Lowest temp you have ridden 10 plus miles in

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredder

Reaction score
Well, as the thread goes,,, what be da lowest temp you have ridden over ten miles in? Last week I set a personal record of 22 miles in 28 degree night time weather~! Not too bad behind the V-Stream windscreen with the Gerbings G2 gloves on (NOT POWERED at the time cuz I roll like that sometimes ! LOL). And yes, it did creep a bit over 30 for a few miles BUT THOSE DONT COUNT!! Belittle me if you must with your tales of colder adventures.... however,,,,,, the winter is yet to come!!!!!!!! :dribble:

Post up!!

Last edited by a moderator:
139 miles between 11 and 26 degrees. The ice fog I hit at speed that had been icing the road for hours was a very interesting experience. :blink:

The Warm-n-Safes were cranked, but breakfast at Lakeview, OR was a big treat.

10 miles isn't enough for the bike to get warm or for the rider to get too cold. I've done 10+ miles in the low 20's (Fahrenheit scale) without any auxilliary heating many times (no chance of ice only). If there's a chance of ice, I'm in the truck pretty quick.

FWIW, the FJR's heated grips seem to "run away" unless the temp is at least as low as 40, even on the very lowest setting. I can't imagine how cold it would have to be to fully utilize the High setting.

I have some Gerbing stuff (vest, socks), but I don't bother with it unless I'm heading out on a ride of several hours in below 40 temperatures.

In SoCal or the Peoples Republic of California (PRC), it doesn't get real cold but one chilly morning (to me it was cold) It was only 17 miles to work but it was 36º. Probably most of you ride in that kind of weather.

I had all my liners in, and a flannel LS shirt, my winter gloves, and the grip heaters cranked. My feet and head were the coldest, everything else was fine.

In SoCal or the Peoples Republic of California (PRC), it doesn't get real cold but one chilly morning (to me it was cold) It was only 17 miles to work but it was 36º.
Not so much. On that same ride....it didn't get much above 30 as I cornered through California toward Nevada between New Pine Creek and Cedarville. Your Northern Cali citizens knowcold. ;)

End of Sept this year rode home from the Okanagan Valley here in BC. Thru the mountain pass between Kelowna and Merritt I did about 65km in a surprise snowstorm, so I am thinking it had to be about...hmm...yeah...freezing temps.

My hands were so cold I was sure my heated grips weren't working. When I got to Merritt I went to a workwear store and bought dry winter gloves and headed out again. Funny, but my grips were working fine, my hands had just been to wet and numb to feel 'em.

Well just last week it got down to about 24 when I left for work @ 4am. Its a 25 mile trek one way. The longest ride was this past February when the roads were dry and I decided to take a little trip to Duluth. Temp was 18 when I left the house and it's about 70 miles one way. No heated gear either at the time, :blink: needless to say I do have heated gear now.

10 degrees for about 4 hours of trail riding on my dirt bike in southern Oregon. In and out of snow drifts covering the trail. Probably did about 20 miles of single track trails.

On the street, 25 degrees commuting to work on a clear and cold winter day, traveled 25 miles each way on my old Hurricane 600.

21degrees for 36 miles. ( My commute at the time)Last year I rode everyday to work. It was horrible, I thought I was prepared for it , but every little opening ( like between your jacket and over pants) was like ice water on your skin. I bought heated gear afterwards.

18F from Van Horn, TX toward El Paso for a couple of hours, 3 days before Thanksgiving in '04. I was on an FJR. The other two guys I was with were on an R6 and a 250 Ninja.

THEY were cold.

Had to teach them the secret tricks of newspapers, garbage bags, and surgical gloves.

As long as there's no ice on the road I ride year round here in York, PA. during the winter months, the Voyager is set up with V-Strom hand guards and aftermarket heated grips (heated grips are pretty useless below 30F). Coldest I've ridden for any given time (2+hr ride) has been approx. 19F. Fingers-N-toes still get cold, so I'm on the hunt for heated gloves and socks.

I did an 800 mile ride from York, PA to South Myrtle Beach, SC several Thanksgiving's ago (on a Triumph Sprint ST). Left around 6pm with a temp of 36F. Found a motel in VA to overnight around midnight. Although the temps warmed the following day as I headed south, it poured. Over-all, it was an adventurous trip. I'm heading out again Nov. 25 for the same destination.

In short, guess we need to ask ourselves just how obsessed we are about riding. For me, it's my daily/weekly fix!

As long as there's no ice on the rode I ride year round here in York, PA. during the winter months, the Voyager is set up with V-Strom hand guards and aftermarket heated grips (heated grips are pretty useless below 30F). Coldest I've ridden for any given time (2+hr ride) has been approx. 19F. Fingers-N-toes still get cold, so I'm on the hunt for heated gloves and socks. I did an 800 mile ride from York, PA to South Myrtle Beach, SC several Thanksgiving's ago (on a Triumph Sprint ST). Left around 6pm with a temp of 36F. Found a motel in VA to overnight around midnight. Although the temps warmed the following day as I headed south, it poured. Over-all, it was an adventurous trip. I'm heading out again Nov. 25 for the same destination.

In short, guess we need to ask ourselves just how obsessed we are about riding. For me, it's my daily/weekly fix!
+1 on the commuting until we get road ice and I live not far from SPORT. Riding in light snow flurries is pretty common in the winter. Riding into DC every day from an hour north, my coldest for last winter was 17F. I did catch a couple of car drivers looking at me like I was crazy.

What about snow !!!

Snow.jpg

I commute 45 miles, so 22.5 miles in 22F. I make a judgement call as to whether there is ice before I go. Any precip in the evening before and I will not ride when it below freezing. I do not have heated clothing but have symtec heated grips and Corbin heated seat & a one piece cold weather suit. Generally, riding in temps below 25F sucks.

What about snow !!!
Snow.jpg
I was waiting for one of us Canucks to pipe up. A few years back I had to leave my bike at work. I left in the morning and it was 34F. Forecast was for sunny and clear all day. Ya. Wrong. It started snowing around 11am. Didn't stop till the next day. I've ridden in the snow OFFROAD regularly. But on a street bike with 6 or 7" on the ground. No F'n WAY!

As for temps, the longest cold trip I've done was a couple weeks ago. Rode about 200 miles at 35F, no heated gear. With my gf on the back. Believe me when I say this, Suzuki hand guards kicks major butt ass! and FJR weather protection, while not to GoldWing standards, really is very good.

As for the topic.. I dunno I've done it to often to keep track of.

Hey Bungie I too, got caught in the snow in the early 80s and was to stubborn to admit defeat! 3" of snow and 20 miles to home. It was the wet slushy type of snow. Did it on an RD350. The same winter on same bike around 5F / -15C. rode from downtown Toronto into the 'burbs. No heated gear. Pants with long-johns,work boots, leather coat,scarf , full face helmet and leather gloves. Would reach down and put hands on the cylinder head to warm them up. There was a group of 5 of us that road all winter in 82-83.

The things we did as teenagers eh!

Rob

Would reach down and put hands on the cylinder head to warm them up. There was a group of 5 of us that road all winter in 82-83. The things we did as teenagers eh!
Being invincible will make you do those kinda things.

I know my FJR, if I pop my hands just below the fairing at the point at your knee, I get all kinds of internal combustion goodness to warm the pinkies. I had the scoot out yesterday with buddy from work at lunch time - about 14C. Did 537 twice and didn't want to go back to work. 3 of us rode in yesterday, myself, Mike on his Bandit and Dan on his Softtail. Guess which one left to go home to get a sweatshirt a half hour before lunch time and didn't come back for the ride.... hint number two, he parks diagonal in the parking spot...

Gotta love those its friday, its sunny and warm and it November - lets haul some ass lunch rides!

Today, 3C and sunny. Supposed to go back up to 14C just in time to go back to work on Monday. Won't be long before it gets put to sleep for the long white.

Dude! I CANNOT picture you on an RD! I had a Daytona Special for a little while.. fun bike on the pipe!