HID Self Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 10 edit: As it turns out, this capsule does NOT physically relocate to achieve the proper focal point high-beam application. The "Low-Beam Only" is awesome, but the Hi/Lo Kit is not recommended.

Perhaps I am full of caca.
Perhaps. But I do think you're exaggerating a bit with your description (not that you are prone to exaggerating, of course.... ;) ) If I thought the high-beams were *that* bad, I'd say so. I did mention the high-beam in this kit wasn't near the same order of magnitude increase over stock the way the low-beam HID is over low-beam stock. But they are far from "sucking", unless of course your high-beam aim is really dorked up.

Try this: put the bike on the centerstand, walk out about 30-40 feet away in front of the bike, and see if your high beams look like my HID high-beams here:

HeadOn_HiBeam.jpg

If yours HID hi-beam isn't the Night Sun shown in this photo, then I gotta suspect something is amiss with your setup in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warchild I hate to tell you, but these lights are a waste of money. They are by no means any better than a good set of halogens, and I can buy 10 sets for the money. The beam, well.....

[SIZE=21pt] I LIED!!!! These babies are BRIGHT!!!!!![/SIZE]

:yahoo: :thumbup: :yahoo: :thumbup:

Edit: this comment was on LOW beams in my garage. Highs don't kick so much ass.

If you want to see my side by side comparison of a Halogen H4 to an HID capsule, go to my webpage and check out a few of my garage pics. I took the left H4 Halogen Silver Star out and installed just the left HID. See the results, just in my garage:

https://www.docthrock.com/FJR1300.shtml#HID

[SIZE=21pt] I LIED!!!! These babies are BRIGHT!!!!!![/SIZE]
:yahoo:   :thumbup:  :yahoo:   :thumbup:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, I just noticed the "View Count" on this thread..... I've never seen *any* thread start to approach 10,000 views.... :bigeyes:

I zip tied the wires and went for a ride around my neighborhood. I covered one light then the other. Low beams, no question that they are very bright. One light seems brighter than both halogens. On high beams, the improvement isn't quite so impressive, and may be marginal as already stated by others. I can see where some may think they aren't as good as halogens on high, but I think they are better. Yes, perhaps I just WANT them to be better. But the color is different and what you see is different. But as Warchild and others have shown, they do light up the sides and the treetops, at least to the tops of telephone poles way out ahead. I think the side beam pattern is no different that with the halogen and restricted by the lens.

Two thumbs up from me on the single "bulb" side by side comparison, in the garage, and out on a single light side by side comparison. Hopefully over the weekend I can get with another FJR owner and test both bulbs in a bike to bike comparison. I think the big question here is the high beam comparison. I don't think there will be any question about the low beam improvement.

I just ordered the BiXenon's today and already have my FedEx tracking number. A little winter weekend project coming up! Thanks again WC - for all that you do.
From HK to Regina in3 days! FedEx dropped them off on Monday at my house. Had stuff spread all over my living room last night, along with all of Warchild's excellent pictures and instructions. Like the man says looks like it will just be a case of taking my time :D

You know, I just noticed the "View Count" on this thread..... I've never seen *any* thread start to approach 10,000 views....  :bigeyes:
Come on baby, GO. Keep checking out this thread. Almost 9400 views!

Anyone actually still buying the HID's? Haven't heard anyone post up that they ordered them lately.

Anyone actually still buying the HID's? Haven't heard anyone post up that they ordered them lately.
I’m more curious about the install base. So far it sounds like Warchild, you and I are the only ones who have installed them.

Well, I'm only half way hallf-ass installed. :D I'll probably put the other capsule in tonight and try to get the wires out da way for more "testing".

Anyone else started the install? Any new orders? What's happenin' out there?

Well, I'm only half way hallf-ass installed. :D I'll probably put the other capsule in tonight and try to get the wires out da way for more "testing".
:lol:

OK, so we have 2.5 lights for our install base so far... Anyone want to make it 3.5?

I have placed an order, should arrive today and install will happen next weekend. With all these hits someone is really interested in these things.

Did some research other forums before I bought the HID for the FJR through the "Self Buy". Below are some prices from a group buy in progress. These are from a sponsoring vendor as well, and do not include a price for the Bi-Xenon which retails for $499.00. What a DEAL, once again thanks to WC. :D

McCulloch Motorcycle Kits:

5000K= $162

6000K=$170

8000K=$177

10000K=$184

12000K=$192

Philips Motorcycle Kits:

4300K=$232

6000K=$252

McCulloch Car Kits:

5000k= $270

6000k= $285

8000k= $300

10000k= $320

12000K= $330

Philips

4300k= $360

6000k=$415

I’m more curious about the install base. So far it sounds like Warchild, you and I are the only ones who have installed them.
i'm on the very verge of ordering....

i'm just feeling REAL uncomfortable with the emerging trend of disapointment with the high beams...

i had the PHID's on my now dead '05, and am feeling i'd rather eat dog food for a month to afford to buy PHID's for my 'on order' '06...

dana

i'm just feeling REAL uncomfortable with the emerging trend of disapointment with the high beams...
I felt the same way about my stock high beams when I got the bike. Then I aimed the lights down so the low beams don't point into the back windows of cars in front of me and the high beams were markedly improved. I think they have a tendency to move the beam up a lot in comparison to the low beams. Of course, the HID conversion should act just the same, given the design and all.

I felt the same way about my stock high beams when I got the bike. Then I aimed the lights down so the low beams don't point into the back windows of cars in front of me and the high beams were markedly improved. I think they have a tendency to move the beam up a lot in comparison to the low beams. Of course, the HID conversion should act just the same, given the design and all.
I hear ya on that TC. It took me a long time and a lot of trial and error before I got results I was satisfied with. Now, the lows are slightly lower than where I would like them, but the high beams are perfect and no longer trying to find UFOs.

The biggest problem I found and still have somewhat is the difference in headlight aim from my normal every day commute mode sans bags and "stuff", to full out rally warrior mode with fuel cell, hard bags stuffed and all other associated "stuff". Now the Wilbers helped signifcantly, but the rear end still sags a little more when loaded even with pre-load dialed up. So the lights go higher. I am more concerned about my trips or rallies when traveling in the middle of the night in all kinds of conditions, so I have my headlight aim optimized for those conditions.

I knew I had a big problem after an incident about a year ago when enroute to WFO-3. I was blasting down I-40 in northern Arizona fully loaded and before all my discoveries mentioned above. As much as I wanted the high beam on, especially since I was going about 90 mph, it was just not putting light where I would have liked it, and even worse, with high beams on every time I would pass one of those big reflective green info signs that are on the side of the interstate, I would be blinded by all the light refelcted. So low beams it was.

Then (at 90mph on low beam) I came upon a big-assed f'ing forrest rat, or perhaps even an elk, that was just standing there staddling the two lanes of the interstate. First, I soiled my shorts. Then I jammed on my brakes. The nose dove, and since I was on low beams, the sharp cut-off of light dove too, AND NOW I COULD NOT EVEN SEE THE F'ING KILLER BAMBI!!!! I didn't know what way it was going, or what way I should go. Well, it came into view again as I got reallllly close. Luckily, it casually walked left, and I was heading right.

Well, after that little experience, I spent considerably more time and effort into getting the lights adjusted properly.

Live and learn. Live and learn.

...Then I jammed on my brakes. The nose dove, and since I was on low beams, the sharp cut-off of light dove too, AND NOW I COULD NOT EVEN SEE THE F'ING KILLER BAMBI!!!! ...
That is freaking hilarious!!

Glad you weren't hurt, though!

-BD

Well, I'm only half way hallf-ass installed.  :D   I'll probably put the other capsule in tonight and try to get the wires out da way for more "testing".
:lol:

OK, so we have 2.5 lights for our install base so far... Anyone want to make it 3.5?
Well, I've got the kit, but not the bike :cry:

It's still at the shop from the bambidamage. However, all parts are in, and I should pick it up saturday w/ the new Avons on. :D

The problem is I think that I am going to have to get my riding fix before I can begin to take it apart to install the lights! I spose the best excuse is to get a good comparison on the lights before and after. I'll try to be patient enough to get pix & post em.

Ok, here we go again.... I think this is important. All kidding aside.

This is subjective. This is just my opinion, and YMMV (but I don't think it will).

The low beams are very cool. Light is different from halogen with the HIDs and very bright. Sweet. No one has flashed me yet. And I do have both HID capsules installed.

My HID high beams do have a problem, and many may find it significant if they get this HID setup. Perhaps this is part of the potential discrepancy that was stated by Vecter and Scooter, but I can't be sure.

Here's what I see and think:

The low beams have a distinct cut off line at the top of the beam. This must be engineered in to not blind the traffic ahead. It works very well, however this is achieved.

When you turn on the high beams, they light up fairly significantly above that low beam cut off line. HOWEVER, the high beam does not light up the low beam cut off line al the way from side to side!

Therefore, there is a DEAD ZONE of light with the high beams engauged. This DEAD ZONE goes all the way from side to side and ends up being at the horizon or thereaboouts. It's not tremendously tall, but it could be described as significant, and there is quite a wide " dark shadow". If it wasn't right at the horizon, it might not be an issue, but I think it will be for many folks.

Perhaps this is what Scooter and Vecter were seeing, and why they had issues HID's over halogens, but I'm not sure. I hope they will comment. My halogens certainly didn't have a dead zone on high beams, but these HID's do. And it seems to be right at where you need the light the most.

OK, that's enough confirmation for me....

I'll go back in this thread and NOT recommend the Hi-beam/Lo-beam kit.

Damn shame, as the low-beam application still kicks massive ass, but since these particular HID capsule do not re-locate the "filament" portion rearward to the proper focal point for high-beams, it's doesn't sound like it's going to do the job for high-beam.

Damn shame, as the low-beam application still kicks massive ass.......
Yes it does.

Believe me, I really wanted the high beam to be at least equal to stock, cause the improvement with the low beams is several orders of magnitude.

I mean, just incredible! Exceeded my expectations and blew me away.

OK, that's enough confirmation for me....
I'll go back in this thread and NOT recommend the Hi-beam/Lo-beam kit.

Damn shame, as the low-beam application still kicks massive ass, but since these particular HID capsule do not re-locate the "filament" portion rearward to the proper focal point for high-beams, it's doesn't sound like it's going to do the job for high-beam.
I agree with you, the low beam application is great even on the hi/low kit. These lights are something else. I mean it really is hard to explain the amount of light the low beam produces. You really have to see it for yourself. I think that for an LD rider with aux lights to use as high beams, they should seriously look at HID bulbs for the lows.

I think the butterfly system has two major issues. The first on is the fact that its not moving the light source to the optimal location of the reflector. The second problem I see it with it is the fact that because the mechanism is so large and bulky (relatively speaking) it reflects some light, and blocks other light. I think this is why I can see a slight yellow tinge in my high beam. I'm not sure if there is any way of modifying this system to work better, but I may try. There are some 10,000k bulbs on ebay every once in a while for $99 that I may purchase and slaughter in an attempt to be smarter than the engineers who came up with this setup in the first place.

Even with this issue, I still want to say how absolutely awesome it is to have more light emitted in the low beam portion. Not to mention the power savings! Thanks for hooking me up with a killer deal on my lights!

I went out and raised the beams by twisting the star wheels. I raised the right more than the left. I got the dead zones from each of the HID capsules to separate into two thinner lines that aren't completely dark. It helped a bit, but the high beams still don't have enough punch to blot out the dead zones completely.

Next step: Hack the capsule. I wonder if repositioning the capsule in the prism might not improve the beam. These lights could actually stand LESS lo and MORE hi. So perhaps moving the light source back (or forward) in the lens might improve things? I don't know.

The lights are cooling from the test ride. I'm going to pull one out and see if it looks like they can be ajusted at all. I'm not getting my hopes up. But I'm wondering if putting a shim in front of the tri pronged mounting plate might change the characteristics of where the light is thrown? Sounds good to me. Worth a try. I can make a shim for that.

Think I'll put welding goggles on for the testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.