Oil Drain Bolt Gasket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new [used] '15 came with standard issue crush washers at all three locations. OTOH, my Tenere uses aluminum washers on the sump and crush washers on the FD...hope neither one blows up!
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

Reused the crushwasher on my FJR for years and never had an issue. A few oil changes ago, a friend of mine showed up just as I was breaking the bolt. He started "helping" and while I was doing something else, I caught him with a screwdriver and my drain bolt, washer half way up the threads and mangled.

WTF??!! He told me he was surprised my washer was stuck on so tight. I explained to him it had 40k miles on it. Then he said, "WTF, I change them every change and I don't need to?" Haha...I happened to have some extras, so no harm. I just put a new one on there and it's been good ever since. My buddy still has not changed a crushwasher since that day, and no leaks for him either. Haha...

As a side note, no vehicle I've ever owned has needed a crush washer and none of them ever leaked a drop. Why are MC processes so fucking involved when they don't need to be? If Ford, GM, and all the other car/truck manufacturers can make an oil pan and plug that doesn't need a crush washer, I'm sure Yamaha can figure it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
...If Ford, GM, and all the other car/truck manufacturers can make an oil pan and plug that doesn't need a crush washer, I'm sure Yamaha can figure it out.
Yamaha have figured it out. Get people to keep buying the things gives Yamaha ongoing profit.

They also say to change brake hoses every 4 years. Does anybody do that?

As a side note, no vehicle I've ever owned has needed a crush washer and none of them ever leaked a drop. Why are MC processes so fucking involved when they don't need to be? If Ford, GM, and all the other car/truck manufacturers can make an oil pan and plug that doesn't need a crush washer, I'm sure Yamaha can figure it out.
I've wondered the same thing. Before I retired, my commuter vehicle was a '97 Chevy Cavalier. The drain plug on it had an o-ring in it and no washer. I thought that was a neat idea. My Toyota pickup uses a washer. Maybe it's a Japanese thing.

I've wondered the same thing. Before I retired, my commuter vehicle was a '97 Chevy Cavalier. The drain plug on it had an o-ring in it and no washer. I thought that was a neat idea. My Toyota pickup uses a washer. Maybe it's a Japanese thing.

The main function of the crush washer is so when the kid at the dealer nails it with air wrench he'll get that little bit of warning to allow it to torque to 100 lb/ft but stop just before he screws it right through the pan.

'07 Explorer has the o-ring also on the drain plug. Noticed during the last couple of changes that it's deteriorating with a free end pulling away from the plug. Not leaking now but it's only going to get worse every time I tighten it. Was wondering if adding a washer would work when the time comes.

'07 Explorer has the o-ring also on the drain plug. Noticed during the last couple of changes that it's deteriorating with a free end pulling away from the plug. Not leaking now but it's only going to get worse every time I tighten it. Was wondering if adding a washer would work when the time comes.
If the first one lasted 8 years, I think I'd replace the o-ring and go for 8 more.

If the first one lasted 8 years, I think I'd replace the o-ring and go for 8 more.
Lol. Yup, makes sense. Even if I can't replace just the o-ring and have to go for a new plug. The ring itself almost looks pressed into the underside of the bolt head which I thought might be similar to what you had. I'll think more about it sometime in the future but the car just may have a For Sale sign on it before that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno...I think changing crush washers is a good idea...but I'm not sure. I'll just stock up on them and corner the market. Right Blitzer?

Lol. Yup, makes sense. Even if I can't replace just the o-ring and have to go for a new plug. The ring itself almost looks pressed into the underside of the bolt head which I thought might be similar to what you had. I'll think more about it sometime in the future but the car just may have a For Sale sign on it before that.
That sounds like the one on the Cavalier. I never tried to remove the o-ring, but it seemed part of the plug.

OMG!!!
4 pages and 71 posts on oil plug washers! You folks need to get a life!

Yep, wintertime for most parts has arrived.
Yep! And here you are taking part,
thumbsup_zps3bf1eb32.gif

OMG!!!
4 pages and 71 posts on oil plug washers! You folks need to get a life!

Yep, wintertime for most parts has arrived.
Well it's either that or watching Rex and the Bills take on New England!

Ok. Point made.

Off to the couch.

Every car I've owned as an adult has had a crush washer. VW went a step farther: If you wanted/felt compelled to replace the washer...you had to replace the plug too, as the washer was fabbed as a captive part. Stoopid.

@BigOgre - I believe that your Exploder's drain plug is like the one on GM Saabs, and yes, the o-ring is replaceable. It fits into a recessed groove in the plug, but you can pick it out with a sharp tool (like a pick?)

They are called a "drain plug gasket."

Every car I've owned as an adult has had a crush washer. VW went a step farther: If you wanted/felt compelled to replace the washer...you had to replace the plug too, as the washer was fabbed as a captive part. Stoopid.
I suspect that was to keep the guys in the service bay from leaving it off.