NY - Adirondack's Ride June 14th 2008

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pictures - as promised.

Friday morn for meeting & eeting-

2585972616_d0ee8d73b1.jpg

Geezer w/ his big 'ol grin, FJR Jon, Heidi, Tim & Cheryl-

2585140675_672cb0573f.jpg

That Jim & Iris are just too damn cute together-

2585150657_c4746241d2.jpg

Tim, Cheryl and Heidi taking refuge in some valuable shade at Woodstock

Stupid spiders were sneaky there though-

2585977016_2b8456c284.jpg

The Woodstock Museum-

2585987008_7552dd6fff.jpg

180 degrees in the other direction-

2585989666_06c1913de8.jpg

I hope people enjoy this shot, since I had to stand there covered by 81,000

flys to get it-

2585156773_0437a7b017.jpg

Our stop at Flytown USA-

2585158083_4353d474b3.jpg

"And hey, be careful out there."-

2585997068_3d691815fd.jpg

A nice scenic spot on a kick-ass road-

2586000048_587b605ca6.jpg

2585166767_535dd8f5b0.jpg

2585169211_2502693dba.jpg

Mmmmm, curvy-

2586009360_437d5467d2.jpg

Muh baby-

2585176139_2d72e6fb07.jpg

Lunch stop at Long Lake-

2586014706_455b4de436.jpg

Long Lake International Airport-

2585181095_edd41e6e00.jpg

What can I say?

2586018798_56c0425798.jpg

Hi Cheryl!

2586021182_5b7d852fa2.jpg

If you park here, you get your bike washed for free (by God)-

2586022648_82423a0562.jpg

Sat. evening dinner at Lake George (before Noah came by)-

2585145843_840d93aba4.jpg

This was from Sunday night, but just felt like sharing:

2586138206_753036b57c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics with some brief descriptions:

Here are some pictures - as promised.
Friday morn for meeting & eeting-

2585972616_d0ee8d73b1.jpg

Geezer w/ his big 'ol grin, FJR Jon, Heidi, Tim & Cheryl-

2585140675_672cb0573f.jpg

That Jim & Iris are just too damn cute together-

2585150657_c4746241d2.jpg

Tim, Cheryl and Heidi taking refuge in some valuable shade at Woodstock

Stupid spiders were sneaky there though-

2585977016_2b8456c284.jpg

The Woodstock Museum-

180 degrees in the other direction-

2585989666_06c1913de8.jpg

I hope people enjoy this shot, since I had to stand there covered by 81,000

flys to get it-

2585156773_0437a7b017.jpg

Our stop at Flytown USA-

2585158083_4353d474b3.jpg

"And hey, be careful out there."-

2585997068_3d691815fd.jpg

A nice scenic spot on a kick-ass road-

2586000048_587b605ca6.jpg

2585166767_535dd8f5b0.jpg

2585169211_2502693dba.jpg

Mmmmm, curvy-

2586009360_437d5467d2.jpg

Muh baby-

2585176139_2d72e6fb07.jpg

Lunch stop at Long Lake-

2586014706_455b4de436.jpg

Long Lake International Airport-

2585181095_edd41e6e00.jpg

What can I say?

2586018798_56c0425798.jpg

Hi Cheryl!

2586021182_5b7d852fa2.jpg

If you park here, you get your bike washed for free (by God)-

2586022648_82423a0562.jpg

Sat. evening dinner at Lake George (before Noah came by)-

2585145843_840d93aba4.jpg

This was from Sunday night, but just felt like sharing:

2586138206_753036b57c.jpg

Hi guys! I'm homeeeee! After a VERY long ride home through sweat & pouring rain, I made it home @ 10:15 Monday evening.... only 3 hours after I planned on being home. Someone needs to call Mr. Garmin & straighten out some of the garbled assed directions that those GPS's give. I ran up on an accident along my intended route, so I took off in another direction knowing that my unit would reroute me... which it did. I ended up going the wrong direction on the Penn Turnpike & ended up huge miles out of my way. I realized the error immediately after getting onto the ramp but by that time I was committed & the next exit was about 50 miles in the direction that I didn't intend to go. After I finally stopped & Mr Garmin rerouted me, I ended up all the way over on the east coast down Rte 95, 1 & 13 across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge... when I intended to come down thru DC. Oh well, at least I'm familiar w/ the Rte 13 routing, right?

Following Mr Garmin's directions, I rode thru somewhere west of Wilmington DE... stop light, after stop light after stop light, I arrived just in time for rush hour around Wilminton & onto I-95. I then jumped onto Rte 1 which bypasses Dover, DE. In the distance I can see thunderstorms. Ahhh, after sweating my ass off in stop & go traffic getting wet will be lovely!

Boy was I wrong. The storms hit with some pretty strong gusts... which made for a good soaking of my right side. Slowing down in order to enter the rest area made me even more wet to even out what the wind hadn't touched. The temps dropped by at least 20 degrees. I donned my rainsuit OVER my soaked gear. Somewhere down the road, I stopped to put on a dry shirt, my jackets rain liner over it, my soaked mesh jacket & then my rain gear over it because I was so frappin' cold. Another stop down the road was for dry gloves. The torrential downpours didn't stop for somewhere around 200 miles. It looked much like a giant 200 mile long thunderstorm. I was well into VA's eastern shore when the rain finally stopped. THANK THE GOOD LORD!

I would like to extend HUGE thanks to the folks that made this all possible for me this weekend. Geez, Ms Geez, Tim & Cheryl... Huge thanks for your show of hospitality.... & to the ride's host & hostess, Jim and Iris... thank you so very much for showing some of NY's finest. Greg, thanks for taking me sightseeing. I have some cool pics to show when I download my camera. In the next couple of days, ok?

Glad to meet all that I did. Hope you folks had as much fun as me.

I never did meet Boo Boo Rockafeller (RLB), though. Disappointment abounds!

Will catch ya'll soon, Heidi

Hey Heidi, good to hear you got back OK.

Also it was great getting to see you again too.

I should be seeing you next at EOM if all goes according to plan.

Glad you got home safely Heidi. Sounds like you had quite an adventure getting there. It was a pleasure riding with you and the Mrs and I enjoyed your company while you were here.

Glad you made it home safely Heidi.

I got your cell phone message this morning and you made me chuckle. I know what it's like to ride in the unbearable heat and then welcome the oncoming rain and just after doing so, the downpour starts.....and then freezing and shivering while having a perfectly dry rainsuit tucked away in a bag somewhere. :unsure:

Anyway, it made me laugh. Welcome home.

It was great seeing you and I am glad you had a good time.

-Iris

Wowzer Heidi - that sounds like quite the ride home! Glad you made it back safe & sound. It was a great pleasure to meet you, and to enjoy the ride with everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again somewhere down the road. Hopefully we can do this one again next year - and maybe they'll do the New Hampshire ride again this year - looked like a great time last year.

VH

Glad you got home safely Heidi. Sounds like you had quite an adventure getting there. It was a pleasure riding with you and the Mrs and I enjoyed your company while you were here.
Geez, it was certainly a pleasure riding with you, also. I had a great time! Please tell Nancy "hello" from me.

Definitely, we'll be riding together again soon.

Jon, thanks again for the right hand mirror. ;)

Harlan, great meeting you, also.

Awesome pictures folks!

Heidi

Hi Heidi:

I think you did meet me (I met you!) Obviously, I didn't make a Rockafellerian impression on you! I was in the lead group on Saturday, but you were in sweep position, so we weren't really in touch much.

Which all means we have to meet up on another ride sometime soon.

By the way, I got caught in Biblical rain on the ride home, too, leaving the lunch stop on Sat at about 2pm. By 3pm, on the NY State thruway, I was gettin' drenched and thundered and lighting-ed.

See ya,

RLB / BBR / Jim

Hi guys! I'm homeeeee! After a VERY long ride home through sweat & pouring rain, I made it home @ 10:15 Monday evening.... only 3 hours after I planned on being home. Someone needs to call Mr. Garmin & straighten out some of the garbled assed directions that those GPS's give. I ran up on an accident along my intended route, so I took off in another direction knowing that my unit would reroute me... which it did. I ended up going the wrong direction on the Penn Turnpike & ended up huge miles out of my way. I realized the error immediately after getting onto the ramp but by that time I was committed & the next exit was about 50 miles in the direction that I didn't intend to go. After I finally stopped & Mr Garmin rerouted me, I ended up all the way over on the east coast down Rte 95, 1 & 13 across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge... when I intended to come down thru DC. Oh well, at least I'm familiar w/ the Rte 13 routing, right?
Following Mr Garmin's directions, I rode thru somewhere west of Wilmington DE... stop light, after stop light after stop light, I arrived just in time for rush hour around Wilminton & onto I-95. I then jumped onto Rte 1 which bypasses Dover, DE. In the distance I can see thunderstorms. Ahhh, after sweating my ass off in stop & go traffic getting wet will be lovely!

Boy was I wrong. The storms hit with some pretty strong gusts... which made for a good soaking of my right side. Slowing down in order to enter the rest area made me even more wet to even out what the wind hadn't touched. The temps dropped by at least 20 degrees. I donned my rainsuit OVER my soaked gear. Somewhere down the road, I stopped to put on a dry shirt, my jackets rain liner over it, my soaked mesh jacket & then my rain gear over it because I was so frappin' cold. Another stop down the road was for dry gloves. The torrential downpours didn't stop for somewhere around 200 miles. It looked much like a giant 200 mile long thunderstorm. I was well into VA's eastern shore when the rain finally stopped. THANK THE GOOD LORD!

I would like to extend HUGE thanks to the folks that made this all possible for me this weekend. Geez, Ms Geez, Tim & Cheryl... Huge thanks for your show of hospitality.... & to the ride's host & hostess, Jim and Iris... thank you so very much for showing some of NY's finest. Greg, thanks for taking me sightseeing. I have some cool pics to show when I download my camera. In the next couple of days, ok?

Glad to meet all that I did. Hope you folks had as much fun as me.

I never did meet Boo Boo Rockafeller (RLB), though. Disappointment abounds!

Will catch ya'll soon, Heidi

The Woodstock Museum-
A story and a *minor* correction.

I had told my wife about your get together but, as I said earlier, we (I) couldn't make it.

But, this past Thursday, we took off for a ride and "ended up" in the general area of Phoenicia, NY. Sweet Sue's was closed so we ended up in a Tex-Mex "cantina" (good beer, average food, *terrible* ribs). Weather started to come in over the mountain so my wife suggested we spend the night (at the beautiful but *really* expensive Emerson Resort and Spa) and, next day, go to Woodstock. At that moment, my brain fried.

I say brain fried because I had read the thread here and, being a trivia fanatic, knew that Woodstock: The Town is nowhere near Woodstock: The Concert Site. I blame the above picture for the confusion (here is where the correction comes in).

The picture is titled "The Woodstock Museum". I "ask" my GPS for directions to "The Woodstock Museum". It dutifully takes us to "The Woodstock Museum"...which is not only nowhere near the actual site of Woodstock, it's not even near the *town* of Woodstock!

Turns out, the above picture is of the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts (and is the actual location of Woodstock: The Concert Site) which we did find *after* going to the town of Woodstock which has certainly embraced the capitalism ethos and turned their lack of a concert into a plus. :)

I had told my wife about your get together but, as I said earlier, we (I) couldn't make it.

But, this past Thursday, we took off for a ride and "ended up" in the general area of Phoenicia, NY. Sweet Sue's was closed so we ended up in a Tex-Mex "cantina" (good beer, average food, *terrible* ribs). Weather started to come in over the mountain so my wife suggested we spend the night (at the beautiful but *really* expensive Emerson Resort and Spa) and, next day, go to Woodstock. At that moment, my brain fried.

I say brain fried because I had read the thread here and, being a trivia fanatic, knew that Woodstock: The Town is nowhere near Woodstock: The Concert Site. I blame the above picture for the confusion (here is where the correction comes in).

The picture is titled "The Woodstock Museum". I "ask" my GPS for directions to "The Woodstock Museum". It dutifully takes us to "The Woodstock Museum"...which is not only nowhere near the actual site of Woodstock, it's not even near the *town* of Woodstock!

Turns out, the above picture is of the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts (and is the actual location of Woodstock: The Concert Site) which we did find *after* going to the town of Woodstock which has certainly embraced the capitalism ethos and turned their lack of a concert into a plus. :)
lol - Yes, the Emerson is VERY expensive. Their target market is the rich and famous who want to get away without having to travel far from NY City. The Cobblestone in Phoenicia is a nice, and much more reasonably priced place to spend the night.

The Town of Woodstock is actually a big area that is mostly rural. It has always been an art colony and many residents are artists and musicians. The business district caters primarily to people who come out of NY City for the weekend.

I never heard of the Woodstock Museum that you found, but there are a lot of small museums in the Catskills celebrating the past of the local communities, so I'm not surprised they have one.

The Bethel Woods center for the arts has been around for a while, but they recently opened The museum at Bethel Woods for the original Woodstock concert. The center and museum are at the original site of Yasgur's Farm, where the Woodstock concert took place in 1969. If you are into music it is worth a visit, and we rode some nice roads getting to and from the site.

Hey,

I just remembered I took some photos from Fridays trip and thought you all may want to see 'em, ...sooo with our further delay here is a link to a page with my pictures, I didn’t want to take up forum bandwidth - figured this was best... :) Enjoy...

FJR Jon

Pictures from Friday the 13th...

*It was great to ride with other FJRs and meet all of you that went to the Friday ride, wish I couls have made the Sat. ride too, but things alwasy seem to come up... maybe next ride...

lol - Yes, the Emerson is VERY expensive. Their target market is the rich and famous who want to get away without having to travel far from NY City. The Cobblestone in Phoenicia is a nice, and much more reasonably priced place to spend the night.
*NOW* you tell me! :)

The Town of Woodstock is actually a big area that is mostly rural. It has always been an art colony and many residents are artists and musicians. The business district caters primarily to people who come out of NY City for the weekend.
And twentysomething hippie wannabees... :)

The center and museum are at the original site of Yasgur's Farm, where the Woodstock concert took place in 1969. If you are into music it is worth a visit, and we rode some nice roads getting to and from the site.
Yeah, we had a blast riding around and the museum was very informative too. I finally found out exactly *why* it was called Woodstock but happened outside of Bethel. That alone made the trip worth it. :)

Hey,

*It was great to ride with other FJRs and meet all of you that went to the Friday ride, wish I couls have made the Sat. ride too, but things alwasy seem to come up... maybe next ride...
Great pics Jon. We were glad that you could come along. See you again soon.

Jim

The Woodstock Museum-

Damn Shawn,

Sorry 'bout that, but that'll teach you to take direction from a tag-along with ADD. :dntknw:

The good news is, I'm sure you still had a nice ride. :sorry:

If it is not in September I would be more able to go, even if it is late August, ... been wanting to go to VT for a while now too... maybe good timing.

Will keep an eye on this one for sure to see what the outcome is. :eek:k:

FJR Jon

I'd be really interested in any routes you put together through Vermont. Were heading down to Lake George in 3 weeks (sorry I couldn't make this trip) and planning a ride up to Smugglers Notch, and, the 6 gaps ride.

I'd love to ride Vermont with you. My calendar is already pretty full with NAFO in July and EOM in September. I also have a couple of weekends in August booked for non-motorcycle events. Pick a weekend and I'll be there if I can.