NAFO 2016 Official Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
End of July works for me...I think.

I haven't had my FJR down in that area since it was new when I did the LOE Rally in 2008
bike.gif

Has anyone stayed at Best Western Durango rated 4/5, rates starting at $81 a night.
I have a retired friend in Durango. I'll see if he has any suggestions.
Muchas Gracias mi Amigo Roberto, Big Dan (my SW-FOG Co-Rallymaster for many years) is going to check out Pagosa Springs; he lived in PS, long time ago! JSNS!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33397-d83139-Reviews-BEST_WESTERN_PLUS_Rio_Grande_Inn-Durango_Colorado.html FYB, this is the Downtown Best Western Durango; it is within walking distance of the best bars and many restaurants, not sure of secure motorcycle parking and it starts out a $99 a night. JSNS, great if your friend can check this one out ese!

Last edited by a moderator:
From that link Don there is a picture of a group of motorcycles parked at the hotel. secure motorcycle parking? I don't understand the question?.

That's the Ignacio run, and I took that into consideration. No official pirate gatherings, that I know of, during that time.

My wife booooo'd at Taos. Said it's "Boring," so I'm thinking Durango is the ticket. I just need 15 minutes of free time. Thought today would be perfect until my phone rang at 0830 and our second in command started with a smart assed comment which led to an ass chewing that I don't hope to repeat.

As my career has progressed, I have gone from being yelled at by Sergeants and Lieutenants, to getting calls from the #2 guy and getting my ass chewed. Not once, not twice,but three times, including a meeting. AND, the fucked up thing? Turns out I'M right. He's not gonna like what the memo he's requiring me to write says. I found out he lied to me about how some things are done and knows what my unit did is exactly in line with what he approved a month ago. He has a hard-on for one of my guys, and takes it out on the entire unit, which fucks up my whole day...

All that being said, I'll work on hotels, or get my retired Irish guy to do it, and we're going to focus on Durango. It's right off the Million Dollar highway. Easy ride to Telluride. Nice rides to Aspen, SouthFork, Gunnison and Pagosa. That should work very well.

I hear you AJ. My brother works in the government. I can't say to much but he worked hard justifying a million dollar system for the state but it wasn't the one his boss wanted. It would have been the better deal and better system for the taxpayer but you know how that goes. Now he goes to work and does nothing and is waiting for his retirement to roll around. He's pretty much being shit on because he didn't play ball. Even though you try to do the right thing it's hard sometimes.

Good luck,

Dave

AJ while you have been fucking around and pissing off your fellow po-po, I have been doing actual NAFO 2016 work and I strongly suggest with irrefutable evidence that Durango is the desired location.

While Toas is incredible, it'd be boring for jet setters and swingers such as KJ and Marty; Pagosa Springs is quaint and Petey could go antiquing, other than spectacular Wolf Creek Pass Riding is OK!

We should concentrate on Durango, having the incredible Million Dollar Highway right out the back door is a huge draw. Bars and restaurants are all over downtown, no need for taxis or rental vans.

Thanks, Mr. Bill. That is interesting. I have not ridden the Dugway and I would like to do it at least once. Another reason to attend NAFO 2016.

I know why the train guy wants Durango
rolleyes.gif

The Moki Dugway, a little bit of dirt riding, is within reach of Durango too.

Day ride to Moki

3d4a82536e0507baafc446beea5bc896.jpg
Nice picture but its not a picture of the Moki Dugway.....its the Shaffer Trail that starts in the north end of the Canyonlands Nat. Park.
OH NO MR BILL

Thanks I'll change the picture. I've never been there, but it's been on my bucket list for years. I thought the ruts in the road looked too deep.

Thanks, Mr. Bill. That is interesting. I have not ridden the Dugway and I would like to do it at least once. Another reason to attend NAFO 2016.
Greg,

S76 has his bike together and forgot about the pain and suffering of riding to the rockies in 2010 with me. He wants to do an epic ride next year and NAFO would fit that bill.

Greg,

S76 has his bike together and forgot about the pain and suffering of riding to the rockies in 2010 with me. He wants to do an epic ride next year and NAFO would fit that bill.
Excellent. I may ride out with you guys. Paul is not sure he wants to cross the plains states ever again, but he may change his mind by next summer.

Greg,

Excellent. I may ride out with you guys. Paul is not sure he wants to cross the plains states ever again, but he may change his mind by next summer.
Greg,

That would be great. It may just be the two of us. I'll work on S76

I've told you before I love riding Kansas and Colorado high plains. As long as it's back county roads and not interstate. Around here you never get to exercise the 1300cc motor for very long. Out there you can open it up for hours to blow the carbon out

From that link Don there is a picture of a group of motorcycles parked at the hotel. secure motorcycle parking? I don't understand the question?.
Can we place the FJR's in a location where Canadian Newfies or Floridians can't steal them, eh! JSNS, Banditos ese!

Actually Tom I did some research, the Best Western Rio Grande Inn is on a dead end street with US 160 right behind it!

Last edited by a moderator: