(In)Tech day IV Rescheduled May 20, 21 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Kiddies. (In)Tech day IV is a week from Saturday. Here is a short list of who and what:

PJ4683 - valves and forks

RFlagg42- ?

FJRPittsburgh - valves
Trevor - Maybe
Burnspot - Observe/assist
Frushlorton - Taxi
Rayzerman - Guru (Are you going to make it?)
Luvtoride - Starter(possibly)

Anybody wants to ship anything to the house feel free. Just let me know it's coming

Who am I missing?

Yamafitter and I intending to arrive Friday afternoon as the Canadian Invasion Forces scout the south........ we'll need a spot to put our beverages of choice. We are not intending to transport tools, but if there is a special one let us know. We'll be holed up at the Motel 6, S. Fredericksburg.

Updated list:

RFlagg42- ?

FJRPittsburgh - valves
Trevor - Maybe
Frushlorton - Taxi
Yamafitter - Rye Guy
becoyote - Observer

Yamafitter and I intending to arrive Friday afternoon as the Canadian Invasion Forces scout the south........ we'll need a spot to put our beverages of choice. We are not intending to transport tools, but if there is a special one let us know. We'll be holed up at the Motel 6, S. Fredericksburg.
Awesome! I have a refrigerator in the garage and plenty of cooler space for icing.

I should have all the tools needed. I posted a request for the outer dimension of the damping rod for making the cartridge removal tool. I haven't welded the socket to the tubing I have yet.

Updated list:

RFlagg42- ?

FJRPittsburgh - valves
Trevor - Maybe
Frushlorton - Taxi
Rayzerman - Guru
Yamafitter - Rye Guy
becoyote - Observer
Blind Squirrel - BMW

Last edited by a moderator:
The damping rod on an FJR is about .390" (actually the ID of the spacer tube), and the OD of the spacer tube is .470"......... the 1/2" drive on your socket will clear......... use 1/2" ID tube or bigger.

Damn it! This tech day is shaping up nicely. I wish I could turn back time. My schedule made me cancel my trip up there. Because of that, I got my forks and stem bearings done by a local shop. (Outstanding price for Outstanding work, by the way) Now! The reason I had to cancel has been canceled! **** Me!! I just can't catch a break. Intech, put me down for your next one. I've got my baby running like a Swiss watch right now but, I never got the opportunity to see my forks getting overhauled. I'll be happy as hell see and help some ones forks getting done. :D

OK Kiddies. (In)Tech day IV is a week from Saturday. Here is a short list of who and what:

RFlagg42- ?

FJRPittsburgh - valves
Trevor - Maybe
Frushlorton - Taxi

Anybody wants to ship anything to the house feel free. Just let me know it's coming

Who am I missing?
I'm still planning on being there. Need valve check/service and front fork service.

Damn it! This tech day is shaping up nicely. I wish I could turn back time. My schedule made me cancel my trip up there. Because of that, I got my forks and stem bearings done by a local shop. (Outstanding price for Outstanding work, by the way) Now! The reason I had to cancel has been canceled! **** Me!! I just can't catch a break. Intech, put me down for your next one. I've got my baby running like a Swiss watch right now but, I never got the opportunity to see my forks getting overhauled. I'll be happy as hell see and help some ones forks getting done.
biggrin.png
Vic,

That doesn't mean you can't come up to socialize and lend a hand where needed!

I'm in. I would like to do a valve check and fork service/overhaul. I've never been to a tech day and not sure what's required. What's your suggestion regarding the needed parts for these particular services? I figure fork oil, seals etc should be purchased prior to showing up but not sure about the valves...
You will need to buy all the parts and fluid and bring them with you. You will need coolant pipe o-rings, valve cover gasket and oil pump cover gasket. Do you have the blue dot CCT? If not get one of those. For the forks you need oil, upper and lower slides(Only 2 on the genl) and oil seals they come as a kit. Also bring some cheap transmission fluid. It is good for flushing.

I have a shim kit, so if you need to adjust any valves I will provide it. You just have to replace it afterwards. Keep in mind that the bike needs to be completely cold to perform the check. You should plan on arriving early or dropping the bike off the night before.
I have my parts list ready to go but had a couple questions first:

1. You listed an oil pump cover gasket but in the Oil Pump diagram on Partzilla, it doesn't list a gasket. I looked at the service manual and don't see one either. Am I missing it?
  2. On the forks, you listed "slides". Before I fork (pun intended) out $30 for the slides, the service manual doesn't reference these in the servicing. Do they typically need to be replaced? Partzilla shows upper (5,28) and lower (3,26). I assume the "5" would be one upper side and "28" would be the other and same with the lower "3" for one side and "26" for the other?
Forks_zpsmkdkot6l.jpg

The slides are as you say, two of each part number. 50 is the seal kit, or you can buy individual seals at greater expense. 2 litres of fork oil, we won't use it all. I usually use a spray brake cleaner to wash out the forks. Don't worry about the oil cover gasket, I'll bring a spare. We'll re-use your valve cover gasket. You need two o-rings 9310-18417-00 and one larger one 93210-23787-00 for the coolant pipe on a Gen 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
The slides are as you say, two of each part number. 50 is the seal kit, or you can buy individual seals at greater expense. 2 litres of fork oil, we won't use it all. I usually use a spray brake cleaner to wash out the forks. Don't worry about the oil cover gasket, I'll bring a spare. We'll re-use your valve cover gasket. You need two o-rings 9310-18417-00 and one larger one 93210-23787-00 for the coolant pipe on a Gen 1.
Thanks, those o-ring numbers match to the ones I'm ordering. I also confirmed with FMS about the sliders. Bob mentioned the CCT, does it need to be done at the same time? If so, I'll have to get it ordered too.

Damn it! This tech day is shaping up nicely. I wish I could turn back time. My schedule made me cancel my trip up there. Because of that, I got my forks and stem bearings done by a local shop. (Outstanding price for Outstanding work, by the way) Now! The reason I had to cancel has been canceled! **** Me!! I just can't catch a break. Intech, put me down for your next one. I've got my baby running like a Swiss watch right now but, I never got the opportunity to see my forks getting overhauled. I'll be happy as hell see and help some ones forks getting done. :D
Vic,

That doesn't mean you can't come up to socialize and lend a hand where needed!
I wish! But, other things have been scheduled in that time slot. I'll catch the next one. By then my forks might need to get done again.