NAFO 2016 Official Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick question, is anyone going to the rally a Darksider? I'm having trouble finding a shop that will mount the tire (probably have to do it myself), but I'd like to see what it looks like on a motorcycle and talk "in person" to someone with experience.

Just a quick question, is anyone going to the rally a Darksider? I'm having trouble finding a shop that will mount the tire (probably have to do it myself), but I'd like to see what it looks like on a motorcycle and talk "in person" to someone with experience.
Lots and lots of darkside videos on YouTube. You will need to fabricate a thinner rear brake arm so the car tire has clearance.

Lots and lots of darkside videos on YouTube. You will need to fabricate a thinner rear brake arm so the car tire has clearance.
I saw several of the videos today, and I found a farkle that would replace the brake arm.

https://www.farklemasters.com/fjr/carmines-custom-cycles-fjr-ct-rear-brake-bar/

I guess seeing it in person would be the ideal perspective. I was just worried about replacing my first rear tire with a CT and then taking a trip to the most twisty roads I know. If it was just me on the bike I might say yay, but with the Mrs. riding along I've got to take her personal safety into consideration. Go NAFO!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ill be there, and I'm on my 4th car tire. My suggestion is that you go ahead and install the modified brake strut, but run your favorite motorcycle tire. Vacation time is precious, don't experiment with it running an unknown (to you) handling characteristic tire. The time to do that is at home while running familiar roads.

See you there.

Brodie

😃

[thread hijack!] Back in my VTX1800 days I was tired of wearing out rear motorcycle tires so frequently ... constantly changing tires every 4 or 5,000 miles. So I went to a Car Tire and absolutely loved the long distance mileage I could achieve with it. Then I got sick of the "transition" of going from the flat-side of the CT to its steep edge so I could accomplish a turn. So then I went back to a motorcycle tire. Then I got sick of wearing out rear motorcycle tires again so frequently. Anyway. You get the picture. Love hate relationship for both. I think in a perfect world I'd have an extra rear FJR wheel with a CT mounted on it that I could swap out for a long distance rides and then put the motorcycle wheel/tire back on when I got home for the lower mile trips.

I can tell you this: in hard turns - for all practical purposes - car tires hold traction just as well as motorcycle tires. It's just the **ker-plunk** transition of going from the CT flat side to getting it up on its edge that gets so tiring (no pun intended). Wouldn't it be cool to have the uniform motorcycle tire shape with the car tire mileage? Deep down in my cynical head I think we are all being ripped off by the motorcycle tire manufacturers but that's for another forum thread.

I think this is "someone" from here:

IMG_8356B.jpg

Ill be there, and I'm on my 4th car tire. My suggestion is that you go ahead and install the modified brake strut, but run your favorite motorcycle tire. Vacation time is precious, don't experiment with it running an unknown (to you) handling characteristic tire. The time to do that is at home while running familiar roads.
See you there.

Brodie
Solid advise.

I'll be there and would let you ride it.
Very nice Fred.

I'm not ashamed to say I will not be putting my FJR into any corners like scooter! See you guys at the rally :)

I guess I don't understand the truck/trailer storage question. It looks like there is plenty of room in the parking lot of the hotel, no?
Bob is like the Harley guys. He trailers to somewhere close, then unloads his bike, rides an hour and shows up at the hotel looking all road weary. Problem is, that's just his normal look.

Ducking and running for cover, cuz I KNOW Bob has way more miles on that '07 than I do, and know he rides his ass off. However, I just can't seem to let go of the chance to give him shit.
Okay, I was just curious. If I make it up there across the boring area of west and north Texas, it'll be pulling a trailer, and I have absolutely no pride!

Registered, Room Booked, have an extra bed to share, will post in the Room Share Thread.

Figured out I can do this before the Pirates arrive in Sturgis and before we open the Memphis Shades booth on August 2nd.

Having had to bail on CFR I'm looking forward to riding the Southern Rockies

I will be coming to the gathering, my first NAFO event. Limited vacation time means I will set off from Columbia MD early (3:30 ish) Thursday morning, timing to miss the traffic at Columbus, Indianapolis, St Louis and hopefully through Kansas City, stopping somewhere after Topeka. Hopefully the weather is non-biblical! I hope to arrive Friday late afternoon.

I went out to Trinity site, Meteor Crater last year so this is a similar similar length but a more comfortable seat.

I look forward to meeting like minds who "get it", see you there.

I might visit Pikes Peak on the way back on Sunday.

Keep banging the rocks together.

Wizard37 posted: <snipped> I went out to Trinity site, Meteor Crater last year so this is a similar similar length but a more comfortable seat. I look forward to meeting like minds who "get it", see you there.

TRINITY SITE?!? [envy of the highest order] Place is only open two days a year ... obviously run by Communists. Talk to me in Montrose, please! Trinity Site is very, very high on my geek-a-zoid bucket list.

Be sure to register, book your rooms, and order shirts soon, cutoff dates are approaching....

Wizard37 posted: <snipped> I went out to Trinity site, Meteor Crater last year so this is a similar similar length but a more comfortable seat. I look forward to meeting like minds who "get it", see you there.

TRINITY SITE?!? [envy of the highest order] Place is only open two days a year ... obviously run by Communists. Talk to me in Montrose, please! Trinity Site is very, very high on my geek-a-zoid bucket list.
Off topic, but a gee whiz....I was on the first nuclear capable US warship to pull into Nagasaki Japan, interesting museums and interactions with the locals. Would still like to see the Trinity Site though.