Handguns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a good choice for a gun down here. The short barrel is great when the perpetrator reaches to take it from her. When fired it will remove its hand. Also practice, practice, practice.

I bought my wife a 357 mag 4" barrel medium frame, added Pachmayr grips and she loves it. I load it down lighter for plinking, 110 gr bullet, a dash of Bullseye. (according to Speer reloading manual) Great for shooting a 100 rounds without making her hand sore. I also seldom have her shoot at a stationary target. Just throw out a can at about 25 yards and have her chase it around with the shots. If you have a place to do this.

A retired police officer friend of ours just picked up a Walther P99, and likes it, but wishes she didn't get rid of her 357 Smith 4" barrel. Don't remember the model she had.

Bob

One more opinion. I like the S&W airweight for a carry gun. Light weight and with +p loads it is goood enough to solve the problem.

All that being said the best carry gun is the one in your hand should you ever need it. I hope to never be in that position but I still practice alot and fell that I have the right to NOT be a victim.

Since you and your wife will be shooting together I would recommend an .22 rimfire unless you reload your own.

You can shoot a 500 rounds for less than $20, that's not the case with any centerfire. I have a Ruger Mark11 (.22LR) and my wife always prefers to shoot that instead of my .357 or .44.

Once you get good with the .22 then you could move up to a 10mm or similar.

If you are only planning on having only one gun then I like the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact .40 S&W if you can find a used one in your price range.

Here is a good website for searching for guns.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/

I enjoyed reading this thread. I think talking about guns is alot like talking about cruisers or sportbikes, everyone has their own opinion and most are different. I also think that if you do not want to read a thread about guns, then avoid the thread that has gun in the title. If you do not like a thread then stop reading and go somewhere else and let law abiding people talk about guns and when and where they want to carry. I think that if every law abiding citizen was carrying a gun then the MALL Shooters and school shooters would only get one or two rounds off before some law abiding citizen with his H&K stopped the madness.

I carry my government issue H&K every public place I go just because of the wack jobs.

personally I would think the Ruger Bull Barrel 22 mentioned earlier would be the best choice for "plinking".
I'm actually considering getting a Kel-Tek P32 for conceal and carry.

Now, I've been out of this hobby for awhile and realize that a 32 would probably just aggravate a drug crazed idiot but, at close range with the correct placement...wouldn't this be a good self defense pistol? Or would it be better to get the P3AT 380 which is about the same $$? Isn't there some "hot" rounds for each?

I was at first considering a revolver, my last one being a Colt 357 Trooper 6", which I never should have sold, anyway after seeing these new auto's, I beginning change my mind.

If any of you gun pro's out there have any advice I'm listening, I'm wanting something small to carry but still stop some wacko.

I have the P3AT, and it's great here in Texas where SOMETIMES it gets hot and, therefore, not always possible to carry a full size gun. It's not fun to target shoot 'cause it is so small, but I still like it for carry. If you buy used make sure you get the second generation, 'cause the 1st gen had extraction issues. I dont believe the P32 ever had any issues. Also, I don't believe you can use "hot" rounds, because of the spring, but I guess you could change the spring. I just seem to remember reading not to use the higher velocity rounds.

JS

My preference for a personal protection is a 454 Casull. This only in the Original Freedom Arms version. Not Ruger, Taurus, Smith.

My original reason for purchase was, I was living, hiking and working at remote sites all over south east Alaska.

I after moving down to the lesser states had a chance encounter with the Casulls designer, Jack Fulmer.

When I bought the gun I was impressed with its knock down power using the factory loads. After the conversation with Mr. Fulmer I would not buy any other gun. Before the encounter I did purchase others, including a Ruger Super Redhawk in a 454, I have since sold that one. Live and learn.

Reasons are.

1. The 454 Casull can be loaded and shot daily with a C.U.P. Pressure of 110,000. ( average pressures of rifles are around 55,000 C.U.P.s) When I questioned Mr. Fulmer about the reload data from Freedom arms, he said the highest load data is the starting point. Run it up till you start to deform the primer. Then back off a little. Anyone who loads knows what I am talking about.

2. He told me to make sure I have the wooden grips, as the gun was designed to rotate in your hand. He said he was against the guns being sold with Pachmayr grips, because it defeated his design.

I would not try this with any other cheaper brands as they will blow up from the pressures.

I have seen videos of women shooting this gun, but it is too heavy for my wife.

Bob

I have started to carry a S&W 500 magnum with a 4" barrel in a crotch holster as a back up for the mini-gun I like to carry as my primary mode of personal protection. Once the "Metal Storm" becomes more available, I will upgrade to one of those for my primary. I figure a gun that can, at least in theory, fire 1 Million rounds per minute should do the trick.

I have started to carry a S&W 500 magnum with a 4" barrel in a crotch holster as a back up for the mini-gun I like to carry as my primary mode of personal protection. Once the "Metal Storm" becomes more available, I will upgrade to one of those for my primary. I figure a gun that can, at least in theory, fire 1 Million rounds per minute should do the trick.
Isn't the ammo cost gonna be a little spendy wid dat?

My preference for a personal protection is a 454 Casull. This only in the Original Freedom Arms version.
I worked in a machine shop in Utah in the early 80's and we made the cylinders for those among other things, the shop owner had a class III manufacturers license and we got to make and play with a lot of cool stuff. Freedom made some really bitchin' belt buckle .22 deringers but I could never get that cheap bastage Fulmer to give me a discount on one. Their big revolver is nice but IMHO it's severely overweight and over priced. But then I've never bought a handgun with big bears in mind either. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't wish to hijack the thread or get too far off topic here, but if you're going to carry there are a couple of important factors to consider.

1) You've learned to use a weapon to protect yourself, now you need to learn to use yourself to protect your weapon! Remember, if your assailant is close enough to put his hands on you he's close enough to disarm you. This is something that is all too often overlooked.

2) If you carry a gun then carry a knife as well. At hand to hand range a knife is far more efficient and harder to take away without injury.

I would say as a general rule that if your assailant is close enough to grab you pull the knife, and at greater range go for the gun but MAINTAIN YOU DISTANCE.

Wow, that came off really preachy, didn't it? I'd just hate to see anybody here get shot with their own weapon.

Be safe.

Isn't the ammo cost gonna be a little spendy wid dat?
The "Metal Storm" system is electronically fired. There are no cases, and no primers. All I need are the bullets and propellant. Not to mention, whatever it would cost it would be well worth it.

I enjoyed reading this thread. I think talking about guns is alot like talking about cruisers or sportbikes, everyone has their own opinion and most are different. I also think that if you do not want to read a thread about guns, then avoid the thread that has gun in the title. If you do not like a thread then stop reading and go somewhere else and let law abiding people talk about guns and when and where they want to carry. I think that if every law abiding citizen was carrying a gun then the MALL Shooters and school shooters would only get one or two rounds off before some law abiding citizen with his H&K stopped the madness.I carry my government issue H&K every public place I go just because of the wack jobs.
AStar

If this was directed at my post there was no intention to offend, but of course I would not ask a question of such controversy on a hunting or gun forum as I wouldn't get any reasonable responses, where as here I genuinely believe we are a bunch of reasonable, sensible and intelligent individually who are not opposed to dealing sensible questions.

Sorry I'm hijacking the thread.

Thanks for your tolerance guys and gals..

Go the .22 semi, no recoil, cheap to use, big mag, can plink all day without a sore hand.

Since you want a plinking gun you'd be foolish to not get a .22 LR semi-auto, sounds perfect for your uses . . . .I like my Ruger .22LR for plinkin'.

It's A LOT like motorcycles. There is one gun for all occassions, but there's so many that offer so much fun.

S&W .22na for plinkin with red dot, G23 is incredibly fun to shoot with great action but surprisingly loud, Dan Wesson .44 CTG has been a riot w/ 44Mags. or 44 special rounds. Maybe .380 or .22 considering da wifey? Walther is a great .380....

I just ordered a Magnum Research BFR in 45/70. Should be a blast with reasonable loads. I have a Marlin lever gun chambered for the same thing so it will fit right in. :)

I just ordered a Magnum Research BFR in 45/70. Should be a blast with reasonable loads. I have a Marlin lever gun chambered for the same thing so it will fit right in. :)
Good God! I'd get that thing ported if I was you :lol:

Just don't let any skinny little girls shoot it Link.

Good God! I'd get that thing ported if I was you :lol:

Just don't let any skinny little girls shoot it Link.

The 45/70 isn't a real high pressure cartridge like a 44 mag or 454 casul and the gun weighs a little better than 4lbs so recoil isn't supposed to be a real problem.

I went to an event called Deasert Blast in 99 and one of the featured events was Jiggle Fest. It was topless women with machine guns. That was fun!!!!

This is what I got my wife for Christmas:
smith_642ls.jpg

Smith & Wesson model 642-2 5 shot .38+P, light as a feather. She loves it and was most grateful :wub:

I was going to get her a nice Beretta semi auto shotgun but that would have been too obvious that it was really for me :lol:
That's the same one I bought the wife a while back. Changed the grip. That thing is louder than I thought it would be.