Just Mounted a 190/55/17

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big is escapefjrtist's? He's the one that wanted to know...
...and why is this relevant? That's what I want to know...
George is the master plugger so why do you ask???

I would think it has something to do with the speedometer and how accurate it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
...you're pretty demanding aren't ya!
coolsmiley02.gif

I would think it has something to do with the speedometer and how accurate it is.
'zactly...larger tire provides about a 1.7% [effective] correction to the speedo.

--G

coolsmiley02.gif

'zactly...larger tire provides about a 1.7% [effective] correction to the speedo.

--G
How much "incorrection" occurs from full tread to "SkooterG bald"

Fairlaner,

Let me know if your ABS light comes on under heavy acceleration like started on my 2007 after I mounted a 190/55/17 last fall? That red light never came on in 50K miles, but has come on about once a month since. It appears when I stop at an intersection, then pull out, going to the right or left, and accelerating hard. Does not happen when I do the same at a normal moderate acceleration. And I think it does not happen when under heavy accelerate from a stop going straight ahead, but I am not sure.

If you want to know why I am accelerating hard? I am trying to burn the rubber of this tire because I have a new BT023 GT waiting to be installed. The 190/55/17 is an original Road Pilot that was given to me by my son.

One more thing, I can't say I notice difference with the larger tire versus the OEM size. But I am not attempting to be a pro canyon carver. I do like the fact that my speedo and odo are almost dead on with the 190/55/17.

Slardy

coolsmiley02.gif

I would think it has something to do with the speedometer and howaccurate it is.

--G
How much "incorrection" occurs from full tread to "SkooterG bald"
Rhetorical question, yes?? Simple math my friend...and since we're in the same profession I know you have the mad skilz to figger it out!
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

Any old sportbike riders will notice the immediate effect, but if you find that the FJR doesn't steer quick enough you can always drop the front forks a bit in the trees...this gives the same advantage as raising the rear and it really doesn't take much...

Any old sportbike riders will notice the immediate effect, but if you find that the FJR doesn't steer quick enough you can always drop the front forks a bit in the trees...this gives the same advantage as raising the rear and it really doesn't take much...
That would be "...raise the front forks a bit..."

Dropping the forks, as opposed to dropping the triple tree, would slow down the steering response.

Yes, sorry for the reversal in explination...good catch RadioHowie..
rolleyes.gif
That would be raise the forks or drop the tree, guess it just depends on how you want to describe it. Either way you do it, just make sure to mark your baseline so if you don't like what you did you can un-do it.

That would be "...raise the front forks a bit..."

Dropping the forks, as opposed to dropping the triple tree, would slow down the steering response.
Dropping the forks...and making them really long would be chopperizing them, right Howie?

Words do have meaning.

raising the forks loses cornering clearance-raising the rear gains it..

raising the forks loses cornering clearance-raising the rear gains it..
zingo!!