NY - Adirondack's Ride June 14th 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pencil this in to your calendars (if you're interested):
Jim and I (aka ZOOOMM and herfjr) are putting together an FJR ride for Saturday June 14th, 2008. We don't have all specifics worked out yet but here's what we're thinking.....

We're figuring leaving Circle Diner in Latham, NY at 8:30am. If you want breakfast/coffee, get there earlier. Plenty of parking at the diner.

There are several lodging accomodations nearby too. We will post them as the time gets closer.

The ride will include parts of Sacandaga Lake, up through the Adirondacks and lunch at Long Lake. Then a coffee stop in Lake Placid (Home of 1980 Winter Olympics). We'll be heading back along the west side of Lake George, stopping for dinner in Bolton Landing and then heading back to Latham.

This ride is a full day ride. Ride at your own pace.......hope you can keep up :clapping: just kidding (sort of).

I indicated that this is a 360 mile loop, however we can provide a couple of shorter variations for those who may want to head back sooner.

Any thoughts?

How about a longer variation-- am thinking of heading to the Ads and then over to Mt. Washington about that time. Will be leaving from Toronto area though. Stu

So, out of all of these folks, who are the bike-to-bike communications users?

Iris, weren't you supposed to send me some updated maps?

Cannot wait for this ride. Most people that I tell about this trip either think that it is awesome that I am going... or I must be crazy.

I like to think that it's awesome that I'm going.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cannot wait for this ride. Most people that I tell about this trip either think that it is awesome that I am going... or I must be crazy.
I think it's awesome that you are going!! :yahoo:

What's not so awesome is it looks like I'm going to miss it after all.

I was thinking that I would not need to go to the New England regional track meet in Maine that weekend because we have no jumpers in the top 6. But now one of my girl high jumpers has turned things on considerably and will likely come in #1 or #2 in the state.

Of course I won't know for sure until after the state meet the weekend before, but it isn't looking so good for the ride right now. :angry:

I'll post up one way or the other the week before.

Heidi,

First, you don't need maps. Just keep up enough so you don't lose site of the bike in front of you. This also means don't be the one behind Iris.

;)

I am totally stoked for this ride.

Also, I think it's really awesome you're coming up for it, but I also think you're crazy. They really don't have much to do with each other though.

Ciao!

Iris, weren't you supposed to send me some updated maps?

I have my cb on 19 most of the time.

I feel pretty lucky to go too!
Mr Bill, I run a GMRS Chatterbox. Is that the same thing or compatible with a CB? See how expereinced I am with my new CBox?

JMarran, I usually don't have too much trouble keeping up unless I'm riding with Jeff Ashe & that crew that he hangs with. They are consistently waiting on me. Not because I am slow. Because they are fast.

But you do have that right about being behind Iris. I hear that she's toned it down a little.

I'm a new guy 'round these parts, but I'd love to attend this ride. I'm not one for big crowds like Americade, so this is more my thing.

Still room for one more? I'd prolly be leaving from NYC (though I keep the bike in Mahwah, NJ and could also leave ffrom there).

Cheers!

RLB, I don't think that you've been follwing this thread much. There seems to be quite a crowd gathering around this ride. KEWEL!!!

I am quite positive that I can comfortably say that you'd definitely be invited... unless they've put a cap on the amount of attendees... which I haven't heard being considered.

When are you talking about coming into town? There is planned riding Friday & Saturday.

I myself will be leaving Norfolk on Wednesday afternoon, riding to my bestest buddy's house in NJ & finishing the ride up on Thursday morning.

This looks like it's gonna' be a fun one!

Ok, I just went to look. This is the last list that I've seen:

Friday's Headcount (so far as I know) here's the list of peeps:

Geezer

Luvtoride

Nice Rumble

Jmarran

ZOOOMM

herfjr

MartyA and Sally

Saturday's headcount (so far)is as follows.......

Geezer

Luvtoride

Nice Rumble

Jmarran

ZOOOMM

herfjr

MartyA and Sally

Randy

yellowmagnaman

BkrK12

Mr. Bill

S76

Fred W

RacinRay

FJRski and Mrs.

Tim05fjr

and Cheryl

Conrad

ShawnKing & Mrs.

DailyCommuter

v65 ?

stormrider ?

FJrider1 ?

roadrunner ?

cota95 ?

Greg E ?

Jaycen ?

Pierre ?

SPORT ?

fjrjon ?

Mr Bill, I run a GMRS Chatterbox. Is that the same thing or compatible with a CB? See how expereinced I am with my new CBox?
GMRS is too new for us old folk in New England :)

CB is what they use in the movies like Cannonball Run, Smokey and the Bandit, Convoy, and everyones favorite the Dukes of Hazzard.

Looks like my new seat will be here Friday - just in time to break it in for the big Adirondacks ride. Also - got my new tire installed on Friday as well as my 8k service. Now to start packing and pick a room - I'm sooooo ready for this!

Put my name on that list! :yahoo:

I'll be riding in on the 13th and should arrive in time for dinner.

VH

luvtoride,

Just want to confirm: I will be at both the 13th and the 14th rides as far as I know right now and ...I CANT WAIT for either - WOO HOO!!! :)

FJR Jon

I posted in another section about how the GMRS Chatterbox and those cheap 2-way FRS/GMRS Cobra and Kenwood radios you can get at Wally World are compatible. I got a set ($29) last year and they plug into the Starcom and work fine with a PTT. In my other group this past week we put a couple radios at the front, one in the middle, and one with the sweeper. Helps tremendously keeping the group together, we can signal if there is a problem in the middle or back. A couple of the riders have Chatterboxes and a couple like me have the Cobra's.

Sally and I are still planning on coming both days. I have to make a side trip to OBX the weekend before.

Well cool Marty. Perhaps you can direct me in being radio compatible with all them folks w/ antiquated CB. (dig dig)

The Outer Banks... now, you're talking about my neck o da' woods. Have fun. It'll probably be pretty busy down there. Summer is the OBX's busy season.

FJRJon, the folks to confirm with are Iris (herfjr) &/or Jim (Zooom). I'm riding in like most other participants. I am not the organizer... but I am certainly a proud Norfolkian,

Heidi

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I'd like to get in as much riding as possible so I intend to do both days, therefore leave on Thursday early afternoon to arrive just before dinner. I'll confirm that by this weekend at the latest.

If there's a big benefit to having communications like FRS radios, etc., let me know what's best to get and I'll make sure to install before the ride. FRS or CB? I'll prolly need a Starcom, since I use a Zumo for Navi and XM right now, too.

I'll scan for hotels.

Cheers!

RLB, I don't think that you've been follwing this thread much. There seems to be quite a crowd gathering around this ride. KEWEL!!!
I am quite positive that I can comfortably say that you'd definitely be invited... unless they've put a cap on the amount of attendees... which I haven't heard being considered.

When are you talking about coming into town? There is planned riding Friday & Saturday.

I myself will be leaving Norfolk on Wednesday afternoon, riding to my bestest buddy's house in NJ & finishing the ride up on Thursday morning.

This looks like it's gonna' be a fun one!

Ok, I just went to look. This is the last list that I've seen:

Geezer

Luvtoride

Nice Rumble

Jmarran

ZOOOMM

herfjr

MartyA and Sally

Geezer

Luvtoride

Nice Rumble

Jmarran

ZOOOMM

herfjr

MartyA and Sally

Randy

yellowmagnaman

BkrK12

Mr. Bill

S76

Fred W

RacinRay

FJRski and Mrs.

Tim05fjr

and Cheryl

Conrad

ShawnKing & Mrs.

DailyCommuter

v65 ?

stormrider ?

FJrider1 ?

roadrunner ?

cota95 ?

Greg E ?

Jaycen ?

Pierre ?

SPORT ?

fjrjon ?

RLB, if you're adding a radio, definitely make it GMRS.

NEW UPDATED head count for Friday

Geezer

Luvtoride

Nice Rumble

Jmarran

ZOOOMM

herfjr

MartyA and Sally

fjrjon

revlimitbounce

Dave the Brit

Alex

Matt

NEW UPDATED head count for Saturday

Geezer

Luvtoride

Nice Rumble

Jmarran

ZOOOMM

herfjr

MartyA and Sally

yellowmagnaman

Mr. Bill

S76

RacinRay

Tim05fjr

and Cheryl

Conrad

ShawnKing & Mrs.

DailyCommuter

fjrjon

VanHarlan

revlimitbounce

road runner and

friend with Busa

Our friend Dave the Brit

Alex

Matt

Todd

FJrider1 ?

Greg E ?

Let me know if you have edits to this list, and I'll update again......

Okay, thanks.
Is there a consensus on which GMRS is best/very good?

RLB, if you're adding a radio, definitely make it GMRS.
RLB, I'm not a good one to answer that question. As Marty said earlier, a fairly cheap setup can be acquired using the 2 way radios (FRS or GMRS) that you'd buy at Walmart. You would need a way to pipe the sound to your helmet & a push to talk button that can be plugged into you cheap radio & attached to your handlebars is probably needed. Look back a few posts for more info. Also, try searching the site for more info on this subject.

I myself run a GMRS Chatterbox that was given to me by a riding bud. Instead of hooking it to my helmet, where it would always look like I'm on the phone, the riding bud gave me a custom bracket that is riveted onto the brake reservoir & allows me to mount my chatterbox, there.