NAFO #3 - Rally in the Rockies!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ray e-mailed me with some preliminary plans that include trailering across the flat boring bits until we start hitting into the bumps around Calgary.....

Sooo, the good stuff starts West of Calgary.

Any more tips before I burn out my mapping software? ;)
Pm me your e-mail and I can forward you a Garmin gdb file of a 2150 km loop that will take you up to the Columbia Ice Fields and then Jasper. The southern part of the loop features Kamloops, Princeton, Osoyoos (good wine area), Rossland and then looping back to Castlegar. Give yourself an extra three days minimum to allow for stops and photo ops. You may want to take a side trip into Banff and Lake Louise. I only put you on the Trans-Canada long enough so you can see Rogers Pass.

2012-Jasper-Route-L.jpg
yamafitter, since it's our FJR Forum Dogpile Friday: I printed out your map and laid it on the screen of the little black box on Gisele's dash, but it wouldn't go in there!

What am I doing wrong here? Many thanks, in advance! Tus Bueno Amigo, Senor Papa Chuy Viejo Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray e-mailed me with some preliminary plans that include trailering across the flat boring bits until we start hitting into the bumps around Calgary. Jeff will be too busy with the rally to notice my rig parked in his driveway for a few weeks while we go play in the mountains. After CFR / NAFO I'm still deciding between seeing a good friend up in Hazelton and then getting Hyderized or pointing the FJR south for a servicing at GP Suspensions and then heading to Northern Cali followed by a loop back up along the Divide. There is also the ADV Rider D2D at Dawson City, Yukon around that time. Might be able to work that in. Decisions, decisions.....

Really only two choices going west. My intent would be to avoid the TransCan slab, and I've seen Lake Louise too many times. However, my preference is to go part way and cut to Radium Hot Springs and on down to Creston. Hwy 3 is much better IMHO. The good stuff is in the Kootenays to keep us busy for a few days..... Castelgar area all the way up to Nakusp/Revelstoke, etc.... let's see what the disorganizers have for routes. Lots of time.

Y'all are more than welcome to drop rigs at Casa Griff if Jeff has no room in the driveway. I reckon we could gather the eastern clans here in Calgary for a pre-CFR steak 'n beer fest and then wander over to Castlegar via whatever route seems most fun.

Agree with Ray... Best avoid the T-Can through Banff to the extent possible. Best to plod along to Castle Junction/93 south then down to Radium and on from there.

Griff

yamafitter, since it's our FJR Forum Dogpile Friday: I printed out your map and laid it on the screen of the little black box on Gisele's dash, but it wouldn't go in there!

What am I doing wrong here? Many thanks, in advance! Tus Bueno Amigo, Senor Papa Chuy Viejo Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
I think you pushed the self-destruct button. You had better stand back.

You also should have gotten the optional dumbass detector. With this BMW $30,000,000 option the bike will automatically detect if the rider doesn't have a clue and will go on full 'OTTO Pilot' mode.Just remember to use the manual inflation nozzle located at the belt-line.

Y'all are more than welcome to drop rigs at Casa Griff if Jeff has no room in the driveway. I reckon we could gather the eastern clans here in Calgary for a pre-CFR steak 'n beer fest and then wander over to Castlegar via whatever route seems most fun.

Agree with Ray... Best avoid the T-Can through Banff to the extent possible. Best to plod along to Castle Junction/93 south then down to Radium and on from there.

Griff
Mmmmmmm, steak and beer. :dribble:

I will probably slab it across western NY and Ohio and then head north through Michigan and west across the Upper Peninsula and stay on one side or the other of the Canadian/US border after that. Still have plenty of time to plan a route. I'm still working on routing for the rest of this year's rallies. :eek:

Don sounds like you are getting this thing together Justin and I are really looking forward to this trip with Seth and Daddy Don

Steve
Thanks, Steve! We are also really looking forward to this trip with You and Justin. I believe that you are riding up to British Columbia with Mopsy, Flopsy and Cottontail. Mopsy being Fairlaner, Flopsy is dj bill and naturally Roy as Cottontail. So our Foursome Ride will start after staying together at whatever lodging the Canuckian Cartel selects for us in Castlegar.

The only lodgings which are critical, that I highly recommend that we make advance reservations for, are the ones that bracket the Ferry Sailings: Prince Rupert, since the Ferry sails at 6am and we want a hotel as close as possible to the docks. Port Hardy, due to the Ferry arriving at 11pm at night, we don't want to be riding around aimlessly looking for hotels at that hour. And in Victoria we definitely want a hotel close to the docks, because we want to catch the first sailing at 7am back to Estados Unidos.

Rest of the nights out on the Canadian roads we can stop and stay wherever we want to, giving us some sightseeing flexibility. It's going to be a fun ride together, can't wait to see the polar bears!

You will LOVE the ferry ride from Rupert to Hardy. Have an extra storage card for your cameras handy. Jealous....

Port Hardy? I wouldn't stay there LMAO...geez....Ok, maybe the QuarterDeck Marina/Resort, (it has a decent restaurant/bar and good parking, right on the water), but OMG. ack. The Pioneer Inn is old, a bit off the beaten track, but lots of good parking right in front of your room. If you stay downtown Hardy, LOCK up everything...twice.

Port MNeill is not far from Hardy. Black Bear resort is new and has a spa (yanno, should you feel the need for a foot rub). Just down the hill is Sam's Sports Bar for eats etc. Although at that hour, you prolly don't want to be toying with deer or bear on the hwy in the pitch black. Ok, even I might stay in Hardy in this circ...

In Victoria, the Days Inn is right across the street from the ferry dock you seek, and has secure MC parking in the back (as that is where the lobby faces). It can be a bit noisy as it has quite a popular lil sports bar with a patio on the harbor side, but it's proximity to all the Inner Harbour attractions is well worth that lil inconvenience. You are a block to the Parliament Buildings, The Empress Hotel, The BC Museum. Also, it's just a short walk to Irish Times pub, yanno...should you be needing some good Irish grub and spirits. (the corned beef brisket and cabbage is very tasty)

Ray e-mailed me with some preliminary plans that include trailering across the flat boring bits until we start hitting into the bumps around Calgary.....

Pm me your e-mail and I can forward you a Garmin gdb file of a 2150 km loop that will take you up to the Columbia Ice Fields and then Jasper. The southern part of the loop features Kamloops, Princeton, Osoyoos (good wine area), Rossland and then looping back to Castlegar. Give yourself an extra three days minimum to allow for stops and photo ops. You may want to take a side trip into Banff and Lake Louise. I only put you on the Trans-Canada long enough so you can see Rogers Pass.

2012-Jasper-Route-L.jpg
ooohhhh, you need a map too.....so close....very close, but missing some really tasty twisties with that route

:eek:

but it's proximity to all the Inner Harbour attractions is well worth that lil inconvenience. You are a block to the Parliament Buildings, The Empress Hotel, The BC Museum. Also, it's just a short walk to Irish Times pub, yanno...should you be needing some good Irish grub and spirits. (the corned beef brisket and cabbage is very tasty)
We got a guided walking tour of the downtown Victoria area from Rob's uncle Aldo (great tour guide!) and this area is just fantastic. But I just can't see Don playing with his shelieligh having High Tea at the Empress Tea Room.

Trust Barb on this though, it's worth killing at least a few hours walking the area.

Bill's route has merits too, just remember if that works on the way out from Cowboy City, we do have to come back a different way, and I am easy (& cheap, but not as cheap as Don... him and another Irishman invented copper wire while arguing over a penny on an Irish soccer pitch!!).

Griff, I'm in for whatever. We can argue the routes over steak and beer. Is k.d. lang coming along to apprise us on the benefits of Albertan beef? Maybe we can take some prairie oysters to Castelgar as treats for the 'Mericans, as they might want a memento from the Calgary Stampede. And I'm not talking about the music from the namesake band.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/History/RockyMtnOyster.htm

Don sounds like you are getting this thing together Justin and I are really looking forward to this trip with Seth and Daddy Don

Steve
Thanks, Steve! We are also really looking forward to this trip with You and Justin. I believe that you are riding up to British Columbia with Mopsy, Flopsy and Cottontail. Mopsy being Fairlaner, Flopsy is dj bill and naturally Roy as Cottontail. So our Foursome Ride will start after staying together at whatever lodging the Canuckian Cartel selects for us in Castlegar.

The only lodgings which are critical, that I highly recommend that we make advance reservations for, are the ones that bracket the Ferry Sailings: Prince Rupert, since the Ferry sails at 6am and we want a hotel as close as possible to the docks. Port Hardy, due to the Ferry arriving at 11pm at night, we don't want to be riding around aimlessly looking for hotels at that hour. And in Victoria we definitely want a hotel close to the docks, because we want to catch the first sailing at 7am back to Estados Unidos.

Rest of the nights out on the Canadian roads we can stop and stay wherever we want to, giving us some sightseeing flexibility. It's going to be a fun ride together, can't wait to see the polar bears!

You will LOVE the ferry ride from Rupert to Hardy. Have an extra storage card for your cameras handy. Jealous....

Port Hardy? I wouldn't stay there LMAO...geez....Ok, maybe the QuarterDeck Marina/Resort, (it has a decent restaurant/bar and good parking, right on the water), but OMG. ack. The Pioneer Inn is old, a bit off the beaten track, but lots of good parking right in front of your room. If you stay downtown Hardy, LOCK up everything...twice.

Port MNeill is not far from Hardy. Black Bear resort is new and has a spa (yanno, should you feel the need for a foot rub). Just down the hill is Sam's Sports Bar for eats etc. Although at that hour, you prolly don't want to be toying with deer or bear on the hwy in the pitch black. Ok, even I might stay in Hardy in this circ...

In Victoria, the Days Inn is right across the street from the ferry dock you seek, and has secure MC parking in the back (as that is where the lobby faces). It can be a bit noisy as it has quite a popular lil sports bar with a patio on the harbor side, but it's proximity to all the Inner Harbour attractions is well worth that lil inconvenience. You are a block to the Parliament Buildings, The Empress Hotel, The BC Museum. Also, it's just a short walk to Irish Times pub, yanno...should you be needing some good Irish grub and spirits. (the corned beef brisket and cabbage is very tasty)
Great Information Barb, Thank You; +1 Gunny, we will follow your recommendations!

Hell's Bell's Darling, we will follow you anywhere! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

but it's proximity to all the Inner Harbour attractions is well worth that lil inconvenience. You are a block to the Parliament Buildings, The Empress Hotel, The BC Museum. Also, it's just a short walk to Irish Times pub, yanno...should you be needing some good Irish grub and spirits. (the corned beef brisket and cabbage is very tasty)
We got a guided walking tour of the downtown Victoria area from Rob's uncle Aldo (great tour guide!) and this area is just fantastic. But I just can't see Don playing with his shelieligh having High Tea at the Empress Tea Room.

Trust Barb on this though, it's worth killing at least a few hours walking the area.
Believe it or not Brother Bungie, I stayed at The Empress Hotel with my first wife Judy!

Even had my ZZ Top Beard at the time, down to my belt buckle! A Sharp Dressed Man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-y33Uq6HGs

This is awesome! You Canuckistanians put on an absolute 1st class event (CFR '09 - Best. Rally. Ever.), and Southeastern BC is some of the most glorious riding country in North America. I'll definitely be there..!! (Though perhaps not on an FJR... :whistle: )

ooohhhh, you need a map too.....so close....very close, but missing some really tasty twisties with that route

I'm always ready to learn and I don't think you can see enough detail in the map I posted so let me explain my thinkin' on this one.

Those with Mapsource can follow along...

We start out of Castlegar and hit the Salmo - Creston pass to get us over to to 3a and up the east side of Kootenay Lake. I think this is a pretty fun little stretch. You then pop over on the ferry and continue up to Kelso where the fun really starts, 31a over to New Denver. From there we continue north up to Nakusp, home of 2009 CFR and keep following the Columbia River up to Revelstoke. I was then thinking the folks will want to check out Rogers Pass for the scenery over to Golden and then I was going to take them south to Radium Hot Springs where you would turn left into Kootenay National Park and run 93 North all the way through the Columbia Ice Fields and then on to Jasper. It's after this point where I think the route could use some massaging. I just kind of head west on 16 and then south on 5 to get down to Kamloops. The 5a south from Kamloops looks good on Mapsource but I don't have firsthand experience with it. All I know is that 3b into Rossland is fun and anytime I can get to Nelson I always make a stop, That's just probably the flower child in me talking though.

I'm always ready to learn and I don't think you can see enough detail in the map I posted so let you explain my thinkin' on this one.

We start out of Castlegar and hit the Salmo - Creston pass to get us over to to 3a and up the east side of Kootenay Lake. I think this is a pretty fun little stretch. You then pop over on the ferry and continue up to Kelso where the fun really starts, 31a over to New Denver. From there we continue north up to Nakusp, home of 2009 CFR and keep following the Columbia River up to Revelstoke. I was then thinking the folks will want to check out Rogers Pass for the scenery over to Golden and then I was going to take them south to Radium Hot Springs where you would turn left into Kootenay National Park and run 93 North all the way through the Columbia Ice Fields and then on to Jasper. It's after this point where I think the route could use some massaging. I just kind of head west on 16 and then south on 5 to get down to Kamloops. The 5a south from Kamloops looks good on Mapsource but I don't have firsthand experience with it. All I know is that 3b into Rossland is fun and anytime I can get to Nelson I always make a stop, That's just probably the flower child in me talking though.
Methinks when based in Castelgar, the event riding will be along Kootenay Lake, Nakusp, Revelstoke, Kelowna, Nelson, etc., etc. but every bit of it is worth repeating for a ride home.

I'm always ready to learn and I don't think you can see enough detail in the map I posted so let you explain my thinkin' on this one.

Mi Amigo yamafitter: Since you are the computer map genius and Bust is the sheep expert: If The Jorstin's and the Stanley's attempted to blend some, or all, of your routing above into our run to Hyder, how many additional miles and hours do you think we would incur doing so?

The proposed itinerary I posted in Reply #64 and sent to Steve-O was generated by MapQuest using shortest times and distances. If we could see more spectacular scenery on our way to Hyder from Castlegar, without racking up outrageous additional miles and hours, that would be great!

Sunday, June 24: Castlegar to Clearwater, BC; on the Yellowhead South Highway.

Monday, June 25: Clearwater to Kitwanga, BC; on the Yellowhead Highway.

Tuesday, June 26: Kitwanga to Hyder, Alaska; on the Cassiar Highway.

....is fun and anytime I can get to Nelson I always make a stop, That's just probably the flower child in me talking though.
Methinks when based in Castelgar, the event riding will be along Kootenay Lake, Nakusp, Revelstoke, Kelowna, Nelson, etc., etc. but every bit of it is worth repeating for a ride home.
Wait a minute you two Hosers, what is this constant reference to Nelson and to flower power?

Is Nelson home to killer B.C. homegrown? Don't be holding out on your Papa Chuy Viejo now!

....is fun and anytime I can get to Nelson I always make a stop, That's just probably the flower child in me talking though.
Wait a minute you two Hosers, what is this constant reference to Nelson and to flower power?

Is Nelson home to killer B.C. homegrown? Don't be holding out on your Papa Chuy Viejo now!
When all the Hippies got priced out of the Lower Mainland they ended up in Nelson.

:drag: :nyam: :secret:

When all the Hippies got priced out of the Lower Mainland they ended up in Nelson.

So why isn't Old Michael O'Keeffe in Nelson? It's not that far from Manitoba, eh!

So why isn't Old Michael O'Keeffe in Nelson? It's not that far from Manitoba, eh!
Too stoned and got lost??

:stunned:

The proposed itinerary I posted in Reply #64 and sent to Steve-O was generated by MapQuest using shortest times and distances. If we could see more spectacular scenery on our way to Hyder from Castlegar, without racking up outrageous additional miles and hours, that would be great!
I'm thinking you may want to follow the part that gets you up to Jasper and then follow 16 West to Prince George and continue on to the Alaska Hwy turning on 37a to get to Hyder.

You would then backtrack down to the bottom of the Alaska Hwy and then continue west on 16 to get to Prince Rupert.

As far as extra mileage I can only hazard a guess at this time but I would give it at least 5 days to do the Castlegar, Jasper, Prince George, Hyder, Prince Rupert leg of the trip. It's not worth rushing around and not taking the time to enjoy the scenery in my view. My version is 2633 km from Castlegar to Hyder and then back down to Prince Rupert. It would add an extra day to your trip.

Steve

Yes if the stars align, I will ride up with the amigos but if not, I will still keep the option open to ride up with you and Seth I still have not decided yet. But if we met you guys it would be in cedar Utah correct