NAFO 1K and 1.5K RIDES!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...in my experience...the difference between doing say 400 miles straight and 1000 miles straight is not that much. If you can run out two tanks on the bike straight....it's like going to 11...that extra bit (in an English accent).
I agree entirely. In fact, as I read Iggy's IBA report, I thought about how riding long distance is alot like running a marathon. Specifically, assuming you are prepared for the event (and have "trained" in preparation), there comes a point when extra miles are not that much of a physical deal. Actually, the tougher part is to keep your head in the game by maintaining control of your thoughts. In IBA rides and marathons, success is reached by continuing ... in spite of your brain nagging you to take it easy or quit. The reward comes from perseverance!

(Disclaimer: while I think a SS1k and a BBG are similar to running a marathon of 26.2 miles, I have to think that completing the actual Iron Butt would be more like running 11 marathons (or ultra-marathons in excess of 26.2 miles) in 11 days!!)

I shiver at the attention I might get if I try and don't finish :unsure:
Here's another way to look at it.

If you were to maintain a 42 mph average for 24 hours you'd finish.

A fair number of people who try a SaddleSore for their first time finish in 17 or 18 hours of riding depending on route choices...and some less than 16 hours. That's still between 6 and 8 hours off the bike for nappy time if needed, meals, etc. Also, in my experience...the difference between doing say 400 miles straight and 1000 miles straight is not that much. If you can run out two tanks on the bike straight....it's like going to 11...that extra bit (in an English accent).
Well how can I say no after that? I'm in.

Big Mile Mama's!

Stay tuned, the official sign-up protocol is about to be posted in this NAFO section.

I think this is going to be a record year for Mile Whores like yourselves.

Coup.

GZ

EDIT - Maybe BeerMe will finish ahead of me this time? Who knows. :blink:
:lol:

Could happen.

1pigflygif.gif

George- before I mention this to my XS11 friends- roughly whats the farthest distance someone might have to go on one tank this year? Thanks.

George- before I mention this to my XS11 friends- roughly whats the farthest distance someone might have to go on one tank this year? Thanks.
You guys need more than one tank for that stuff? Geez, I must be better than I thought... :grin: :p

(On last year's desolate, middle-o-freakin'-nowhere SS1K, awesome by the way, I think the furthest on one tank I went was about 270+ miles. I was about 25 miles into my reserve and practically giving myself an ulcer as I stressfullly road up US 6, praying for a gas station. The rest of the time, it was easy to find a gas station at least every 125-150 miles.)

James,

gas is plentiful and won't be a problem.

Pig, what the hell were you doing stretching your gas like that? You were passing stations left and right.<G>

Kaitsdad, we have 3 folks signed up so far.

GZ

James,
gas is plentiful and won't be a problem.

Pig, what the hell were you doing stretching your gas like that? You were passing stations left and right.<G>

Kaitsdad, we have 3 folks signed up so far.

GZ

ONLY THREE !?!?!?! WTF IS EVERYONE DOING OUT THERE?

If you're a virgin, this is the absolutely best way to qualify for Iron Butt Association membership - INSTANT !!!!

If you're not, it's a guaranteed way to meet some of the best roads in Colorado !! WORD !!

GET SIGNED UP !!!

Sorry, but I somehow the launch if the registry got passed me. Just sent E-Mail with my registration info.

Hey Wheaton, you still going to grow a pair and ride with me on the SS1K?

Sorry, but I somehow the launch if the registry got passed me. Just sent E-Mail with my registration info.
Nope. "A man's gotta know his limitations." :)

Sounds like a great time for you and all the other participants though. :clapping:

Nope. "A man's gotta know his limitations." :)

Sounds like a great time for you and all the other participants though. :clapping:
If the views are anything like last years (post sunrise), this will be a ride you won't want to miss. Even if you don't finish in time.

utah3.jpg

Ummm... I haven't registered because my bike is in the shop and I don't know my license plate number. Stop laughing!
You won't catch me laughing. I put it off for a few hours yesterday because I couldn't remember mine and I was too lazy to walk down to the garage. Those applicatons of Beeroux's are very demanding!

I'm an official virgin all over again...... signed up.

Another IBA Virgin signed up. Thanks for setting this up! Anyone know where I could find a Polaroid? Do they still make them? :unsure:

Just kiddin'. I'll have one ready :yahoo:

:yahoo: :evilsmiley03: :fans: :yahoo:

:yahoo: :fans: :evilsmiley03: :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator: