Is the paint worth 200.00?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrrrr

Reaction score
Just bought a new 2010 FJR and I'm wanting to purchase the rear trunk. Liquid Silver trunks are 699 retail and the cheapest I found was 559 plus shipping from Ron Ayers here in NC. However the Cerulean Silver trunks are readily available (as well as other earlier colors) for 399! So this poses 2 questions? Is the color for Cerulean Silver that much different from Liquid Silver (would it look like ass on the bike?) Is it worth the price difference to get a matching trunk. Heck I could just get a black trunk and I dont think it would look all that bad and save a bunch of dough. What does everyone think? AND yes I know there are aftermarket available, but I have this thing for putting factory stuff on my bikes. Thanks.

Well I'm an ass man so I'd probably like it. :lol:

It would stand out as nothing on the bike shares that color, but IIRC I spent 50 bucks and had the paint shop mix me up a pint and painted the Black Cherry I bought from NM Rider here.

I'd look around for a used unit. Bet you can save a couple hundred that way.

I can understand the "logic" of keeping your add-ons "factory", but as far as the trunk goes, the Yamaha trunk has a few negatives going for it...

It's butt-ugly when compared to a Givi or Shad case and it won't hold two full-size helmets. That's enough for many to re-consider the factory trunk over aftermarket. Also, most aftermarket trunk solutions offer MUCH better attachment to the bike than the factory trunk does.

I'm with Howie on this one. I got a E-52 GIVI for my ST1100 and was happy with it over other offerings. One note on color, I got a red color matched GIVI for my ST1100 and ended up selling it with the bike as it didn't match my FJR. If I'd gotten a black one (as I now have) it wouldn't have been out the extra expense of getting a new trunk as black goes with everything.

Gunny what Howie said. I like OEM stuff too, but where a trunk for this bike is concerned, I think Givi is the way to go. Better bag all around.

If you really have your heart set on an OEM trunk, PM Gerauld and find out what it'll cost to paint it. Get a used one, whatever color you can find and then send it to him...You wont be disappointed.

The one great thing the stock trunk has going for it is the use of the bike key. I have the Givi 46 and the Corbin Smuggler and I have to say the two extra keys can be a pain in the butt.

I have the factory topbox on my 07. I'd gladly trade having a single key for a larger trunk, and while having it color matched is also nice, I would also be happy to trade that feature away too, for more room inside.

I see you've been around quite a while, but don't post much, fjrrrr (be ye a pirate?) So I don't know if you know, but Garauld IS the forum color guru. Might help you weigh the thought of doing a low-cost paint job yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Howie on this one. I got a E-52 GIVI for my ST1100 and was happy with it over other offerings. One note on color, I got a red color matched GIVI for my ST1100 and ended up selling it with the bike as it didn't match my FJR. If I'd gotten a black one (as I now have) it wouldn't have been out the extra expense of getting a new trunk as black goes with everything.
+1 I have the same Givi E52 I had on my ST1100 after I got hit on the ST1100 I transfered the E52 to the FJR It's matt black, and I don't mind having to use another key, I can have the bike warming up and still open the box, I have a smuggler and I just toss the keys in when I'm ready to take off. The new E55 has an option that will open the lid with a wireless fob.

The one great thing the stock trunk has going for it is the use of the bike key. I have the Givi 46 and the Corbin Smuggler and I have to say the two extra keys can be a pain in the butt.
Then keep them on a chain.....don't store them in your butt!!

Jeebus....the things we have to whine about with this damn motorcycle!!

seal6-full.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you've been around quite a while, but don't post much, fjrrrr (be ye a pirate?) So I don't know if you know, but Garauld IS the forum color guru. Might help you weigh the thought of doing a low-cost paint job yourself.
No pirate here. And yes I need to post more........I was in Iraq for two years up until last summer. And I was off the FJR and on a Goldwing for a couple of years, SO there's my excuse! :ph34r:

Garauld replied quickly to my request and quoted a great price to paint a box for me. Still not sure which way to go, lot's of good info to think about from other replies.

Well...... :unsure: After listening to all the Traveling Mangina Cream Salesmen Speak, Here's what I think. The Factory Top Case is Perfect!

It's Lines are Perfect for the Bike. It's the Perfect Size. Any Bigger than that will lead to Carrying More Crap that you don't Need! :rolleyes:

Please give the Boys and Girls at Yamaha Credit for Making the Trunk look like it's Part of this Gorgeous Bike! :yahoo: Just My Opinion and I'll take my Leave Now! :D

You can always eskimo it and get a used/crashed side case and strap it onto the rear of the bike. I have done it several times and always had enough room for my cheap whiskey.

Just remember that you need a rear rack to strap a side case on. Just sayin'.