Let's go to Arkansas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those meeting in Plano, I just might have to stop by with FrankenFeejer to see you guys off, since thats about when I'll be riding up to Mckinney on my way to work (weather permitting)

fjrnzn0.jpg

I've done Arkansas several times, and will do it again sometime soon, but right now I'm in mad scientist mode.... :moil:

Last edited by a moderator:
@FJR1300, RonBB, GalaxyBlue--- So do we have any defined routes for the trip to Russellville? If so, could you PM or email them to me, as I would like to get them programmed into my GPS unit. If there's no defined routes and we are just deciding as we go.. then that's fine too.
Sorry guys, I've been too busy to get to anyone this week. I did talk to GalaxyBlue last night, but we didn't talk about routes. I'm open to a few side trips, but I will have already worked half a day by the time I leave at 9:15... I get up every morning at 3:15. So I will be a little tired and won't be able to do an eight hour day on the bike. My suggestion is to get down to Russellville via Route 7. It doesn't have a lot of sharp turns, rather some nice sweeping curves. Also, if we get down there by around 4:00... we can have a light dinner and then those that want to take a quick evening ride can hit the roads around Russellville.

Again, please note, all of these routes are simply suggestions based on personal favorites. Anyone can meet up in Russellville via their own routes. Once in Russellville, personal routes are also encouraged as well as "riding your own ride". As one of the pseudo-organizers I feel it incumbent to mention that AR roads are tricky and can be technical. There are lots of decreasing radius turns, accurately-marked curve speeds after a series of under-posted curve speeds (good luck guessing which is which), quick elevation drops right when you need max traction, gravel, cow shit, tractors, Maw and Paw and any number of other things right out of sight that makes out-riding your site distance very risky. Even those familiar with a specific road can be surprised by something unexpected right around the curve.

Of the routes I'm working up, I hope to have hard copies of each for those interested riders without Garmin GPSs. For those with Mapsource software, PM me and I'll send you the png file to upload. I encourage everyone working out routes to do the same. This isn't a formal rally with fixed routes, this is a potpouri ride-to-ride event.

I'll restate my plan to drop out of any group that I don't feel comfortable with. I take "ride your own ride" seriously and one thing that throws me off is people jockying for position any place other than a track. If someone wants to pass me, I'll be glad to pull to the fog line as soon as I can and wave them around (this lets you past without the need to cross a double-yellow). I have always appreciated those who have done the same for me.

I know I may be sounding preachy, but I already have as much titanium in me as I care to have. With practice and good fortune, I can avoid any extra. I don't want anyone pissed at me for dropping out if I think I ought to. I ain't your Dad, but I don't want to end up being your mechanic, EMT, or mortician either.

HEY! Check out the radar loop!!

Tim,

There are several hotels within a couple of miles of the meeting place along the access road.

To the south, roughly between 15th St and Parker Rd there is Super8, La Quinta, Ramada, and Motel6.

To the north, roughly between Bethany and Allen Dr is Hilton Garden Inn, Amerihost Inn, and Holiday Inn Express.

They all seem to have food within walking distance. I've never stayed at any of them. The ones to the north are slightly newer (that area is still growing). The ones to the north will get you out of the on-ramp construction currently going on to the south.

EricR

EricR, thanks for the recommendations. I'll try to find something near Legacy Drive and I75. I'm starting the packing process TONIGHT. Slimming down by pitching stuff I don't need. If the meeting location plans change, I'll be watching this space.....

Can you tell I'm looking forward to this?? :)

My suggestion is to get down to Russellville via Route 7. It doesn't have a lot of sharp turns, rather some nice sweeping curves. Also, if we get down there by around 4:00... we can have a light dinner and then those that want to take a quick evening ride can hit the roads around Russellville.
I assume that is highway 65 to 7 & then down. Sounds like a plan to me. Now to tie down the meeting points for folks we pickup along the way.

I had a PM that I need to clarify. My previous post was because I confused FJR1300's post with the folks coming up from the DFW area. He is riding in with a group from a different direction. I was my misunderstanding that created the confusion. I have edited the last post to remove and correct those misunderstandings.

I am still planning to use the original route up to Russellville. It will include Skyline Dr. Different routes up and back are planned so that Skyline Dr. can be done both times and in both directions (w to e and then e to w).

My suggestion is to get down to Russellville via Route 7. It doesn't have a lot of sharp turns, rather some nice sweeping curves. Also, if we get down there by around 4:00... we can have a light dinner and then those that want to take a quick evening ride can hit the roads around Russellville.
I assume that is highway 65 to 7 & then down. Sounds like a plan to me. Now to tie down the meeting points for folks we pickup along the way.
If i may suggest, I think 125 down to Lead Hill, Then to Harrison and hwy 7 would be the best choice...

If i may suggest, I think 125 down to Lead Hill, Then to Harrison and hwy 7 would be the best choice...
@GalaxyBlue--- I'm game for about anything... 125 does look to be more fun though than 65. I'll send you PM with my email address and phone number. I have RonBB's and FJR1300's email address. Maybe with some email correspondence between all of us we can settle on a route and meeting locations.
@RonBB--- I'll reply to your PM you sent me with my email address and phone number as well.

That is what I was thinking...

I was planning on coming down 65 from Sedalia with RonBB. We'll stop in Warsaw and pickup Beardo and then we meet you in Springfield. Depending on where we meet you, we can either take YY or D over to 125... or I'm sure you know other ways to pickup 125

OK, in an attempt to sum up:

Leaving Sedalia about 9:15 am on Thursday (5th).

was planning on coming down 65 from Sedalia with RonBB. We'll stop in Warsaw and pickup Beardo and then we meet you in Springfield. Depending on where we meet you, we can either take YY or D over to 125... or I'm sure you know other ways to pickup 125
Depending on where we meet you, we can either take YY or D over to 125... or I'm sure you know other ways to pickup 125
125 down to Lead Hill, Then to Harrison and hwy 7 would be the best choice
Is the gas station in Warsaw at the NW corner of 65 & 7 highways acceptable to meet Beardo at?

So where & when do we meet in the Springfield area?

So if we could also tie down the routing in Springfield from the meeting point to 125 we should have the route, meeting locations & times tied down. May I suggest channel 2 if any others have CB's? If not I will monitor channel 19. It sounds like the plan is coming together. Ron

A tech session over at FJRChik's house netted her a nice, new Universal Vista Cruise with custom installation. The photo shows the UVC, grip puppy, and a throttle boss.

u-lock01.jpg

Here's her chic blue '06 with The Wrecking Crew in a standard line up in the background.

u-lock05.jpg

The rains came pouring down on the trip over there but not long after getting everything set up and ready to operate, the weather cleared, the sun came out, and we had excellent wrenching weather!

Two weeks to AR!

A tech session over at FJRChik's house netted her a nice, new Universal Vista Cruise with custom installation. The photo shows the UVC, grip puppy, and a throttle boss.
Can an Audiovox Cruise Control be far behind? :)

I believe this is the first pic I've seen of a Universal VC being installed instead of the regular one, but it looks like it went on real clean. Kudos to the Wrecking Crew.

Can an Audiovox Cruise Control be far behind? :)

I believe this is the first pic I've seen of a Universal VC being installed instead of the regular one, but it looks like it went on real clean. Kudos to the Wrecking Crew.
i hope an audiovox is in my near future (on the list)! but this looks good and should serve it's purpose well. bounce did a great job and we had a nice time hangin out today. will prolly get out tomorrow and get it tighened up appropriately. thanks again bounce!

u-lock01.jpg

Here's her chic blue '06 with The Wrecking Crew in a standard line up in the background.

u-lock05.jpg

The rains came pouring down on the trip over there but not long after getting everything set up and ready to operate, the weather cleared, the sun came out, and we had excellent wrenching weather!

Two weeks to AR!

Looks great.

What made y'all go with the universal instead of the other one?

How much did you have to trim the grips?

Did you have to trim the grip puppies?

I couldn't tell, did you have bar ends?

How long did the install take?

I know, I should have been there.

FJRayJ

Ray

What made y'all go with the universal instead of the other one?
It's what the shop had in stock

How much did you have to trim the grips?
None. the UVC slides over the OEM grip and the locking part rests on the grip, toward the far inside just at the flare.

Did you have to trim the grip puppies?
We didn't because it left the GP overlaying the bar end just a bit. this give M the chance to see if she wants to keep the whole area of the GP or trim it back just a bit to expose more of the bar end (after she tries it a while this way).

I couldn't tell, did you have bar ends?
Yes. OEMs.

How long did the install take?
Far too long. It was a first attempt and the instructions, while detailed, were a little lacking in how to orient the cross member and when/if to use the spacer(s). Set up, chattings, photos, clean up, etc. took less time than test fitting, moving the various brake, control, and grip pods around, more test fitting, more moving, etc. We really did the measure (at least) 3 times and cut once bit. I think the installation of the other style would be faster because the design is simpler. But after doing this one, I'm less convinced that one is functionally better than the other It's more of a personal taste/availability issue. What matters is M's satisfaction with how it works in real life.

I know, I should have been there.
We missed ya!

Nice Install.

Noticed your J & M CB FJRChik & it reminded me that we hadn't picked a CB channel or a chatterbox channel to monitor while in Arkansas. Your choice. Ron

With impending server hosting changes on the board, I didn't want any unforseen problems in this move to impinge on our Arkansas plans, so I've PM'd fjrchik with my cell phone number so the DFW area riders who will meet Friday morning Oct. 6th can contact me if necessary. I'd hate for the board to go down for several days and not have a way to contact at least someone who's heading to Russellville. Maybe I can get fjrchik's or Bounce's cell number to me by PM or e-mail? I ride slow, but even with that, I'd hate to be left behind!