OK Midwesterners--Who Rode Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rode in 4 inches of snow in Oklahoma City back when I was younger and MCY was my only means of transport. They don't have a snowplow fleet in OK City...they just have a blade that put on the city garbage trucks. I made it into work okay while others didn't...

...it was fun seeing the looks on others faces as I passed them.

I rode in this morning. Gauge on the bike read 30 degrees as I was pulling into the parking lot. As long as it stays relatively dry, I will keep riding at least down into the 20's.

I rode in this morning. Gauge on the bike read 30 degrees as I was pulling into the parking lot. As long as it stays relatively dry, I will keep riding at least down into the 20's.
Just got in office as well. Mine said 36. I am trying to decide if I should get heated Honda grips or bandit guards.

Rode to work, and then another 120 miles out to a job-site and back this morning. Lowest temp I saw was 23 degrees. I have to admit that my hands were starting to get a little cold.

I never commute on my bike. It doesn't do stairs too well. (My office is upstairs over my garage)
Mine is located 25 feet down the main hall from the master BR, and Momma doesn't like tire tracks on the rug, so it's a no-go for me as well.... :rolleyes:

I rode yesterday, and the ride home in the drizzle and fog wasn't the worst ride I have been on. I had to take my son to daycare today, so no bike. Besides, it is supposed to start snowing later this afternoon. Maybe next week if the roads are OK.

I never commute on my bike. It doesn't do stairs too well. (My office is upstairs over my garage)
Mine is located 25 feet down the main hall from the master BR, and Momma doesn't like tire tracks on the rug, so it's a no-go for me as well.... :rolleyes:
I think that we are the commuters of the future, you and I, Jeff. As it becomes increasingly more expensive to power automobiles either a lot more people will live in the cities (not likely) or telecommute.

I used to spend ~2 hours a day in my car driving back and forth to work.

That's 10 hours a week. 500 hours a year. What a waste.

Those were some pretty good hours back then too (I was younger). I want them back. :unsure:

I think that we are the commuters of the future, you and I, Jeff. As it becomes increasingly more expensive to power automobiles either a lot more people will live in the cities (not likely) or telecommute.
I used to spend ~2 hours a day in my car driving back and forth to work.

That's 10 hours a week. 500 hours a year. What a waste.

Those were some pretty good hours back then too (I was younger). I want them back. :unsure:
I know what you mean, Fred. Time spent stuck in traffic, driving to or from work, especially to jobs I didn't really like, always made me feel like I was throwing that part of my life away. Fortunately, I now have a job I love, and it is carried out from the comforts of my domicile. I have a picture sitting on my desk of a cubicle type work environament, to remind me of where I used to be, and to help me make sure I don't go back there...

Back on topic, I was vacationing in my home state of Minnesota over the weekend, and saw very few motorcycles on the road. I thought that odd, as it is still fairly seasonable, (high of 51 on Monday). Pretty overcast and gloomy, however...

Back on topic, I was vacationing in my home state of Minnesota over the weekend, and saw very few motorcycles on the road. I thought that odd, as it is still fairly seasonable, (high of 51 on Monday). Pretty overcast and gloomy, however...
I rode for only a couple of hours on Sunday here in New Hampshire. I passed 2 other motorcyclists during the entire time. Temp was in the upper 40's and the sun was shining. I have no idea why everyone puts their bikes away so soon. :unsure:

I had intended to take a nice long ride on Saturday up into the mountains, but came down with some sort of flu-like bug. Too few porta-potties to be out on the road in that condition. :blink:

I'm bustin' in cuz I have an interest in the weather in the midwest for my little trip next month.

I'm with Fred and jmdaniel. I commute down the hall every day. Of course, I could fire up the feej and do a circle around the cul-de-sac, but that seems rather pointless...

Hasn't got that cold during the day yet..I don't ride at night anymore..I become a couch potato :rolleyes: Last winter went out at 17* wasn't bad except for the hands, then it started to snow and decided best to get home quick! Got to find some heated gloves..the Helds are great except ya got to have good blood circulation for them to work..which I don't have :angry2:

Cary

I have ridden just about every day since I purchased the FJR back in May, including every day in November. I leave for work at O'darkthirty and the coldest that I have seen is 25 along the Missouri river. I was perfectly comfortable wearing dress pants, dress shoes, dress shirt, riding gloves, Gerbing heated liner with a hooded sweatshirt over it. I am looking forward to the teens and single digits as long as it is dry. B)

With the price of gas its hard not to ride the bike. I have only filled the truck up once since May 14th. $70 to fill the truck, $16 to fill the FJ........It is also a lot more enjoyable riding than driving the truck. With the Gerbing liner it makes a world of difference. I don't feel like the Michilen Man and am perfectly comfortable. I giggle to myself as I am commuting to work and back and also on the weekends when riding the back roads.

I rode yesterday, despite the potential for afternoon snow. There was no snow when I returned home, only cold November Rain.

I rode yesterday, despite the potential for afternoon snow. There was no snow when I returned home, only cold November Rain.
See, if you did in those cool protective shirts that you were in on our Starve rock run, that would have been impresive. :assassin: :)

I wish I could ride. I'm recovering from surgery on my achilles tendon. It's making me very sad! The feejer's getting all dusty in the garage. :not_i:

Wife and I rode yesterday here in North Texas to my mothers for T-Day.Not one mention of bad weather unless you were heading into the panhandle or far reaches of Northwest Texas.Just cold.We got a lot of looks from folks in cages as they passed us.My Aerostich did its job but the Mrs Tourmaster Jacket failed to keep her toasty.Her Aerostich pants kept her legs dry but I need to send them back for some cuff alterations.The right cuff was catching a lot of air.We had to bug out early to race the snow back to Big D.The snow and sleet pounded all the way to Ft Worth and then broke off as we hit Dallas county.My nephew sent us a video email saying we got out just in time.Abilene got over three inches of snow.Happy Black Friday all and happy hunting in the shopping centers of America!

Last edited by a moderator: