Mother of All Mexico Dirt Bike Rides - March in 2015!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received an e-mail from MotoDiscovery yesterday with a bunch of info. I need to make some arrangements as to moto insurance while in Mexico and start planning out a route to get me down to McAllen TX with a stop at the Barber Museum along the way.
I received the info too. Unfortunately I have a loan on the KTM. So that now means I have go through a bunch of hoops in an attempt to get a letter from the bank stating it's alright for me to take my bike to Mexico. Why in the world would Mexico care if I have a lien on this bike? Especially since I will have a valid registration, Mexico insurance, US passport, $400 mandatory bond and a US driver's license! What if the Banks says no? Lets face it, it sure wouldn't be in their best interest to let me take it.
I've used BMW Financial Credit for many years now, they have never hesitated to send me the Release Letter. When I took my Boston Whaler Powerboat to Mexico it was financed with Chase Bank, CB had absolutely no problems in issuing the Release Letter. I would be totally shocked if your Bank hassled you, this is a standard procedure! If your Bank stiffs you, have them talk to Skip or Nancy Mascorro from MotoDiscovery at 1-800-233-0564. Atlanta, What the ****!

NOTE: Just called an AZ Beemers Riding Buddy who manages my Wells Fargo Bank, Ron K. said WFB issues Mexico Release Letters all day long! JSNS, Ai!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, I'm not trying make this a big deal, I just never had to do this before. The bank that has the KTM loan is FreedomRoad Financial. I'm not even sure it's an actual bank. :)

Cool, I'm not trying make this a big deal, I just never had to do this before. The bank that has the KTM loan is FreedomRoad Financial. I'm not even sure it's an actual bank.
smile.png
https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/lienholders.php CHRIS_D: Here are my dos centavos. 1) I would first purchase your insurance through either https://www.mexpro.com or https://www.mexican-autoinsurance.com I have dealt with MexPro in Flagstaff, Arizona for over two decades now. If you call MexPro ask for either Mike or Angel, there are two gals named Angel - Angelica, but both have worked with me for many Mexico Policies: Motorcycles, autos, jet skis and boats. 1-888-723-4617

2) After you have your Mexico Insurance Documents in hand, I would print out the first two pages of the link above before you go to Freedom Road Financial JSNS, Arriba!

"Before traveling into Baja or mainland Mexico it is a good idea to check with the company through which you financed the lease or purchase of your vehicle, to see if they have special requirements for international travel. Many lien holders require their clients to request an official letter of permission to be carried with their Mexican insurance policy throughout the entire trip. This letter can be shown at check points and border crossings to verify that you are legally allowed to take your car into Mexico and back.

Individual banks and financial services have different procedures for how you should go about obtaining a letter of permission. It is also important to note that many companies will not allow you to travel in Mexico with your financed vehicle for a period longer than 30 days. You should always contact your lending institution directly to make sure that you know their particular policies and expectations, and are following the correct steps to receive a letter of permission well in advance of your departure date. Some lenders notarize their letters, which lengthens the processing time. Using a FAX machine to send and receive information from your bank or financing company will expedite the process significantly.

Bajabound.com recommends that customers who will be traveling with a financed vehicle allow a minimum of 7 - 10 days in advance of travel to complete the steps necessary to get this important letter of permission from your lending institution. Although some institutions work more quickly than others, if you wait until the last minute to make your request you may have to postpone your trip until the permission letter arrives!

Here are descriptions of the step-by-step process that Baja Bound customers should follow in order to receive formal permission to travel south of the border from ten of the most commonly used financing companies:"

Reply #84 on: Today at 12:33:08 PM »
For those who follow such details, the US dollar will now buy almost 15 Mexican pesos. We are entering a sweet spot for those wanting to travel outside of the US as King Dollar is making a comeback.
Darrel Wells
Peoria, AZ
'13 K1600GT
'07 R1200GS "Mule"

Back Road Bob
AZ Beemer Member

Re: Mother of all Mexico Dirt Bike Rides-March in 2015! Real de Catorce y Huasteca!
« Reply #85 on: Today at 01:58:33 PM »
So more tacos and tequila!

Just got off the phone with Skip to check that he had received back the requested info. I just have to finalize the Mexico insurance and then we will be all set. I was asking Skip about the route and there is about 120 miles of pavement the first day and about 1 & 1/2 days pavement at the end. My little 450 might not like that much pavement so it might start and end this trip on the truck but that's OK.
There is a rumour that Don is buying all the margaritas during the entire trip so there is no way I'm missing this. I was really wanting a margarita after blowing all the snow out of the driveway this morning. To get my mind off the snow I was on Basecamp today looking at a route from the Great White North down to McAllen and I think I will be stopping in at the Barber Museum on the way down and I may be in Redfish Hunter country on the way through since I have heard him mention Lake Charles before.
I was asking if they were planning on supplying tracks or routes for as Don calls it "the Devil's box". For this trip Skip will be providing at a minumum the waypoints for the hotels at the end of the day. I for one will be happy since we had trouble finding the hotel in Batopilas last time but it all worked out in the end.
It's all part of the adventure.

So more tacos and tequila!
No fish tacos for Don. He is already stinky enough without fish tacos.

What not riding! Blasphemy I say. No tequilla for Don on no ride days.

When I was helicopter skiing in BC many years ago an asymmetrical turn vs the rest of the turns on the hill was enough to buy wine for the crew that night.

Is his WR450R street legal in Mexico?

As for not finding the Hotel in Batopilas well given the lack of signs that is perfectly understandable. Hell even with a map and walking around town I barely found my hotel.

What not riding! Blasphemy I say. No tequilla for Don on no ride days.
When I was helicopter skiing in BC many years ago an asymmetrical turn vs the rest of the turns on the hill was enough to buy wine for the crew that night.

Is his WR450R street legal in Mexico?

As for not finding the Hotel in Batopilas well given the lack of signs that is perfectly understandable. Hell even with a map and walking around town I barely found my hotel.
We are not talking about Don's GS we are talking about my WR. The Yamaha WR is an enduro bike not a dual sport which means it has an enduro seat which is only one step above a seat on a trials bike. The first and last days are transport days to get to the good riding according to Skip. Having been to Copper Canyon on my WR I know what my Yamaha is comfortable with and yes my WR450 is street legal here in the Great White North and in Mexico.

For tires & rims I'll be removing my Pro Wheel rims running a Tubeless system and Michilin S12's and changing them over to the stock rims with Michilin Heavy Duty tubes and DOT approved Dunlop 606's. I have an IMS tank on the bike so fuel range should not be an issue.

Running the WR450 wide open down a straight paved road all day long trying to chase a 990 KTM is not fun in my book and an enduro motor is not really meant to do that so I'm going to play it smart for a change. I'm not looking to blow the bike up on the first day so I'll save the bike for the fun stuff thank you very much. I will ride the WR450 down pavement all day if I have to but if I have an option I'd rather not.

The point of interest file in my Garmin Montana shows 9 hotels in Xilita so I'm hopeful this time it will not be an Easter Egg Hunt to find our lodging at the end of a long & dusty day in the saddle.

wr08%20%282%29-L.jpg

What not riding! Blasphemy I say. No tequila for Don yamafitter on no ride days.

Is his "Girlie Man" WR450R street legal in Mexico?

Mi Amigo Jim, tres things: 1) With your living in Seatlle I thought you would have a better understanding of Canadians, they are like little petulant children and are very easily confused! 2) Your Papa Chuy Viejo is riding his 2009 BMW F650GS from his Chandler home to Potosina and back, it's not a trailer queen like the WR450R of Billy Fitz. 3) Mi Amigo, if you spoke Spanish you find your hotels much easier: ¿Puede decirme la man era más rápida de llegar al Hotel las Minas de Batopilas? PS: Don't add "eh" to any of your Spanish phrases, or a Federale will throw you to the ground! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Vamanos Muchachos!

... 2) Your Papa Chuy Viejo is riding his 2009 BMW F650GS from his Chandler home to Potosina and back, it's not a trailer queen like the WR450R of Billy Fitz. 3) Mi Amigo, if you spoke Spanish you find your hotels much easier: ¿Puede decirme la man era más rápida de llegar al Hotel las Minas de Batopilas? PS: Don't add "eh" to any of your Spanish phrases, or a Federale will throw you to the ground! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Vamanos Muchachos!
While the knobbies on the WR450 make for a decent snow tire the stator is not big enough to run the heated riding gear required in the Great White North in March so yes I will admit to trailering the WR450 through the snowbanks on my way down to Texas.

As for being thrown to the ground I was not the one that ended up being thrown to the ground by the Federales after they were insulted by some drunken Irish Spanglish gibber gabber.

Bill,
Did you have that Rekluse clutch last trip? How are you liking it?
I've had a Rekluse clutch on my last two dirt bikes and did have the Rekluse on the bike during the Copper Canyon trip. It will always be the first farkle I put on any dirt bike I buy since it just makes the riding so much easier in the technical trails. I leave the clutch lever attached to the clutch as a manual override but some of the faster guys will replace the clutch lever with a rear brake lever. They say it is much easier to control the rear brake with a hand lever over using the normal brake pedal.

PS - This Canuck was not confused about who was riding and who was trailering. It was the soggy PNW'ner that was confused. Being a drunken Irish Zonie it goes without saying that Don is always confused.

... 2) Your Papa Chuy Viejo is riding his 2009 BMW F650GS from his Chandler home to Potosina and back, it's not a trailer queen like the WR450R of Billy Fitz. 3) Mi Amigo, if you spoke Spanish you find your hotels much easier: ¿Puede decirme la man era más rápida de llegar al Hotel las Minas de Batopilas? PS: Don't add "eh" to any of your Spanish phrases, or a Federale will throw you to the ground! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Vamanos Muchachos!
While the knobbies on the WR450 make for a decent snow tire the stator is not big enough to run the heated riding gear required in the Great White North in March so yes I will admit to trailering the WR450 through the snowbanks on my way down to Texas.

As for being thrown to the ground I was not the one that ended up being thrown to the ground by the Federales after they were insulted by some drunken Irish Spanglish gibber gabber.

Wait Papa Chuy insulted them!!
hunter.gif

Besides I LET the Federales throw me to the ground
innocent.gif
scooter.gif

Well darn I insulted Bill while trying to poke fun at Don. Sorry about that - I apologize. Now let me go clean up the scrambled egg off my face.

Perhaps I can buy everybody a round and all will be forgiven.

Well darn I insulted Bill while trying to poke fun at Don. Sorry about that - I apologize. Now let me go clean up the scrambled egg off my face.
Perhaps I can buy everybody a round and all will be forgiven.
I will apologize to Chris, I may have mentioned to the Lieutenant you screwed his Mom!

Damnit Jim NEVER - EVER apologize to a Canuckistani, it sets a bad precedent! JSNS!

Wait, Papa Chuy insulted them!!
hunter.gif

Besides I LET the Federales throw me to the ground
innocent.gif
scooter.gif

"As for being thrown to the ground I was not the one that ended up being thrown to the ground by the Federales after they were insulted by some drunken Irish Spanglish gibber gabber."

**** them if they can't take a shenanigan, then **** them if they can! JSNS, Irish Logic!

A Great Photograph of two of the nicest people you would ever want to meet and ride with, Skip and Nancy Mascorro - Owners of MotoDiscovery Tours.

Photo was taken in front of the La Parochia Cathedral at the El Jardin of San Miguel de Allende on New Year's Eve 12/31/14. A Beautiful Pueblo Historico.

Atencion Senor Russ Perry: Por favor mi Compadre, contact tus Papa Chuy Viejo vía PM or [email protected] or 480-440-4666 muy pronto ese! Es importante, Verdad! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Arriba-Ai-Ai!

Who has made their arrangements for moto insurance in Mexico? I've got a couple of quotes and will probably make my choice in the next couple of days.

I tried to make sense of the paperwork for the moto import deposit but I think I will wait until we cross over the border. I seem to remember from the Copper Canyon trip that they actually wanted to see the motocycle as part of the procedure.