NAFO 1K and 1.5K RIDES!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mentioned to my wife that a Colorado SS1000 was being planned, and to my surprise she said that she might consider riding it. But I'm concerned about heading off on a ride like this with her, as it is not her usual riding style. I did a SS1K a couple of years ago with a buddy, but we just hopped on I25 and went north to Montana and then turned around and came home. It was interstate for almost the entire ride. The furthest my wife has ridden in a day was last summer when we rode from home (Longmont, CO) up to Grand Teton NP, about 500 miles.

I'm guessing that we will not learn the route until just before the ride, but can you give us a few clues. Will the ride be mostly in the high country? There are some real desolate places on the eastern plains of Colorado, and although they might be great for putting on a lot of miles quickly, they can be real hot during July.

I guess the uncertainty of not knowing the route, is part of my concern. I'm afraid that we could end up in the far corner of Colorado (say Durango) and my wife would say, that's it, I'm done. We'd miss most of NAFO. Is there an escape route built into the plan?

Now for something completely off topic. How do you pronounce beeroux, and what does it mean I gather it has something to do with beer.

John

I mentioned to my wife that a Colorado SS1000 was being planned, and to my surprise she said that she might consider riding it. But I'm concerned about heading off on a ride like this with her, as it is not her usual riding style. I did a SS1K a couple of years ago with a buddy, but we just hopped on I25 and went north to Montana and then turned around and came home. It was interstate for almost the entire ride. The furthest my wife has ridden in a day was last summer when we rode from home (Longmont, CO) up to Grand Teton NP, about 500 miles.
I'm guessing that we will not learn the route until just before the ride, but can you give us a few clues. Will the ride be mostly in the high country? There are some real desolate places on the eastern plains of Colorado, and although they might be great for putting on a lot of miles quickly, they can be real hot during July.

I guess the uncertainty of not knowing the route, is part of my concern. I'm afraid that we could end up in the far corner of Colorado (say Durango) and my wife would say, that's it, I'm done. We'd miss most of NAFO. Is there an escape route built into the plan?

Now for something completely off topic. How do you pronounce beeroux, and what does it mean I gather it has something to do with beer.

John

BigJohn,

Here's a ride report I did for the inaugural WFO5 Beeroux Designed SS1K.

WFO5 SS1K

WFO6 saw a larger number of folks do their virgin SS1K - and a few complete their first BBG -

And there was even one rider with whom I am a very close friend who started riding the BBG, and ended up completing a 1148 mile SS1K.

Ask me who it was, and I won't tell you. I forget his name.

The NAFO Colorado SS1K ? ? - what can I say about it - other than "I have NO EFFING IDEA" what it will be like. :blink:

And that's the fun, eh?

So sign up. This is a rarely proffered opportunity. You can sit around eating BBQ and drinking beer, or you can ride. Easy choice.

How many signed up to date?
Seven Gents so far.

Biggjohn, your best bet and plan for good times is to start having some training rides with your wife. Do a 500 then 750 ride before NAFO, then bang out the SS1K at NAFO with your wife. That would be kick-ass!

For those wanting route information, you will get it the day before. No exceptions. This is for several reasons I won't go into here.

Certainly many "Bail-out" options exist, but may I suggest you adapt an improvisatory approach to failure? If you need to bail, adapt and overcome. Plan for failure and you will fail. Plan for success and you'll likely succeed.

BTW, this is NOT a way to plan a war.<G>

Get your wife involved, share this silly madness with her, I think it's great.

GZ

beeroux = beer gravy? :bad:

I think I'll stick to the way it sounded in my head... Beer Ox.

Of course, yo mama has a certain ring to it as well. :D

BTW, this is NOT a way to plan a war.<G>
Get your wife involved, share this silly madness with her, I think it's great.

GZ
+1 on planning a war.

How was your wife after the 500 miles? That will tell you, and her alot. It takes a special and determined woman to do 1000 miles. My wife would balk at the 500. I think the chances of failure are much higher with two on board than one. Not sure if it's the lowest common denominator effect, but as soon as momma starts complaining she can't make the last two hundred miles, you're through, regardless of how you feel.

I remember being at the 800-mile mark on a SS1k, it was dark, cold and I was sore. I started yawning, my eyes were watering and the bike was wandering a little in the lane. I stopped, had a cup of coffee and took an extended break. Jumped back on the bike and did the final leg. The caffine and my determination helped me finish, even though the Comfort Inn at my last stop was calling my name. If my wife had been on the back, saying she couldn't go on, I would've skipped the coffee and got a room.

kaisdad, That was a great write up on your SS1K, thanks for sharing. I did an SS1K ride back in June 2006 (clicky). I still have that paperwork buried on my desk.

It seems that every ride on the bike is an adventure of some sort, and the longer the ride the more of an adventure it usually is. We rode through the Canadian Rockies last summer. That ride was more than 3200 miles spread over about 10 days of riding. Before we departed, my wife was anxious about that first day which was to be the 500 miles. I think she was tired when we arrived, but it turned out not to be a difficult day. There were some tougher days later in the ride when we really found out what it is like to ride for hundreds of miles in some serious winds.

I certainly don't plan to fail, but then I do like to start my adventures with a detailed plan. The uncertainty of not knowing the route beforehand makes it harder to plan, but then that makes it more of an adventure I guess. We certainly will get out and do some long rides before NAFO. We moved from a pair of cruisers to a pair of FJR's last fall, and we have not had an opportunity to go for any long rides yet.

I'm certain that neither I or my wife could do an SS1K two up. We each have our own FJR. For us that is the only way to ride. Riding two up, is reserved for emergencies only, which we have had to do a couple of times.

Changing subjects again, I interpreted beeroux's links as having something to do with cooking with beer. That sounds good. But beer gravy? That's just not right. Now I'm going to have nightmares. :p

One more question. Is there a date by which we need to sign up for the SS1K?

John

You have until July 1st to sign-up.

That is so cool that you have 2 bikes. You should both shoot for the SS1K together, as that may never have been done before. Not sure.

Beer CAN be used in sauces and gravys. Oh yes!

But my handle is more about making gumbo with a deep dark roux and washing it down with something hoppy.

Ya dig? Sho nuff.

GZ

Changing subjects again, I interpreted beeroux's links as having something to do with cooking with beer. That sounds good. But beer gravy? That's just not right.

Beer CAN be used in sauces and gravys. Oh yes!
And as a marinade or a moisture agent (think "beer steam" from a pan under a meat on a "spit" in a covered barbecue).
Oh wait...this is about Long distance riding...not cooking... :unknw:

Last edited by a moderator:
Take one half full can of your Beer of Choice, One roasting chicken.

Insert beer can into Chicken. (Contact Odot or Bustanut Joker for procedure)

Set the Beer can with impaled chicken on a cooking sheet in the BBQ.

20 minutes later.....Walla..... BEER BUTT CHICKEN

OK, serious question. Will we be allowed to use digital cameras for the ride, or do we have to use a polaroid?

Quirky?

No.

Just relax until a month before the ride when ya'll get a rally pack and every question will have an answer inside.

Ya dig? Sho nuff.

GZ

this promises to be some great fun. Having GZ point me through the bestest of Utah last year on an in-state BBG15 was the highlight of WFO for me (and that is sayin' something as WFO was good fun)

.....I'm bettin' this year will be the same and some AWESOME riding to be had in Colorado. What better way to see some of the best riding in the world than to be on-the-clock with good folks riding FJR's???

My last year WFO thread here(clicky) and whole ride report HERE -clicky

Damn, that was an awesome trip. Wonder if I can use the same towel this year?? ....Yep, still got it :) ....still not through with the fun of that unique BBG

....Yep, still got it :) ....still not through with the fun of that unique BBG
Woof.

Just try not to accidentally leave any extra Polaroids at the checkpoints this year about 2/3 of the way thru the route... for us slow pokes... ;)

OK Playas.

I finished the Saddle Sore route today. Yowza this is one sweet-ass ride.

I edited the original post to reflect the change of abandoning the BBG. A BBG on slab and in the east is possible, but a fun route through the mountains would mean exceeding the posted speed limit by a goodly amount ALL DAY. So I'm skipping this option.

I guarantee that NO BODY will be disappointed with this 1K day. When you finish that beer is gonna taste SO good.<G>

And start saving your money for plastic surgery after the ride. That smile of yours is going to be plastered and pretty much permanent.

So far heres a list of riders:

Kaitsdad

eeksnake

TriggerT

BVail

BustANut

beerme

protondecay123

RonC

ShinyPartsUp

Beeroux

FJR-pig, PonyFool?????????

Once again I'll need a towel that you riders will give me at the Riders Meeting Thursday night. PM each other and decide what to do.

Get your butt and SMOOTH riding skills in shape boys, you'll need it.<G>

GZ

Last edited by a moderator: