Oil Drain Bolt Gasket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally forge my own washer/gasket/sealer from unobtanium taken from the mines of Mordor by Dwarves. Takes some time and I use a couple of tanks of of propane, but I've never had a leak. When I'm too busy to do that I just go to Autozone and buy a bag of them.
I sense a missed opportunity; you could sell those. ;)

I'd like to see his import permits before I send money.

Last edited by a moderator:
And just like that, this thread goes straight down the .... wait for it .... drain.

I know this is old news/tip/neprt material, but from the info on this thread (I think), I sourced the Honda washer/gasket at the local shop. FYI, part number 94109-14000. HTH.
I like it, ^^^^ less than $14 for 50 on Amazon! That will keep the fleet in gaskets for a year or two...
bike.gif
bike.gif
bike.gif

--G

Washers are used as a mechanical interface between a fastener, usually a nut, and a surface being fastened, to help spread the load across a larger surface area.
Gaskets are used as an interface between two surfaces to help improve a seal. Usually softer materials are used that can conform to whatever irregularities there are in the two surfaces being sealed.

A washer can also be a gasket and vice versa.
.Thanks Fred, I now feel much more informed now. I for one will never call a threaded plug washer a gasket, never.

Yamaha no longer uses the crush washer in any of its positions on the FJR. Two on the final drive and one on the oil drain plug. They now only use a solid aluminum washer. Also available from your local dealer, even though you can still buy the crush washer. I normally buy 20 or 25 of them at a time, as I change all the oils at very oil change and therefor require 3 washers per change. I have also replaced both drain plugs with Gold Plug magnetic stainless steel bolts.

NO problems, NO worries, No issues.

The inherent problem with the crush washer are torque issues, non reusabilty and potential leaks, as the seal is formed by crushing the part.

Hmmm, maybe it has happened, but I've never experienced or heard of a leak resulting from reusing a washer, be it crush, copper, aluminum or any other material.

Yamaha no longer uses the crush washer in any of its positions on the FJR. Two on the final drive and one on the oil drain plug. They now only use a solid aluminum washer. Also available from your local dealer, even though you can still buy the crush washer. I normally buy 20 or 25 of them at a time, as I change all the oils at very oil change and therefor require 3 washers per change. I have also replaced both drain plugs with Gold Plug magnetic stainless steel bolts. NO problems, NO worries, No issues. The inherent problem with the crush washer are torque issues, non reusabilty and potential leaks, as the seal is formed by crushing the part.
Since when?

My '14 came with "crushed" washers in all 3 locations, all of which have worked fine multiple times (I have not replaced any of them)

Any other '15 owners find anything other than (fully) crushed washers on their drain plugs?

I believe crush washers are made of aluminum and have a stepped contour that facilitates the "crush" characteristic. So what has changed?

BMW used to use a rolled copper washer/gasket for drain and fill plugs. They long ago went to what look to be aluminum washers that deform at least to some degree to provide some sealing function. The solid gold Yamaha pieces I got earlier from the dealer seemed to be aluminum but had some sort of contour like Pterodactyl describes; the (obviously inferior) Honda pieces I bought are rectangular section aluminum. I'm sure my final drive will self-destruct from their use.

Last edited by a moderator: