like the healing has begun. Sending my JUJU your way.

Will be following on CB

Greg

The whole story is scary. What started out as a fantastic ride on a beautiful morning turned ugly really fast, without warning. As bad as the situation was, everything fit into place and turned an ugly situation into a story of fellowship, appreciation and friendship that ended in urgency, caring, help and love.

Its so great to hear everyone will recuperate and heal to once again enjoy another day.

Many thanks to the real first responders (those of you that were there already on the scene) that kept your cool, did what had to be done and made a bad situation better!!

D

Jesus! I've been off the forum more lately than on, only checking the PNW section for an update. Marcus came by my place today and clued me into the thread! Sorry for being late to the game here guys.

Very relieved to hear the mending is happening and the future looks positive!!

As previously communicated - I'm here if needed in any capacity.

duane

Last edited by a moderator: