HID Self Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Were there instruction with the hi/lo kits you fellows received? Any cut'n and splce'n required for the Hi/Lo kit install?

Thanks,

John

Were there instruction with the hi/lo kits you fellows received? Any cut'n and splce'n required for the Hi/Lo kit install?Thanks,

John
1. Yes

2. No

Not from experience but it's covered earlier in this thread.

I put in my order on thursday and got an e-mail asking if I wanted to "upgrade" to a higher color from the 4300k. The e-mail said that if I didn't put an additional $8 in 48 hours he would ship the 4300k.

I e-mailed back and said no-thanks, I want the 4300k. Sounds like it may be a backorder issue as stated above.

The extra couple of days don't matter to me. It will take me at least that long to get the bike back from the shop after the "venison" incident. :D

Well, I'm almost certain that I won't have time to install them before I get SPANKED, but mine are on order now.

I sure am poor now. And I can't even begin to get onto the Wilbers bandwagon.

Yep, got the dreaded upgrade request this AM. Emailed back that I did NOT want the "upgrade" and to please ship ASAP. I also told him that I didn't think ANYONE on this forum would want the upgrade to a higher K light.

I would suggest that anyone who is about to order these most excellent priced upgrades tell the vendor right off the bat whether OR NOT you are interested in any other K value than 4300. I realize that this could be a delay tactic, or an overstock issue, and probably a minor one at that. But I want what I ordered, and I want it asap. Perhaps WC should edit his self buy post and mention that if you want the "upgrade" it is available, otherwise make note on your "order" that you are NOT interested in any other color?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most of his orders are people changing to blue lights just for looks so thats what he is used to.
Agreed. I was on the phone with another forum member. That person was told via email that the 4300's are in stock and shipping immediately.

Now what we are trying to find out is whether or not we can get a SINGLE setup for a Cycl-ops bike. I might want an HID for my dual sport. I was going to buy a pair of low beams and just use them separately, but might be better to just buy one. That would probably out last my ownership of the bike anyway.

I'm Catfish from FarkleMasters.com.If anybody here is interested in PHID's at a reduced cost contact me OFF LIST @ Catfish "at" FarkleMasters "dot" com

If I get enough interest I'd consider setting up another group buy.

Thanks.

Catfish
Any one else contact Catfish on this?

Any one else contact Catfish on this?
I did......but have not heard nary a boo on the matter! Looks like their last group price was $675?? Not enough interest....perhaps??

Last group buy price was $599 plus shipping. Same as the first group buy price from a different vendor.

Catfish can be a little slow. Hang in there.

Got mine today! :dance: :thumbup:

I won't have a chance to install before the end of the month :(

Hopefully Catfish will do a group buy on the PHID's soon and I can do it all at once.

Mine showed today too!! :D :D

But no-one was home so I have to wait until tomorrow to get it. :cry:

+1 on Catfish!

Got my packages with everything as promised.

I had a pair of PIAA 1000 XT lamps that use an H3 bulb that were used and acquired from another project. I installed the HID H3 replacement kit in one and did a bench test last night. WOW. The original 55W H3 was pretty bright and threw a nice beam looking out the garage at the neighborhood trees. The HID lamp in the other housing just blows it away. No comparision. I think those will work pretty good considering the (minimal) cost of the PIAA lamps and using the HID upgade. The beam is still very well focused with the HID in the PIAA 1000 housing with a tiny bit of halo lighting around the perimeter of the beam that isn't really noticeable with the H3 bulb. The difference in the beams is almost comical, though, comparing the HID to the H3. Hope to get the H4 setup in this weekend into the headlight housings and check it out.

The only thing that I am wrestling with at the moment is the leads to the H3 bulb for the HID. The pigtails are about 6 inches long from the bulb which leaves the two connectors outside the bike's fairing. They are not long enought to make it from the lamp to the fairing without running out of pigtail length. Not enough room to stuff all the pigtail and the connectors inside the PIAA 1000 lamp housing and use the harness from the fairing to the lamp. I really do NOT want to try and splice the high voltage leads to the bulb, either. Not a show stopper, just hate to have the connectors to the lamp exposed.

My packages came via the USPS in case anyone is watching for theirs. I expected the FedEx delivery but they were at the post office so keep an eye out.

...Not a show stopper, just hate to have the connectors to the lamp exposed.
So solder the wire ends together, then grease 'em up with dielectric goo and put some heat shrink tubing over them. Better than ever.

Yea, I can always solder them together but that leaves no easy way of removing the lamps if needed. Besides, the kit comes with the nice, sealed connectors (shown in the pictures earlier) at the end of the pigtails for the bulb so I hate to cut them off to make a solder joint instead. As a last resort I will possibly but was just thinking out loud about alternatives if anyone had done something differently retrofitting the HIDs into some other enclosure.

Anyone have any success tracking their shipment? Jestal said his came USPS, which is cool by me. Unfortunately, I haven't had any success tracking the "Fedex" tracking number on the invoice. Looks like Fedex isn't the carrier, and perhaps this international number can't be tracked at our end? That sux. I'm sure my set will be here tomorrow or the next day, but I like to track shipments for fun. Guess I'll just have to wait. Bummer.

My paypal xfer finally registered today. I ordered the H3 in 4300K and noted (no upgrade to a different color temp desired) to avoid the time involved in being asked and declining.

I look forward to upgrading my existing PIAA 910's. The pig tails won't be an issue, since I can house the OEM pigtail from the bulb in the 910 housing and run my own leads back into the fairing through the path already there for the standard install (FJR Goodies brackets).

Anyone have any success tracking their shipment? Jestal said his came USPS, which is cool by me. Unfortunately, I haven't had any success tracking the "Fedex" tracking number on the invoice. Looks like Fedex isn't the carrier, and perhaps this international number can't be tracked at our end? That sux. I'm sure my set will be here tomorrow or the next day, but I like to track shipments for fun. Guess I'll just have to wait. Bummer.
Mine was FedEx and I was able to track it. You have to look around on the FedEx site to find where to Int Packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.