Ist Annual Western Canadian Regional Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barb, my two cents tells me I hope you do the Thurs-Sunday as when I check the sailing times out of Port Hardy and they are on odd number days.If we are done on the 12th I sail on Monday then spend the night in Prince Rupert and on to Hyder Tuesday.
Great minds think alike, Panman! After I'd posted, went to https://www.bcferries.com and it's just as you stated; one can go to W. CA Regional and then off to Hyder!

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 cents: 1) Nanaimo/Parksville as a base camp would be perfect. 2) Please consider Thursday-Sunday, since SW-FOG starts the next Thursday!
+1 except -- please insert the following sentence in place of the stricken out text from Don's reply:

I've already planned and mapped a 13 day ride in MapSource up through OR and WA (leaving here Tues. morning* and arriving on Victoria Island Thursday afternoon) and then home through BC, AB, MT, ID and OR (leaving the island Sunday morning and arriving back home the following Sunday night).

My immediate next step is reserving rooms in lodging I've already mostly identified. I suppose it doesn't matter that much if everyone else is there Fri through Sun nights, but Thurs. thru Sat nights is when I'll be there.

Thanks for all your efforts on this, Barb. I KNOW it ain't easy. :clapping:

* BTW, Tuesday (9/7) is the day after Labor Day (the end of a 3 day weekend) in the US.

Barb, my two cents tells me I hope you do the Thurs-Sunday time fram, as when I check the sailing times out of Port Hardy they are on odd number days.If we are done on the 12th I sail on Monday then spend the night in Prince Rupert and on to Hyder Tuesday. Not that hanging out on the Island a extra would be all that bad, but I need to watch the pocket book some what!
You can always spend a night at our place on the way to Pt. Hardy. Nothing fancy, but you'd be more than welcome.

:)

I am leaning towards Thurs-Sunday myself, so unless some compelling reasons pop up in the next lil bit, that'll be what it is

Just an FYI for those coming from points south...

There are no car/ vehicle ferries direct from Seattle to Vancouver Island. The Hydrofoil Ferry is foot traffic only. You will need to get to either:

a. Port Angeles and docking in the heart of downtown Victoria and a really nice way to arrive.

b. Anacortes and docking in Sidney just north of Victoria. You will need to ride south about 20 miles before you go north on the Island Highway. Or to miss the traffic in Victoria, from Sidney ride SW across the Saanich Penninsula to Brentwood Bay and take the very small ferry across to Mill Bay then north on the Island Hwy. Or for even more ferries, from Sidney ride north a few clicks to Swartz Bay and take the Fulford Harbour Ferry to Saltspring Island and enjoy some GIZ (Gulf Island Zen). Ride NW across the island to Vesuvius and take the ferry to Crofton, a few clicks south of Nanaimo.

I (we) will be doing the PA ferry and it is a 2 hour crossing. The 2010 schedule indicates between 06-17 and 09-26 that there will be 3 sailing per day: 8:20am, 12:45pm, 5:15pm. Coming from SoCal, we plan to zip up the I-5 and get to PA on the late afternoon of day two so perhaps the 5:15 and stay that night in Victoria. If we miss it, we'll stay in PA and go over on day three. Once in Victoria, you are looking at about 1 1/2 - 2 hours to Naniamo or 3 1/2 - 4 hours to Campbell River.

a weekend of pie and tequila
now, that sounds like fun.

are we there yet?
barb, is this going to be a "Rolling Rally" or will it be in a fixed location and we ride out from there? I'm borrowing a motorcycle from my Seattle buddy Niehart and I was wondering what day I should fly in on. September 10 is a Friday and if the Rally begins in Victoria, that is an easy day ride from Woodinville, WA; Dave's place.

But, if we should be starting out in Port Hardy and riding southerly, I'll fly in on Wednesday night to SEA-TAC, so we have 2 riding days up to top of Vancouver Island.

You can always spend a night at our place on the way to Pt. Hardy. Nothing fancy, but you'd be more than welcome.

:)

That would be a offer to hard to pass Barb. But a I do have at least one friend that is considering riding up with me and doing the Hyder up to Watson Lake ride with me. He is a wee-strom rider at that, but a good friend and after the trip I have routed out he'll understand the word and world of FJR and hopeful still be my friend!

And if I stayed anywhere other than with one of my with wife's family!!!!! (Mr. Stanley could you put that great mind of yours to work and give me some of that south of the boarder verbiage please).

So generous Barb, Thanks.

Fastest routes to the island are either Vancouver/Nanaimo at 1 hr 35 min sailing time, or Vancouver/Sidney(Victoria) at about the same duration ( it's the most scenic ferry crossing, Active Pass is amazing).

For peeps doing the Olympic Penn, there is, as noted above, the Port Angeles/Victoria ferry.

From Vic to the area we are targeting accomodation is about 2 hours, from Nanaimo? about 20-30 minutes.

If anyone wants to come all the way to my house in CR? Vic to my front door 2 1/2 hrs, Nanaimo to doorbell = 1 1/2 (although I have done it in an just under an hour on the FJR. Yes, I am a bad, bad girl.......*L*)

My 2 cents: 1) Nanaimo/Parksville as a base camp would be perfect. 2) Please consider Thursday-Sunday, since SW-FOG starts the next Thursday!
+1 except -- please insert the following sentence in place of the stricken out text from Don's reply:

<snippage>

Thanks for all your efforts on this, Barb. I KNOW it ain't easy. :clapping:

* BTW, Tuesday (9/7) is the day after Labor Day (the end of a 3 day weekend) in the U.S.
I'm with Rich!

Literally....I'm probably riding up with he and Judy..... :yahoo:

[SIZE=8pt]I know some of you who have a more...er...uhm...twisted mind are ready to respond about a menage a' trois on an FJR. Shame on you for thinking of Judy like that! I'll be riding my own FJR...thank yew very much.[/SIZE]

Crap... anybody have a teleporter to get me from Pto. Penesco, Mexico to Nanaimo in 2 days? :(
Are you kidding? Sit there, twist that. It's only a couple of thosand miles. Easy money. Call it 36 hours of riding if you milk it.

Crap... anybody have a teleporter to get me from Pto. Penesco, Mexico to Nanaimo in 2 days? :(
Shit, Jeff. I'm looking at your avatar after reading that plea and it sure looks like you're sitting on one in that pic. ;)

Edit to add: HA! OC beat me to it! :p

Shit, Jeff. I'm looking at your avatar after reading that plea and it sure looks like you're sitting on one in that pic. ;)

Geez mate... its ONLY 1800 miles... and we'll be riding ICBMs... how hard can it be? <_<

We have to make it... we're bringing the tequila.

Griff

Geez mate... its ONLY 1800 miles... and we'll be riding ICBMs... how hard can it be? <_<

We have to make it... we're bringing the tequila.

Griff
Geez Griff, you keep that boy in line will ya?

I am counting on that tequila ;)

Party at barb's!! :clapping:
This is shaping up to be some fun times...C'mon Mark, It's about time you made the trip to the west coast. I think I'll probably either hit Anacortes or do an Olympic sweep and hop PA. Decisions, decisions...

--G
Hurricane Ridge? Lake Crescent? yeehaw

My wallet and vacation time constraints have been talking to me, and I may switch from trying SWFOG to this shindig, to save on both counts. I'll try to get some time off. I may try to hook in with exskibum and MM2 as they drive by on the coast, if they'll let me. I'd love to have time to go up Hurricane Ridge again -- just gorgeous on a clear day. Camping at Crescent Lake was wonderful too.

My wallet and vacation time constraints have been talking to me, and I may switch from trying SWFOG to this shindig, to save on both counts. I'll try to get some time off. I may try to hook in with exskibum and MM2 as they drive by on the coast, if they'll let me.
You may want to amend that statement after you actually MEET us at WFO. :blink:

I'm jes' sayin'...... :huh:

My wallet and vacation time constraints have been talking to me, and I may switch from trying SWFOG to this shindig, to save on both counts. I'll try to get some time off. I may try to hook in with exskibum and MM2 as they drive by on the coast, if they'll let me.
You may want to amend that statement after you actually MEET us at WFO. :blink:

I'm jes' sayin'...... :huh:

There's that :rolleyes:

I might add DITTO :unsure: