Let's go to Arkansas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't wait for this month to be over! As far as riding preferences, sounds like you've got pretty much what I had in mind Bounce.

Can't wait for this month to be over! As far as riding preferences, sounds like you've got pretty much what I had in mind Bounce.
Marcos,

I just read your blog... pretty good stuff. You going to wear the white power-ranger suit? I picked up my blue one on Friday... and I understand the "looks" from non-riders.

leather.jpg

Yours is a Fieldsheer also... correct? Do you like it?

:unsure: Everything sounds great so far as far as possible routes, meeting for informal meals and gab sessions and breaking down into like minded groups, fast, medium and slow riders.
Now here's the question from someone who hasn't ridden with a group at all: How do you know your "placement" in such a large group?
That question naturally comes up every time a new set of folks get together for a ride. On previous outings, we handled it by dividing ourselves up into fast, medium, and slow groups as we stood there in the parking lot. (Some people just 'know' where they belong because they're so extreme.) Then we took off, fast group first, then medium, and finally the slower group, but we all did the same route on that first ride. That way, at anytime along the route, if someone felt held back or hurried by the others, they could adjust by changing groups. It pretty quickly becomes obvious where everyone should be.

We're all here to have fun, meet other FJR owners, and enjoy each other's company with maybe a photo or two to be used as incriminating evidence?
When it is all said and done, we all want to have a great time. I would also surmise that everyone wants to go home with fond memories and NO MISS-HAPS, due to oblivious cagers or the testosterone filled one upmanship factor present in some two wheel gatherings.

Scott
Exactly. I hope this won't be a race or a competition. Above all, everyone needs to ride their own ride, at their own pace. Don't get sucked into riding the speed or the line of the rider in front of you. As you said, we all want to have fun, but above that we all want to go back home in one piece. That's my $0.02 :)

This is Hwy 1, runs west from Mena, AR into OK towards Talihina. The DFW riders are gonna hit this on the way to Russellville on Friday afternoon. If the rest of you have time, I hear it's highly recommended.
But on nice weekends, you need to plug in about 2 dozen leaf peepers running at sub-posted mph limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now here's the question from someone who hasn't ridden with a group at all: How do you know your "placement" in such a large group?

That question naturally comes up every time a new set of folks get together for a ride. On previous outings, we handled it by dividing ourselves up into fast, medium, and slow groups as we stood there in the parking lot. (Some people just 'know' where they belong because they're so extreme.) Then we took off, fast group first, then medium, and finally the slower group, but we all did the same route on that first ride. That way, at anytime along the route, if someone felt held back or hurried by the others, they could adjust by changing groups. It pretty quickly becomes obvious where everyone should be.
Exactly. I hope this won't be a race or a competition. Above all, everyone needs to ride their own ride, at their own pace. Don't get sucked into riding the speed or the line of the rider in front of you. As you said, we all want to have fun, but above that we all want to go back home in one piece. That's my $0.02 :)
My recommendation would be that people not jockey for position within any given group (we aren't racing). At stops along the way, people can swap leads/mids/tails or move between groups. There are times, where the road allows, when one rider might move to the fog line and wave another rider around him. This is different than aggressive passing to "play"/etc.

RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE (don't feel pressured to push yourself into risks you don't like - everyone will respect you and wait for you at the next turn)

If dropping out of a group or moving to another group, take the time to tell someone. Otherwise you'll come up short when we do head counts and we'll revert into search & Rescue mode. This is critical to these kinds of rides but if the group finds you just wanted to take a different road (or a picture or a piss) and didn't bother to let someone else know, they'll tend to be a little aggravated with the lack of respect shown.

If you're already in the slowest group or, for any reason (ie: in a group of the right pace but which you think is acting like a bunch of nimrods, etc.) you can pull out of the group (wave your intentions to another rider, or use you comm if you have any). Let them know you are dropping back, ahead, going back to the hotel, etc. and that you're otherwise okay. If you give the word, the group will continue riding on and everyone should respect you for your choice to ride your own ride.

in group rides on twisty roads, formations aren't recommended. use your whole lane as needed (crossing the center line is a hint that you're pushing too hard). single file. keep the rider in front and the rider in back within sight but always allow plenty of space for you and them in case something happens. if you can't see the rider behind you, slow until you can. each rider at a turn waits for the next rider in the group to appear so (s)he can see which way the rest of the group is going. each rider in the group then is taking turns waiting for the next rider so that everyone can see which way the group went. the last rider in the group is designated "sweep" and should stop as needed for lost/broken down/etc. riders in the group that those in front might not have seen drop back. of course anyone else who sees a stopped rider should also stop to render aid (not just the sweep).

most of this is going into painful detail for someone who has never group ridden. it's easier to do than to explain. the basics are:

ride your own ride

feel free to leave the group if your comfort zone isn't there

keep others informed of any changed plans

never outride your sight line - these are public roads with ma and pa poking along and unknowns around each curve

leave your ego at home

QUOTE(dbx @ Sep 9 2006, 11:27 PM)

QUOTE(fjrchik @ Sep 9 2006, 10:56 PM)
i was just wondering tonight if we want to do a group supper somewhere on saturday night? or keep it less formal than that and figure it out when we get there? maybe go out to eat in smaller groups so we don't need reservations and it maybe cheaper. we can all be together back the hotel for tire kicking and adult beverage consumption time after supper.

I vote for an informal group dinner on Saturday night, figuring it out when we get there, like maybe a steak house. I think we'll be able to find a place that can handle the group.

If we do decide to split into two groups and one group is the sushi group, then I'm in the other group.

I'm with you, DBX.
I guess I'm like DBX, having said that I seem to remember something I read somewhere about a football game or something. Is this a college town? Was that here? This is also a Saturday night. If someone knows the area well & there is a steakhouse close to the motel then that would seem to be ideal if we could get our own area within the restaurant. If so perhaps a reservation would be in order. If not we take what we can get. Heck, I'm just happy to be going riding. Ron

PS Bounce very nice writeup on group riding

Thanks. Like I told someone who PM'd me, I see this as a casual "ride to ride" gathering; less formally organized and without designated "leaders". There are some people who have taken the lead on getting things rolling (big thanks to M for putting the fire under us).

The rest is just a personal concern that we let the Hoons be Hoons on other rides and keep our body count to ZERO. In keeping with the last "rule" (leaving the egos at home), I'll respect anyone's decision that even these loose guidelines are too formal and I'm too conservative for their riding style. In turn, that respect should be returned and someone who wants to ride 8, 9, or 10/10ths this weekend should take it "elsewhere" so their level of risk is their's alone and doesn't spill over onto others.

If you take out a bus load of nuns, don't include other SCFO Riders in the process. :)

And always remember the golden rule:

If stopped by a road side tax collector, you are "enjoying a weekend of riding - ALONE!" Don't implicate others. Take your lumps and don't try to rat out others to save your own hide!

I must say I like the idea of small groups of similar riders. I also very much agree with the concept of each rider using the entire lane in the curves & outback (except at stop lights, etc). I also feel that using the entire lane is a very good reason to increase the distance between the bikes from the 2 seconds to perhaps 3-4. Speaking only for myself, I really don't make a good duckling. Although it is only a theory I'm thinking that FJR riders are generally a little less likely to ride in the more organized regimented style. We shall see. I am really looking forward to this informal type of ride/rides. From this Forum this is sounding like a very good group. I very sincerely am looking forward to meeting all. Ron

:rolleyes: Thanks Bounce for the words of wisdom and common sense for all of us FJR riders going on this little excursion.

Scott

Marcos,

I just read your blog... pretty good stuff. You going to wear the white power-ranger suit? I picked up my blue one on Friday... and I understand the "looks" from non-riders.

leather.jpg

Yours is a Fieldsheer also... correct? Do you like it?
Yep it's a Fieldsheer. I hadn't planned on taking the white power ranger suit, but I think I'm going to do a track day a few weeks after SCFO. So now I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a few more break-in miles on the suit. So if I can pack, I think I might take it.

Radman, Queen of the prom! I am honored that you would even remeber such a lowly subject. I took a most agreeable route back. Five days through Nevada, southern Utah, northen New Mexico and finally, across Texas. Senic Byway 12 in southern Utah was incredible! Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef and Monument valley. Should have been there. Edwin

Ok, Old thread...but I'm riding to Las Vegas in a couple of weeks and am really tired of the slabs...ben to Cali from Ohio 2x this year on slab...except for a quick detout thru Zion with my kid...but we were in a cage...

would you mind posting your route or some suggestions?

Thanks

Mary

Radman, Queen of the prom! I am honored that you would even remeber such a lowly subject. I took a most agreeable route back. Five days through Nevada, southern Utah, northen New Mexico and finally, across Texas. Senic Byway 12 in southern Utah was incredible! Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef and Monument valley. Should have been there. Edwin

Ok, Old thread...but I'm riding to Las Vegas in a couple of weeks and am really tired of the slabs...ben to Cali from Ohio 2x this year on slab...except for a quick detout thru Zion with my kid...but we were in a cage...

would you mind posting your route or some suggestions?

Thanks

Mary
but start a different thread instead of hijacking this one.

thanks.

So, I have a rider coming up from Round Rock who is wanting to meet up with us as we pass through Paris on Friday. Is a route through Paris okay with those who will be leaving from Grapevine on Friday morning?

So, I have a rider coming up from Round Rock who is wanting to meet up with us as we pass through Paris on Friday. Is a route through Paris okay with those who will be leaving from Grapevine on Friday morning?
:blink: I think the French require a visa if you want to visit Paris :lol:

...Bounce, I do believe you are the de facto navigator and ranking officer on this excursion and being an enlisted non-com, I defer to your vastly greater experience and knowledge of the roads.

Sounds good to me! Lead, and we shall follow?

:good:

Paris is fine with me.

I found this Arkansas Parks Dept Motorcycle site on the web.

https://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/Motorcycling/

It has a brochure you can download with a page with maps.

FJRayJ

My wife may shoot me for going to Paris without her, but as far as I'm concerned everything between leaving the metroplex and coming back is fair game.