Name That Place Game

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it was a cool visit Griff, did Wheatie give you the enguneer tour?  

As long as we are into lots of metal. How about this...

I thought I recognized those beams the first second I saw them and then the other bridge in the background confirmed it. It's US 60/62 bridge crossing the Mississippi in Cairo, IL. That thing has been under construction for ever it seems after closing it for a year in 2015. I've sat there in 95 degree heat for 15 minutes waiting for them to let traffic through so I don't have any pleasant memories of this bridge. I do remember crossing it and the Cape Girardeau Mississippi river bridge as a new teenage driver in a car and being scared to death. 

Yes indeed.

Funny thing is I took this in 14 riding my wing from the south to north into Ciro on my way to EOM and as you see no traffic or construction. It was so nice to slow down and enjoy the structure and the Mississippi. One of my favorite bridge crossings. A quick right in Ciro over the Ohio into Kentucky.  I was blown away that the Ohio was so much bigger (width) than the mighty Mississippi.

A great day (as always) riding across the states.

Yes indeed.

Funny thing is I took this in 14 riding my wing from the south to north into Ciro on my way to EOM and as you see no traffic or construction. It was so nice to slow down and enjoy the structure and the Mississippi. One of my favorite bridge crossings. A quick right in Ciro over the Ohio into Kentucky.  I was blown away that the Ohio was so much bigger (width) than the mighty Mississippi.

A great day (as always) riding across the states.
Riding to EOM would make any bridge a good memory. I've tried a couple times and have it on the radar in WV for this year, but chances are about 20%.

Here is the next place:

I haven't seen Redfish Hunter on this thread but he was the one who alerted me to this spot. It was very surreal.

Gooseneck Canyon near Mexican Hat in SE Utah (I doubled checked the location, as what I see in my mind isn't always the actual location 😄). It is quite a place!

Gooseneck Canyon near Mexican Hat in SE Utah (I doubled checked the location, as what I see in my mind isn't always the actual location 😄). It is quite a place!
Exactamundo! They call this Goosenecks State Park. Everyone seems to know Mexican Hat Rock, but we weren't too impressed with that. This overlook is just 6.5 miles from there. You take 163 up to 261 and over on 316. I don't remember having to pay to go to the overlook but it looks like it's $5 now. There isn't anything there except a toilet and the view.  As I remember it, there weren't any guardrails or anything, you just walk a short path and you are the edge of a bizarre otherworldly place. 

It's not beautiful like Horseshoe Bend or the Grand Canyon, but it's interestingly weird. You can't get a feel for how far up you are at all but you can tell it's deep. The river is the San Juan River 53 miles (as the crow flies) before it joins the Colorado and later forms Lake Powell, then eventually the Grand Canyon.

Tammy did not like it as she said it looked too much like snakes, but I thought it was one of the more interesting views. I got some interesting shots, but couldn't really capture the area in a picture.

FredRider, you are up!

Exactamundo! They call this Goosenecks State Park. Everyone seems to know Mexican Hat Rock, but we weren't too impressed with that. This overlook is just 6.5 miles from there. You take 163 up to 261 and over on 316. I don't remember having to pay to go to the overlook but it looks like it's $5 now. There isn't anything there except a toilet and the view.  As I remember it, there weren't any guardrails or anything, you just walk a short path and you are the edge of a bizarre otherworldly place. 

It's not beautiful like Horseshoe Bend or the Grand Canyon, but it's interestingly weird. You can't get a feel for how far up you are at all but you can tell it's deep. The river is the San Juan River 53 miles (as the crow flies) before it joins the Colorado and later forms Lake Powell, then eventually the Grand Canyon.

Tammy did not like it as she said it looked too much like snakes, but I thought it was one of the more interesting views. I got some interesting shots, but couldn't really capture the area in a picture.

FredRider, you are up!
That's a great picture! (The toilet wasn't there when I saw them in 2015.😄)

I think Utah's parks have the best photographic points in the US.

I think Utah's parks have the best photographic "points" in the US.

So I think that was a hint this is Utah.  If this is where I think it is, that little road in the bottom is the rim road that would be my #1 choice to ride if I had a dirt bike. I have a steel plate in my ankle from my last time on a dirt bike so that might not actually happen. Not guessing yet, as I've been hogging the thread.

So I think that was a hint this is Utah.  If this is where I think it is, that little road in the bottom is the rim road that would be my #1 choice to ride if I had a dirt bike. I have a steel plate in my ankle from my last time on a dirt bike so that might not actually happen. Not guessing yet, as I've been hogging the thread.
it's an overlook in Canyonlands NP

Technically no 😉. It does overlook Canyonlands NP, but it isn't in the National Park
Then I was wrong, too. I thought that road below in the pic was the White Rim trail down in Canyonlands. I hate it when my wife is right and I am wrong. I showed her the pic and she guessed what is likely the right answer and I said, "No that's Canyonlands." 

Excellent! Take it away!
The road at the bottom is Utah 142 / Shafer Road. It also looks like an amazing dirt road. Fast forward to 2:00 in this video I found:

As I said earlier, I should have recognized FredRider's pic as Dead Horse Point. It is probably the best vista in Canyonlands even though it is not technically in Canyonlands National Park, but a separate Utah State Park, so park passes don't work and it's $10 for motorcycles. It's also known as the scene where they filmed Thelma and Louise driving off the cliff.

Both times we have been here we went in the early evening so we could be there at sunset. These pics are from 2015. 

Auburn, it's your turn if you want to post a place!

znNgQNA.jpg

from our SS1000 run

That's me in middle and I'd be guessing after 11 years! 1,156 mile in 18 hr's. But I'm thinking I've been there twice.

We felt a bit tired at the end of the day.

DSCN5594_zpskuhd1tez.jpg

Latest posts