My 2013 FJR has arrived.....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just noticed the side trim on the bags is acually screwed to the case and NOT stuck...

now the fog has cleared it's time to ride it. :yahoo:

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Richard (and Warchild too) on the new rides. Bummed that my '08 is probably worth a few thousand less than a used prophylactic now, but looking forward to the next 5 years of complaints from the Gen 1 crowd (if the last 7 years is an accurate forecast)....
Not gonna be an issue. You see, the period from 2006 to 2012, better referred to as "The Dark Ages" in Yama-speak, for the barbarism, ignorance and unsophistication foisted upon the general motorcycling public, has ended.

Civilization can now expel the bad taste left in its collective mouth for the technological indiscretion known widely as "The Gen II", or referred to in some circles as "The Plague of Suppurating Cystic Discharge".

Sorry. The truth hurts. Go ahead...mark my rep down. I'm a big boy. :finger:

Let's see...I'm Gen II owner and now that the 2013 is available, my bike just depreciated again. Being that its an 2008 AE, it's probably worth about half of the 2013 A. Notice I said "A", because Yamaha doesn't think we need an up-to-date bike that matches the competion with inverted forks, eletronic suspension..etc. Nope, they'd rather push the same ole bike with cruise control and some other negligible fluff! Not that i'm complaining about the same bike, I love mine, but the reality is, considering my current value, I'd have to spend 7k+ for cruise control and some other fluff for close too if not the same riding experience?? :ph34r: I'll save for the Triumph Trophy or the BMW K1600 GT, or better yet, just keep riding my 2008. :p

file-13.jpg

file-12.jpg

R

Looking at these pictures, I have an idea for a newfangled farkle for you new G3 guys: What if you got a set of mirror spacers made up such that you can sandwich an Aux light mounting bracket between the spacers and the bases of the mirrors? That way you'd kill 3 birds with one stone: 1) You'll get wider mirrors and can see around your elbows (doh!), 2) You can use that location for your aux light mounts again because the spacer will let you clear the recessed area, and 3) the beauty part is that the aux light brackets should help hide the ugliness of having the spacers.

Once someone figures out the dimensions you might want to ping 07FJR4ME and see if WYNPRO would be interested in making such a product in billet aluminum (can be pronounced "al-yoo-min-e-uhm" for Richard).

Actually Fred i had that very same conversation with Gary this morning, when i get the mirrors off i will send him the dimensions and we can go from there, I would actually rather have them painted the same color (colour)as the bike so as to hide them.

So in short Fred we are on top of it.....

R

file-12.jpg

Looking at these pictures, I have an idea for a newfangled farkle for you new G3 guys: What if you got a set of mirror spacers made up such that you can sandwich an Aux light mounting bracket between the spacers and the bases of the mirrors? That way you'd kill 3 birds with one stone: 1) You'll get wider mirrors and can see around your elbows (doh!), 2) You can use that location for your aux light mounts again because the spacer will let you clear the recessed area, and 3) the beauty part is that the aux light brackets should help hide the ugliness of having the spacers.

Once someone figures out the dimensions you might want to ping 07FJR4ME and see if WYNPRO would be interested in making such a product in billet aluminum (can be pronounced "al-yoo-min-e-uhm" for Richard).
Here is my concern with that, Fred.... and I hope I don't become royally pissed off at Yamaha here in a few hours, when I determine if the following is true or not.... :angry2:

Recall that the mirror attachment bolts are of fixed length in previous generation FJRs. If the same holds true for this GenIII model (and I'm hard-pressed to think that Yamaha would have changed this arrangement), then by the time enough spacer material is introduced under the bracket to stand it off enough to prevent striking the cowling, one wonders if there will be enough threaded bolt shaft length to even start the retaining fasteners, much less afford the ability to torque them down properly.

This is one of my prime goals this afternoon. That, and to determine if the existing Givi racks will transfer over. I have a sinking feeling on the latter... :unsure:

Here is my concern with that, Fred...the mirror attachment bolts are of fixed length..then by the time enough spacer material is introduced under the bracket to stand it off...one wonders if there will be enough threaded bolt shaft length to even start the retaining fasteners...
It's possible to fabricate threaded standoffs that can safely extend the short bolts. It is just another PITA step in the process.

Yup, sorry... I should have something to that effect.

That was true of any of the spacers that were used previously, so it would hold true now too. You need to extend the bolts that protrude from the back of the mirrors. I believe that SW Motech makes some spacers for the 2nd gens that may or may not fit into the depressed area of the G3. Of course that would be assuming that the mirrors are the same as G2 , with the same bolt spacing, which they look to be.

edit - Yup, here is a link to the SW Motech G2 spacers with the extension pieces.

Let's see...I'm Gen II owner and now that the 2013 is available, my bike just depreciated again. Being that its an 2008 AE, it's probably worth about half of the 2013 A. Notice I said "A", because Yamaha doesn't think we need an up-to-date bike that matches the competion with inverted forks, eletronic suspension..etc. Nope, they'd rather push the same ole bike with cruise control and some other negligible fluff! Not that i'm complaining about the same bike, I love mine, but the reality is, considering my current value, I'd have to spend 7k+ for cruise control and some other fluff for close too if not the same riding experience?? :ph34r: I'll save for the Triumph Trophy or the BMW K1600 GT, or better yet, just keep riding my 2008. :p

What does this rant have to do with Fairlaner's particular pristine 2013? Let's be happy for the dude...and rant somewhere else. Yer killing the vibe on the new 2013 bike smell. :D

This is not the "whiney, complain about whatever" thread. There seem to be plenty of those around. Find one and doodle there. :clapping:

Dale when you get a sec can you look at your rear subframe and tell me if you have the rubber mud flap that attaches to the rear inner fender and stops the shit getting on the shock....

Mine is missing and so is the other one they have at the same dealer.

Thanks.

yes it is up on the lift.

R

Dale when you get a sec can you look at your rear subframe and tell me if you have the rubber mud flap that attaches to the rear inner fender and stops the shit getting on the shock....

Mine is missing and so is the other one they have at the same dealer.
I will check it....