NAFO 2016 Official Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="S76" data-cid="1271132" data-time="1447731173"><p>

Hmmm. Mapquest says 2250 miles, 35 hours and 50 minutes.<br />

<br />

So.....OK. Should we do that in 1 day or 2?</p></blockquote>

Mr S76

I found a shortcut! 2500 miles so we'll make it two 🐵

Hmmmm....late to the party here. I gotta check in here more often!

Not sure if we'll make this, I don't think I have the time left. We're scheduled to drive to Montery (Pebble Beach Concourse) the next weekend with my Coupe and a bunch of other BMW Classic types. I've had that locked in since July. I should have the Hondapotumus in SF by then, maybe we can sneak up for the weekend.

I'm in if we get to ride the "Moki"
If you ride it uphill (south to north) turn your traction control off if you have it. My ex-Super Tenere's made a couple of climbs on the washboards "interesting" when I forgot and left it working.

Is there any interest in some dual sport exploration of the area? I'd be very temped to drag the DRZ out there in July...

Rushes...Spklbuk....LeeDavis....
Yes. Count me in.
I am pretty certain that I will be taking the Tenere to NAFO. I can not pass up the opportunity to ride the Moki Dugway and the Million Dollar Hwy. Or maybe I could trailer the FJR and XR650L since the Tenere isn't really suited for serious dual sport exploration at my skill level on dirt.

Edit: oh shit I didn't realize the Moki was that far away from Durango and that only three miles were unpaved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going up the Dugway doesn't look at more difficult or scary than going up Pike's Peak before it was paved. I'm in.
The first time I rode the Dugway one of my riding partners said it was much easier than riding up Pike's Peak. The second time I rode the Dugway I was leading a group of 14 Goldwings, half riding 2-up and/or pulling trailers, and most afraid of riding their wings down a dirt road. I figured if they knew what was coming they wouldn't try it and it was a 100 mile detour to go around so......I didn't tell anyone what was coming. By the time the group realized what was happening it was easier to keep going up rather than trying to stop, turn around, and ride downhill but I certainly got a scolding over the CBs. No one had any problems making it to the top and it was one of the highlights of the trip.

The fun thing is riding north to south when you have that ohshit moment when the ground disappears in front of you.

Once I get past next week I'm good, sort of. Honestly, the Lily thing isn't my deal, and most of the fallout from Dan has died down. I'm posting crap here, but to have the time to research anything is crazy talk. After Christmas is I guess when things should normalize and I can spend a couple hours getting things nailed down.

Unless you boys and girls just want to go with Don's option at $200 per night. Holy shit...I won't even be there for that kind of money.

I figure as we get closer to Christmas all planning/ thoughts of the rally will be dropped until the new year. Just wanted to stir the pot a little.

$200 a night? ouch!

I keep playing with routes there and back. Need to pick off a couple more states out that way.

I figure as we get closer to Christmas all planning/ thoughts of the rally will be dropped until the new year. Just wanted to stir the pot a little.
$200 a night? ouch!

I keep playing with routes there and back. Need to pick off a couple more states out that way.
https://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/selectRoom.do Unfortunately mi Amigo Tomaso, Best Western Durango Plus is $190 a night for You and Pam at a Senior Rate.

For AJ and Miss C it'd be $210 a night, that's cost prohibitive for any young couple attending NAFO, even FJRay can't afford that kind of Rally expense!

Well, NAFO or not I am heading west the weekend before the proposed NAFO and will be in the general vicinity. Going to be a milestone trip for me...my first cross country ride with my 17 year old son. He will be riding in my 6 on the new FJ-09 we picked up this fall. He is gung ho enough he wants to try for a IBA license plate backer and knock out his first SaddleSore 1000. So I am going to oblige him. We will recreate the Radman 1000 route. We are heading to Moab first...going to do a little exploring on bike and foot. We are going to visit the Mi Vida Mine and make a day long venture out to Druid Arch. I am also planning a little 350+ mile day making the loop from Moab on 191 to 46 to 90 to 141 up to Grand Junction and back to Moab on 70 and 128. Plenty to see along that route, we may take a short hike or two along the way. We'll wrap it up in Moab with a day trip into the desert on ATVs. From there I am currently planning two agendas, one to NAFO in Durango...if that falls through we are going to Springdale for some awesome riding and hiking in the Zion NP area...I am going to take him up to Angel's Landing. I hope he can stay up with the old guy...

So if you are in the Utah/Western Colorado area and see an old guy on a metallic monster and a young buck on a blood red FJ-09....it's probably us!

$200+ a day for a room is a little high for a lot of us. What about a more central location in Colorado, like Gunnison where the room rates will be a lot cheaper. I stayed at The Western Motel in Gunnison last August for $95 including taxes. Probably could get a better group rate. It's an older motel but was clean. Gunnison is also more central for choosing routes for the day rides. It also would be a little cooler, weather wise than Durango.

$200+ a day for a room is a little high for a lot of us. What about a more central location in Colorado, like Gunnison where the room rates will be a lot cheaper. I stayed at The Western Motel in Gunnison last August for $95 including taxes. Probably could get a better group rate. It's an older motel but was clean. Gunnison is also more central for choosing routes for the day rides. It also would be a little cooler, weather wise than Durango.
AJ said he's working on the hotel. Give him a little time to work some magic...

O.K. Marty, I understand. It was just a suggestion in case things didn't work out for Durango. I'm not unappreciative of all the work the volunteers do to organize these things and I hope I didn't appear as if I was making demands.

Yeah, if there ever was a sweet talker, it's HRZ. But it takes him a while because he speaks so slow....
no.gif