Oil Drain Bolt Gasket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3918192 is the Cummins part #,should be able to get it at any midrange dealer as it's very commom in the fuel supply system.

You can also check with any hydraulics repair shops in your area. They're used in various sizes on cylinders for everything from fork lifts to log splitters and cranes.

Looking to see if anyone has a source other than the stealer for the metal gasket (or as others have called it, the crush washer.)
I just go down to the local auto supply store and buy a pack of 6 plastic oil plug washers of the correct size for just a few bucks. Just remember with the plastic ones change them every oil change. But they are so cheap its not a problem. I've been doing this on my ride since I bought it. Bike has 150000 miles on it and I have never had a problem.

- Colin

I got mine reusable sealing washer at a Kenworth (truck dealer)? Part no. 3936988cum. I paid 3.58 ea. for 2, oil pan and diff. I just reuse, never had a problem. They will probably be cheaper in the states!

Did you ever wonder why they're called washers?
rolleyes.gif

Me too. But I can see the logic in calling them gaskets.
The Forum should never let any minutia go unaddressed
wink.png
Heck, this may turn out to be a life or death discussion.

In most automotive applications soft metallic washers, such as copper, aluminum or crush can be used as gaskets. Gaskets which contain nonmetallic component(s) such as rubber, nitrile or silicon are almost never used as washers. Some washers made of solid silicon or rubber for vibration damping are indeed washers. Other discs made of rubber or fiber for sealing plumbing are colloquially called washers but are in fact gaskets.

Without naming a dozen specific types of washers, lets just agree to disagree that they fall into two broad areas in automotive applications, true washers and soft metallic washers used as gaskets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine reusable sealing washer at a Kenworth (truck dealer)? Part no. 3936988cum. I paid 3.58 ea. for 2, oil pan and diff. I just reuse, never had a problem. They will probably be cheaper in the states!
I have to give you a two thumbs up for that ..Sir! Amazing that some else thought of reusing something in a throw-away world!

Washers are used as a mechanical interface between a fastener, usually a nut, and a surface being fastened, to help spread the load across a larger surface area.

Gaskets are used as an interface between two surfaces to help improve a seal. Usually softer materials are used that can conform to whatever irregularities there are in the two surfaces being sealed.

A washer can also be a gasket and vice versa.

How many different ways can this subject be looked at?????? The ass gasket from Bust's FJR approved anus shaving kit would probably work just fine.
rolleyes.gif
Sorry couldn't help myself .

I went to the Kawasaki dealer and asked for "crush washers" and he sold me these. Do you think they'll be OK?
wink.png
Sure, why not... if it works for Kawi, it'll work on an FJR. How much $$$ for the five?
--G
I was just being silly since they're labeled "gaskets." I paid $1.30 for five, but I'm not sure they're the right size for the FJR. One of 'em worked fine on my Toyota truck.

I know this is old news/tip/neprt material, but from the info on this thread (I think), I sourced the Honda washer/gasket at the local shop. FYI, part number 94109-14000. HTH.

I know this is old news/tip/neprt material, but from the info on this thread (I think), I sourced the Honda washer/gasket at the local shop. FYI, part number 94109-14000. HTH.
This may be old news but I have yet to replace my OEM factory installed oil drain bolt gasket/crush washer on my '07. 86K+ miles, averaging about 4K miles per oil change and it doesn't leak yet. IMHO solving a non-existent problem. YMMV.

This may be old news but I have yet to replace my OEM factory installed oil drain bolt gasket/crush washer on my '07. 86K+ miles, averaging about 4K miles per oil change and it doesn't leak yet. IMHO solving a non-existent problem. YMMV.
Yeah. I never changed one on my 'old Wing, and it made 111,000 miles without leaking. I changed the one on my 15-year-old (at the time) Kawasaki and my 10-year-old Toyota just because .... but neither was leaking,

We had this discussion at the Kaw shop when I bought the washers, and the service manage said he wouldn't do an oil change without changing it. But to be fair, if the shop changes it, and one out of some large number leaks, it's their fault. The customer has someone to blame. If I change it and it leaks, I got nobody but myself. ;)

If you want to change it for your own peace of mind, who am I to argue?

I personally forge my own washer/gasket/sealer from unobtanium taken from the mines of Mordor by Dwarves. Takes some time and I use a couple of tanks of of propane, but I've never had a leak. When I'm too busy to do that I just go to Autozone and buy a bag of them.