NAFO 1K and 1.5K RIDES!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy am I sitting on the fence! I'm paid up and ready to go but I'm leaving Wednesday with 1381 miles to be there Thursday! Them are big numbers for this kid and I have even thought of working in a saddle sore and making it 1550 and going thru all of the documentation stuff to do that on the way down. To bad this wasn't on Saturday my monkey butt might be gone an I'd had done some tire kicking on Friday and been ready to go Saturday. I'm not out but watchen. I do want to see the host state that 750 may bee for me.

Boy am I sitting on the fence! I'm paid up and ready to go but I'm leaving Wednesday with 1381 miles to be there Thursday! Them are big numbers for this kid and I have even thought of working in a saddle sore and making it 1550 and going thru all of the documentation stuff to do that on the way down. To bad this wasn't on Saturday my monkey butt might be gone an I'd had done some tire kicking on Friday and been ready to go Saturday. I'm not out but watchen. I do want to see the host state that 750 may bee for me.

If you want to do an IBA ride this is the way to do it! Instant verification & cert!

OK Wheaton, if you are going to do the SS1K, them I will Nutt-up, and take on the SS1K on Friday with you.
That will be after a days rest of going for a BBG on the way out on Wednesday.

if I can do 2500 miles in 3 days, you can handle the SS1k on Friday.

NICE! I salute you Trigger!

Although I'm still unsure whether I can go to NAFO, the only way I foresee fitting it in is by doing fast SS1ks to minimize the travel time to and from Golden. Since that is the case, I doubt I'd ante up for a Friday IBA ride....you da man Trigger! :superman:

My home in Golden is about a 10 minute walk from the Denver West Marriot. If you would like me to take a look at planned rides, whether 1k or just fun day rides, I would be happy to comment on them and make recommendations. I might even be able to point out where the local constabulary likes to bounce high frequency radio waves and lasers off of hapless riders and drivers. Not every place they hide, but a few here and there.

There are some wonderful rides if you want to do 100 miles, 300 miles, 500 miles or the Butt Burners.

Ron

If a fellow had questions about this whole thing, to whom might he direct them? Never done one,but it sounds like a cosmic experience. B)
The starter of the thread, Beeroux. Besides having done a SaddleSore or two in his life....he's organizing this little event and is THE MAN.

In fact, we will reserve time in the Saturday banquet festivities to recount the tales and spotlight the folks that rode this. Last year were three "virgins" doing SaddleSores and of the Bun Burner Gold virgins...some had done their Saddle Sore the year before that in Reno. What Beeroux offers is a GREAT opportunity to combine a certification with a glimpse into what a rally looks like....also while doing it with other riders.

I did a picture and a bit of reporting on the build-up last year here.

Indeed.

If you ride one of the IBA rides, you will be brought up and given attention to.

If that kind of glory is NOT your thing, just let me know and I will avoid bringing your name up during the LD awards ceremony. No sweat, I dig.

All others will have their "story" told about them, and the better the story the LONGER the story.<G>

Nuff said: you LD Peeps is the BEST.

GZ

GZ, what pray tell am I supposed to do with my Mrs. while I go traipsing all over Collar-Rawdo on a BBG? Leave her behind to be corrupted by the RM and his crew?? :eh-smiley:

Is leaving earlier an option so we can make it back for dinner? I hate to miss a good BBQ dinner. <Homer voice> Mmmmm, BBQ </Homer voice>

GZ, what pray tell am I supposed to do with my Mrs. while I go traipsing all over Collar-Rawdo on a BBG? Leave her behind to be corrupted by the RM and his crew?? :eh-smiley:
Is leaving earlier an option so we can make it back for dinner? I hate to miss a good BBQ dinner. <Homer voice> Mmmmm, BBQ </Homer voice>
I can stand guard with your wife over at my house. On second thought, my wife may have something to say about that. :unsure:

Ron

Indeed.
If you ride one of the IBA rides, you will be brought up and given attention to.

If that kind of glory is NOT your thing, just let me know and I will avoid bringing your name up during the LD awards ceremony. No sweat, I dig.

All others will have their "story" told about them, and the better the story the LONGER the story.<G>

GZ
I shiver at the attention I might get if I try and don't finish :unsure:

Indeed.

GZ

Well, uhh,

seeing how many talk shit about how they coulda shoulda woulda, against those that actually DO:

You as a failure who at least TRIED would be seen in better esteem than those who talk but don't walk.

If you try and fail you are a better man than that person who does not try at all.

Ya dig, sho nuff.

GZ

Here's another way to look at it.

If you were to maintain a 42 mph average for 24 hours you'd finish.

A fair number of people who try a SaddleSore for their first time finish in 17 or 18 hours of riding depending on route choices...and some less than 16 hours. That's still between 6 and 8 hours off the bike for nappy time if needed, meals, etc. Also, in my experience...the difference between doing say 400 miles straight and 1000 miles straight is not that much. If you can run out two tanks on the bike straight....it's like going to 11...that extra bit (in an English accent).

Here's another way to look at it.

If you were to maintain a 42 mph average for 24 hours you'd finish.

A fair number of people who try a SaddleSore for their first time finish in 17 or 18 hours of riding depending on route choices...and some less than 16 hours. That's still between 6 and 8 hours off the bike for nappy time if needed, meals, etc. Also, in my experience...the difference between doing say 400 miles straight and 1000 miles straight is not that much. If you can run out two tanks on the bike straight....it's like going to 11...that extra bit (in an English accent).
Yet another way to look at it: I am the biggest whining, crying, pansy-ass baby (seriously, I complain about everything) any of you will ever meet and I pulled off a Beeroux SS1K for the first time last year at WFO. Looking back, it was easy and if you have a wingman, even easier still.

C'mon people, it's not hard. Take the plunge! I'm registered to come and I'm planning my second SS1K at NAFO. I just had an artificial disc implanted in my spine at the end of August. I've got a fresh 10" scar from my belly to my junk to prove it. If anyone should be a puss 'n boots and belly achin' about reasons not to do these rides, it's me.

This stuff's fun and if you don't try/do it, you'll always wonder what it would be like. Missing Friday's banquet dinner is a small sacrifice to make. Memories - that's what a trip like this is all about, isn't it? Really make them count with some long distance goodness courtesy of GZ. :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK -

Against my better judgment - I'm in as well.

Just the SS1K, though. I want the Colorado State pin. That, and perhaps I can be back for dinner - Or maybe I'll just paddle around the state and take 23 hours to do it, just for George's peace of mind. :lol:

Hmmmm...... I wonder what the rally towel is going to say THIS year ? (I'll probably regret bringing that up, won't I ? )

EDIT - Maybe BeerMe will finish ahead of me this time? Who knows. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator: