Ist Annual Western Canadian Regional Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we get drawn for 3 Flags, FJRGuy and myself will be haulin' ass back from Mexico to make it to this thing... how much Tequila do you want us to bring? :dribble:

Griff

*IF* I have enough paid time off

*IF* I have the $$

I'm pencilling this trip in...I need to use my shiny new passport for something. and this something is shaping up to be more interesting than the last 5 FJR things combined...

Where is this gonna be based???
R
Barb's house!?!?!?!?!? :yahoo:

Er....she's working on a hotel, Richard. The rest of us are waiting patiently (well...sort of patiently.).

As for Tyler, we have several months to talk her into it. Even if she cages it will be good for her.
It's under consideration. ;)
Does this mean I can plan to NOT bring the Tyler doll and her cute little convertible?

Instead we might get to experience the real doll, Tyler?

Oh my! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
If we get drawn for 3 Flags, FJRGuy and myself will be haulin' ass back from Mexico to make it to this thing... how much Tequila do you want us to bring? :dribble:

Griff
LOTS!

Ok... I'll find space on the bike for a case of contraba ...er, um ... 'fully declared and COMPLETELY legal booze'. Yeah, that's it! ;)

Maybe I should just fit a dummy aux fuel cell and fill it before I leave Mexico? :dribble:

Kinda makes that enormous rear luggage bin that FJRGuy is designing look even more useful ... <_<

Griff

Mark your calendars, as dates are about all I have to publish at this point.
Maps of rides, and some fun routes here and back again will be forthcoming soon.

Registration will be in the new year, once accomodations have been negotiated.
yes I'll try to get that week off we met at the cfr rally in 09. I have friends on the island and would be up for it add me to the list terry

Planning a KILLER 13 day riding/sightseeing adventure/vacation around this WCRR. Got the preliminary MapSource routes done, am happy with general routes and riding time/distances, and am setting about fine tuning them with lodging to be reserved, etc.

This FJR leaves Auburn, CA around dawn on the morning of Tuesday (9/7), and arrives back late afternoon on Sunday (9/19). Planned as a 2 up adventure, one or more bikes is what's required (+ passport, time off and money for gas, food and lodging). The planned route to the coast on Tues. (9/7) is via Marysville to Redding, then 299 to Arcata and 101 north. The coastal route north is on 101 from Arcata, CA to Port Angeles, WA, where we board the ferry and go through customs for entry to Victoria Island.

Planned overnights going to WCRR are on 101 (with approx. length of that day's ride):

Tues. (9/07) -- Crescent City, CA (365 miles)

Wed. (9/08) -- Warrenton, OR (363 miles)

Thurs. (341 miles*), Fri. and Sat. nights (9/09, 10 & 11) lodging location TBD on Victoria Island

Planned overnights after WCRR:

Sun. (9/12) -- Kamloops, BC (282 miles*)

Mon. (9/13) -- Jasper, AB (311 miles)

Tues. (9/14) -- Waterton Lakes NP, AB (397 miles)

Wed. (9/15) -- Seeley Lake, MT (256 miles)

Thurs. (9/16) -- Lolo Hot Spgs., MT (317 miles)

Fri. (9/17) -- McCall, ID (230 miles)

Sat. (9/18) -- Lakeview, OR (401 miles)

Sun. (9/19) -- Auburn, CA (home) (400 miles)

Tentative and becoming more permanent as time and fantasizing permits -- currently just shy of 3,700 miles plus whatever riding gets done on Victoria Island. Designed primarily to OD on spectacular scenery and A++ motorcycle roads. Begins with Pacific coast and later scores spectacular mountain scenic, including Icefields Parkway, Waterton Lakes NP, Glacier NP and Lassen NP. Also includes a tracing in reverse of the historic Nez Perce route between battlefields -- from Big Hole, MT to White Bird, ID (on 9/16 & 17).

If any of the usual suspects wanna ride some or all of this, please e-mail me. Insights, warnings (e.g., traffic, weather and/or tourism issues) and suggestions (e.g., recommended lodging, restaurants and/or places along the way that must be ridden or seen) are also appreciated from anyone who knows 'bout such things.

* [SIZE=8pt]mileages to and from Victoria Island use Nanaimo's Horseshoe Bay Ferry departure as a terminus, pending Barb's specification of WCRR lodging site[/SIZE]

Planning a KILLER 13 day riding/sightseeing adventure/vacation around this WCRR.
Planned overnights after the WCRR meet:

Sun. -- Kamloops, BC

Mon. -- Jasper, AB

Tues. -- Waterton Lakes NP, AB

Wed. -- Seeley Lake, MT

Thurs. -- Lolo Hot Spgs., MT

Fri. -- McCall, ID

Sat. -- Lakeview, OR

Sun. -- Auburn, CA (home)
Now THAT is an impressive itinerary! :clapping:

I was at a few of those places last year...and they were incredible places to ride. :yahoo:

Very impressive, exskibum! However, you had better run your schedule past Niehart for his approval! I did not see one single designated pie stop on your route!

Mom's Cafe in Sooke - best pie anywhere (IMO). It will on one of the "suggested" rides.

MomsCafe.jpg

Mom's Diner in Sooke - best pie anywhere (IMO). It will on one of the "suggested" rides.
Cable Cookhouse in Sayward, BC. It'll be on the route to the DH that goes to Pt. Alice

All pies home made....

Gawd, I think I need to go for a drive tomorrow....*LOL*

a weekend of pie and tequila

now, that sounds like fun.

are we there yet?

Hey, Mr. Skibum!

We have this event on our calendar as well, and depending on timing, we might be able to hook up for part of that itinerary.

Love BC riding! I think Mr. Niehart needs to do some advance scouting for blueberry pie.

are we there yet?
barb, is this going to be a "Rolling Rally" or will it be in a fixed location and we ride out from there? I'm borrowing a motorcycle from my Seattle buddy Niehart and I was wondering what day I should fly in on. September 10 is a Friday and if the Rally begins in Victoria, that is an easy day ride from Woodinville, WA; Dave's place.

But, if we should be starting out in Port Hardy and riding southerly, I'll fly in on Wednesday night to SEA-TAC, so we have 2 riding days up to top of Vancouver Island.

are we there yet?
barb, is this going to be a "Rolling Rally" or will it be in a fixed location and we ride out from there? I'm borrowing a motorcycle from my Seattle buddy Niehart and I was wondering what day I should fly in on. September 10 is a Friday and if the Rally begins in Victoria, that is an easy day ride from Woodinville, WA; Dave's place.

But, if we should be starting out in Port Hardy and riding southerly, I'll fly in on Wednesday night to SEA-TAC, so we have 2 riding days up to top of Vancouver Island.
If it had been a handful of bikes? (Ya Niehart, keep laffin' ;) ) it would have been a rolling or progressive ride, but with the amt of folks who have shown an interest, it makes more sense to be a fixed location rally. I am looking at a few places in the Nanaimo/Parksville area that will allow for many choices for day rides and still be close to the ferries for people who need to get back to reality in a timely manner when the fun is done.

I am also thinking this needs to be a day longer if people are planning to come from a goodly distance. I was thinking of Thurs-Sunday, or Friday-Monday; whatever works better for folks.

You may want to spend some extra time with Niehart coming or going from the Island, as I can think of a 1/2 dozen approaches you boys could do that would be just as fun as the rally itself.

I'll be posting the rides in a week or so, as well as some ideas for fun ways to get here or head home again. With luck, El Cajone and I will have some accomodation news soon too. He's a tough guy to get a date with....sheesh.

Hope this help Don.

are we there yet?

If it had been a handful of bikes? (Ya Niehart, keep laffin' ;) ) it would have been a rolling or progressive ride, but with the amt of folks who have shown an interest, it makes more sense to be a fixed location rally. I am looking at a few places in the Nanaimo/Parksville area that will allow for many choices for day rides and still be close to the ferries for people who need to get back to reality in a timely manner when the fun is done.

I am also thinking this needs to be a day longer if people are planning to come from a goodly distance. I was thinking of Thurs-Sunday, or Friday-Monday; whatever works better for folks.

You may want to spend some extra time with Niehart coming or going from the Island, as I can think of a 1/2 dozen approaches you boys could do that would be just as fun as the rally itself.

I'll be posting the rides in a week or so, as well as some ideas for fun ways to get here or head home again. With luck, El Cajone and I will have some accomodation news soon too. He's a tough guy to get a date with....sheesh.

Hope this help Don.
Thank you, barb! My 2 cents: 1) Nanaimo/Parksville as a base camp would be perfect. 2) Please consider Thursday-Sunday, since SW-FOG starts the next Thursday!

Barb, my two cents tells me I hope you do the Thurs-Sunday time fram, as when I check the sailing times out of Port Hardy they are on odd number days.

If we are done on the 12th I sail on Monday then spend the night in Prince Rupert and on to Hyder Tuesday. Not that hanging out on the Island a extra would be all that bad, but I need to watch the pocket book some what!