IBA In State Rides

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Everytime I think I’m close to completing all the Iron Butt rides that I want to do, I find more. I just retired and have been yearning to ride more 2 lane roads. When I first began riding long distance, I completed the iconic ride called the “Rat Gold” Ride Around Texas. Then the Lap of Florida came out, so naturally I did that ride also.
Fast forward to just a couple of months ago when I had a discussion I had with a verifier (and friend) about upcoming rides, I said I was nearly done. He then questioned why I hadn’t caught onto a popular trend to do in state rides. I shrugged it off and said I want to get off interstates and start riding some back roads.
About 2 weeks ago, I rode to Iowa to visit family. I decided to attempt the “Ride Around Iowa” Despite the very worst timing possible, I had a great ride. With my bad timing however, I ended up riding the Iowa side of the Mississippi River Road from 10 pm till sunrise. 9 near deer strikes, a near turkey strike and an actual possum hit were the downsides… oh and a settings change on my GPS to make sure I stayed within the state lines that had me riding gravel in the middle of nowhere at 2 am.
Now I’ve got the desire to do all the in state ride arounds!
I think there are currently 35 or so available. I rode around Georgia last week and found that they can be a real challenge with speed zones, traffic lights…
So my focus will be on those rides for the rest of the year. If you haven’t tried them, I’d encourage you to at least ride your home state or one nearby.

I just did the Ride Around PA in May over Memorial Weekend. I had a friend from another forum interested in trying his first Saddlesore who asked for my help and if I'd like to ride along. We mutually agreed on the "ride around" as one we both found interesting. There are a couple little problem areas where a GPS will try to get you to cross into neighboring states and you need to watch for that. Timing on it was one of the more difficult things as we wanted to cross the northern part of PA on PA Route 6 which is a very scenic road passing through a bunch of small towns but more importantly a road with heavy deer population. If you decide to try PA let me know and I'll gladly share the .gpx file with you. Photo from our last stop.

P5240001-X2.jpg