Pilot Road 2 - who's got 'em?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, they are off the boat.yes, they are currently being shipped to distributors (Western Powersports and Parts Unltd.)

yes, they have a pricing and part# and can be ordered through dealer.

yes, they may take a couple weeks to actually get to local shops.

....hmmmmm, can these people read :huh:
What? Huh?

:p

Well, anybody ordered new pr2 tires yet? Are they off the boat and in the computers so we can buy them in the states?
Nope.

Someone is selling pre-orders on Ebay - but they're not here yet.
Claims to have them in stock so I ordered a set. Now I need to find a local shop near Vacaville, CA that will mount them when they arrive.

sorry folks....., just returned from 2,500 mi. run up to Hyder Ak. and could not wait 1 more day for P.R. 2's(which were somewhere in transit?).

Left last Mon. (10th) after installing 'stone 021's. Guess I won't be a guinea pig this time around...., oh well :huh: !

Roamer

p.s. 'stone 021's were $150.00 less (set) and performed well to my satisfaction

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm needing some new tires after my trip to Deals Gap.

My last 2 sets of tires have been Avons.

These new Michelin's have my attention.

Mark

PR2s were put on Friday but only put 200 miles on them this weekend. Right now I can only say they ride like new tires and I like them.

PR2s were put on Friday but only put 200 miles on them this weekend. Right now I can only say they ride like new tires and I like them.
Here are some pictures of Pilot Road 2s installed. I noticed some lettering in the chicken strip area.

0917071353.jpg

0917071351.jpg

0917071350.jpg

Nice....

Pattern looks good... Anyone care to predict what kind of mileage range the skins may roll? My oem Z6's have been good, very predictible BUT... I now have around 6500 miles on them and they are starting to get a flat spot(slower turn ins) and have notice a bit more sliding (when cold) than before. Though, I am satisfied with the tires. I will be watching to see how they hold up. If I was to buy new tires today it would have to be the 021's.

WW

I got the first glimpse of cord on my rear OEM Z6 tire today. Odometer reads 6682 after a 300 mile jaunt in central WI today. I hoped to get more out of it . Front isn't far behind (tread is very thin). PR2s are on my mind.

I cannot help but wonder how many 20 mile round-trip commutes to work that rear has left. A fellow rider said none-go straight to dealer. I may take his advice, I may play the odds...PR2s sound great. Let's see if they pass the household budget.

Just turned 3500 miles on my PR2's and they are by far the very best tire I've had on the FJR.
Hornet,

Man you are cooking! Glad to hear the PR2's are working out. Mine are going to be installed this week. I looked at them and it appears they have more tread than the PR1's. The dealership is charging I believe to be about $239 for the rear tire. My CorsaIII front is still doing fine.

Just turned 3500 miles on my PR2's and they are by far the very best tire I've had on the FJR.
What about road noise?

I put a pilot power on my front and it gives intermitant road hum. air pressure and road surface don't seem to matter. It hums when it feels like it. It can be irritating on a long trip :angry:

Where did you get yours and at what price? (if I may be so bold)
Gpt them from HPcycles off EBay. $295.95/set.
What about road noise?I put a pilot power on my front and it gives intermitant road hum. air pressure and road surface don't seem to matter. It hums when it feels like it. It can be irritating on a long trip :angry:
Haven't noticed any road noise but I wear ear plugs all the time.

Where did you get yours and at what price? (if I may be so bold)
Gpt them from HPcycles off EBay. $295.95/set.
What about road noise?I put a pilot power on my front and it gives intermitant road hum. air pressure and road surface don't seem to matter. It hums when it feels like it. It can be irritating on a long trip :angry:
Haven't noticed any road noise but I wear ear plugs all the time.
Got mine from HPcycles on Ebay. Prodigy motorsports in Vacaville can sell them for $340 a pair. Install and balance is about $100 on the bike or about $50 wheels removed.

I have a set of PR2s on my 04 for 4000km. I have just travelled through Germany and took the opportunity to go fast. My bike has developed a scary weave over 200km/h. It doesn't go away if you try to accelerate through it and it gets really bad when you roll off the throttle. I took off my Vstrom hand guards , no difference, I dropped my tyre pressure from 42/42 to about 38/38, no difference. My bike never did this before and I'm not saying it is definitely is the PR2s but the Avons I had on before didn't do it.

I have a set of PR2s on my 04 for 4000km. I have just travelled through Germany and took the opportunity to go fast. My bike has developed a scary weave over 200km/h. It doesn't go away if you try to accelerate through it and it gets really bad when you roll off the throttle. I took off my Vstrom hand guards , no difference, I dropped my tyre pressure from 42/42 to about 38/38, no difference. My bike never did this before and I'm not saying it is definitely is the PR2s but the Avons I had on before didn't do it.
Check your steering head bearings. I've been well over that speed on my PR'2s and the bike was rock solid.

Just got the October issue of Cycle World, and there is a recall of Michelin Pilot Power models (page 116). Seems there is separation between layers, causing vibration and/or tearing out of pieces of the tread at high speeds. I just wonder if this is your problem too.