Let's talk, Shell Rotella T

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bought Yamalube two stroke oil for outboard motors in a 55 gallon drum already. I would guess that you could buy the 4 stroke oil in whatever container you wanted.
I guess my dealer doesn't stock it in that size. Good to know though.

That is one fantastic video. I've been to most of the coastal villages in Alaska including Point Hope. The film was very accurate representing the actual lifestyles of the natives then and now. Things are a bit better now but their lifestyles are similar to what was presented. I'll keep the video as its very educational.

Bill

That is one fantastic video. I've been to most of the coastal villages in Alaska including Point Hope. The film was very accurate representing the actual lifestyles of the natives then and now. Things are a bit better now but their lifestyles are similar to what was presented. I'll keep the video as its very educational.Bill
You convinced me to watch. Thanks.

Sure makes me wonder, what makes humans want to live in such a hostile environment? And I often think (like right now in February) that the winters in NH are too long and cruel? Pshaa!

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot even come up with one sarcastic comment about that video. That makes me feel like a complete sissy when I think it might be too cold to ride my motorcycle. And to think that a few pieces of raw caribou meat would be enough to make a wife happy, wow.

I actually prefer Mobil 1's 5 quart containers. I don't have to open two of them to do one oil change.
This has probably been asked a million times of you sir... and I did try all manner of searching.. and don't want to help beat the dead oil horse any more, (but im gonna anyway, even though this has been idle for a month...sorry)

What oil did you use to get "The Dirty Old Whore" to 226,000 miles?

... I want that oil....period

I just wish every oil was offered in the 1 gallon jugs, c'mon Yamalube!
I actually prefer Mobil 1's 5 quart containers. I don't have to open two of them to do one oil change.
YUUUUP! $25 at Wallmart.

I was using the Mobil1 Extended Performance (15,000mile $27/5qt) for my 1200-SkiDoo this past winter as heavily suggested on one of my ski forums. Liked it so much that I'm now trying it in the FJR as well (I know it's 30wt.). For me, this will cover me the whole riding season (won't push the 15K however).

0007192414979_500X500.jpg

...and the 5qt jug? ...so easy that I could have my g/f change it nude while I watched her with a big-ole petroleum boner!

Well on page 7-15 of 013 owners manual. Notice- In order to prevent clutch slipage, do not mix any chemical additives. Do not use oils with a diesel specification of "CD" (Rotella?) or oils of a higher quality than specified. In addition, do not use oils labeled "Energy Conserving II" or higher.

Jim

Rotella now meets motorcycle specs. JM I think it is.I have enough stockpiled to last me 3 or 4 years.
It is JASO MA rating you're thinking of.

Bikemiser, where do you get this avoid CD oils? You wanna give oil threads a bad name or sumpin'?

Bikemiser, where do you get this avoid CD oils? You wanna give oil threads a bad name or sumpin'?

page7-152013ownersmanual.jpg

So the 2013 owners manual says not to use oils rated API Service Class CD. Big deal... that is an obsolete service class and you would be hard pressed to find any such oils for sale anywhere.

Rotella T Triple (15W40) and Rotella T6 (5W40 synthetic) are both API Service Class CJ-4 and SM.

CJ-4 rating is a current diesel rating. That rating really doesn't apply to its use in a gasoline fueled motorcycle, but doesn't exclude its use either.

The API Service Class SM rating is a gasoline engine rating, which does apply to a motorcycle.

Both versions of Rotella are also meet JASO MA requirement, which is a measure of how the oil will behave when used in a wet clutch.

Executive version is, you can still use RotellaT, even on a 2013 FJR1300 in warranty.

Gaaaawdamn!I'm hangin' on every one of these posts. This is some riveting shit up in here.

Let's calm down and keep it pure though, ...okay boys?

All we need is for the "Dick-Up Posse" to come along and pollute this motherfucker.

MCRIDER007 (SHOUT it out!), you keep an eye on the back door.

……….I'll watch the escalator.
Too late Mick!!!! They've got the Mexican riled up..
pinch.gif

This has probably been asked a million times of you sir... and I did try all manner of searching.. and don't want to help beat the dead oil horse any more, (but im gonna anyway, even though this has been idle for a month...sorry)

What oil did you use to get "The Dirty Old Whore" to 226,000 miles?

... I want that oil....period
Well, frankly I don't think it matters all that much if you use any kind of quality oil.

But on the 226k mile FJR, mostly (80-90% or so) the Rotella conventional 15W-40. I did use the synthetic Rotella 5W-40 for a short time early in its life until Jestal convinced me that synthetic oil in the FJR was a waste of benjamins. And a few times I used the Rotella equivalents - the Movil Delvac 15W-40 and the Delo 15W-40 when it was cheaper at Walmart.

Since the Rotella 15W-40 has gone up so much in price I now use the Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic. Yeah, I know. I don't know why. Even though the Mobil 1 is more, the price increase of the Rotella pissed me off. And I read something not too long ago that showed that the Mobil 1 15W-50 was one of the higher in ZDDP additives for anti-wear protection. Or at least it was a couple of years ago????

I agree, that regular oil changes, with the rated oil and spec meeting filters, coupled with conciencious thought about thourough warming (i.e. a short 2 mile ride to work every day with no long rides is horrible for condensation buildup in your oil (and the rider)), reasonable driving habits, and cleanliness in your service work, nullify a lot of differences in any type or brand or oil you may choose to use.

But.. um... I want 226,000 miles too...and I'm not always regular, conciencious, warm, nor reasonable.... and that oil definetly didnt harm your chances... so.. I'm pretty sure going with that ;)

Thank you for sharing yet another peice of great information, in what i imagine is approaching a sickening number of oil related posts.