mirror blind spot redux

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4663991583_3a356f92d9.jpg

I have a set of the extenders too, and hope to get them on in the next couple of days. For Canajans who don't want to order from the US, you can get them at AViciousCycle.ca in New Dundee, Ontario. They will mail them out to you. They are essentially the Canadian outlet of Twisted Throttle.

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news....the parts arrived yesterday! :yahoo:

The bad news....how much of our bike do we have to take apart before we access the freaking mirror mounts!!!!???? :assassin:

After 11 screws, one bolt and removing a mirror for nothing, I put everything back together and went to my Yamaha Dealer and left everything in their hands. When I pick the beast up today, I will speak with Dean (friend and mechanic) to learn just what was required. Sheeeezz! :angry:

Ya ya...pictures to follow....fricking ....

I'm going to order some for my bike as well. I had the antlers on my 1st FJR and I'm ready to try something different. I think the spacers will blend in with the black paint pretty nicely. Now if I could only remember how I swapped the mirrors out 6 years ago!

" Remove ALL inner panels and you will be able to access the mirror mounts", says my cherry Oz friend! Pictures to follow, but the view is great and the look is just fine. Very Happy!!
yahoo.gif

Well....I have attempted to follow the convoluted manner needed to download pictures on this site and.......
blink.gif

So..... any pictures will be posted on the kinder and easier sites that were made with the elderly in mind.

I like them better than the FZ1 mirrors, but WILL have to suck it up WHEN these don't work.
Fixed. Really. Do yourself a favor and sit on somebody else's bike that has the FZ1 mirror set up.

Hey buddy, save your money and just get the OEM FZ1 mirrors. DONE.

Now you owe me a beer for saving you $$$. :clapping:
Hey you big gurl...I have a brand new set of FZ1 OEM mirrors being sent to me as I type this. I got a really good deal right here on this Forum. I realized some of my buddies have the mirrors and I never even noticed. They look good enough for me. Like I said, I'm absolutely sick of looking at my gloves and elbows. The fact that someone at Yamaha is too stupid to fix this issue kind of pisses me off.

I can't wait till the new mirrors arrive! If you bring your butt through Albuquerque, lemme know. I'll get you so much beer, we'll have to call a Taxi to get us home.

OH MAN...I went for a ride today with my new FZ1 mirrors and all I can say is WOW! Did you guys know there is actually shit going on behind us while we ride? These mirrors are worth every penny!! For the first time since buying this bike, I was able to see the lanes next to me, and the lane directly behind me. All without the little convex blind-spot mirrors.

I think the FZ1 mirrors look dammed good, and there is no telling they are not OEM for this bike.

They took me about 3 hours to install on Friday, including a little stint where I dropped one of the mirror stem nuts down into the fairing and had to partially take the lower fairing apart to find it. The install itself was really fast, but I took the time to make two spacers out of some small pieces of rubber.

I traced the shape of the mirror onto the rubber pad and cut it out with a razor utility knife. Then I used my dremmel to smooth the edges and get all the loose pieces off. Making the holes the right diameter with just a drill was the biggest hassle of all of it. During the install, I found some missing fasteners that my dealer lost and never bothered to replace, so I just replaced them from my stash of extras. Now my fairing and all the panels are correctly alligned and fit together properly. :yahoo:

After they were installed, I didn't have a chance to take the bike for a ride, so I waited until today when I went to meet Patch308 for a 400 mile ride through the NM mountians. These mirrors do not have the vibration issues the OEM mirrors have, and I can see way more. Shit...I should have done this a LONG time ago.

Yer killin' me here Ardis! My first bike had "compact" mirrors I stole from my sisters,and a squeeze bulb horn like the one klowns use..an it was legal! Didn't have blinker lights as hand signals were still known..

I dunno man.... I think Channel has a scent for ya..

:****:

Yer killin' me here Ardis! My first bike had "compact" mirrors I stole from my sisters,and a squeeze bulb horn like the one klowns use..an it was legal! Didn't have blinker lights as hand signals were still known..

I dunno man.... I think Channel has a scent for ya..

:****:
Eat shit donkey boy. I wasn't talking to you.

I used to be a man, but then I got on this forum and now I'm all pussified about my bike. Next thing you know, I'll be bitching that there are vibes at 4k rpm. :****:

The Twisted Throttle extenders are on and tested on a ride to the Finger Lakes area last weekend. Looks good on the black cherry. Visibility much better!! There is a tiny bit of vibration at speeds over 60 mph, although minor. I would do this again!!

60MPH??? Your are Canadian for %$#@*&^ sake! Go metric or go south! The vibration is no doubt due to Ontario road surfaces....jus sayin'..... :assassin:

PS....love my mirror extensions!

Thanks you guys, this thread has got me all confused, but I think I'll go with the FZ1 mirrors. Where's the best place to get them these days now that Gary is gone?

Cheers,

Fred

I had an '08 Honda CBR600RR for a couple years. Compared to that, the FJR doesn't have a blind spot. The ONLY thing I could see in my CBBR mirror were my elbows and the sky behind me. Very useful for checking out the sunset while riding east and to make sure your arms are still attached.

60MPH??? Your are Canadian for %$#@*&^ sake! Go metric or go south! The vibration is no doubt due to Ontario road surfaces....jus sayin'..... :assassin:

PS....love my mirror extensions!
OK, OK, the test was done going 100 clicks in New York State.... those is 'Merican roads, and yes they were south of me.